FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime Rib, first time. Pretty successful(roasted not smoked)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06 15 8:39 am    Post subject: Prime Rib, first time. Pretty successful(roasted not smoked) Reply with quote

Well, my wife's favorite meal in the world is prime rib. For some reason I have never tried to make one. Well that ended today. I did some research and cooking technique were all over the board. Sear first, sear last, don't sear.... I finally found decided to try one method that was different from all and I'm glad i did.

I started with a 6lb rib roast. I love my pork rubs but don't deal much with beef rubs so I kept it pretty basic.

Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
pinch of dry thyme
fresh rosemary (chopped rough)

The key was in the cooking process. Here are the steps I took.

1. I set the rib roast out for 3 hour to try and get it closer to room temp. (It was 60 degrees at cook time)
2. generously applied the rub ( I like a good crust so I am probably more liberal than most with my rubs)
3. Set oven to 300 degrees and waited until the internal temp got to 124 degrees ( I was shooting for 120 but missed) and here is the trick....
4. Take the rib roast out and cover and let rest for 20 minutes while you turn the oven up to 550 degrees.
5. Once the rib roast has set for 20 mins the internal temp should be up about 5 degrees. Mine got up to 129 degree.
6. Now put in back in the 550 degree oven and this will allow you to finish to your desired crust and allow you to avoid the over cooking of the edges so instead of 1/2' to 1" of gray medium well edges you will have medium rare all the way to the crust.

This was so easy to do and you don't have to get pans out to sear pre or post.

My wife is a prime rib guru and she loved it so i'll put that as a feather in my cap.

Here are some pics.

Resting at 120 degrees

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/portergolf/120%20resting_zpsprge0swf.jpg

Pic 1: Done 137-138 Degrees
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/portergolf/Prime%20rib%201_zps0ha4fqsx.jpg

Pic 2:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/portergolf/Prime%20Rib%202_zpsyfcrrr54.jpg
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07 15 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking rib roast, I love me some beef! Wink Laughing Wink

Please make pictures no longer than 650px on the longest side!

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

Then read this one too! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: