FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scumbag promotors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loafy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 15 8:08 am    Post subject: Scumbag promotors Reply with quote

Well after having several days of successful vending it finally happened.

We set up at a sports show that was supposed to be a Friday-Sunday event with 12k people. Friday I sold 8 sandwhichs. The hot dog guy beside me sold 7 lol

We found out from the door guy the goal for the show was 3k over 3 days but they have never hit it. Saturday I sold 30 but was staring a huge loss right in the face.

Sunday we said he'll with the sports show and set up at our roadside spot (that we told everyone we wouldn't be at till may 9th). Ended up selling out of pit beef pork and chicken and covered my meat costs for the weekend.

My new motto is if there isn't a waiting list it probably isn't worth doing.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 15 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Scumbag promotors Reply with quote

loafy wrote:
Well after having several days of successful vending it finally happened.

We set up at a sports show that was supposed to be a Friday-Sunday event with 12k people. Friday I sold 8 sandwhichs. The hot dog guy beside me sold 7 lol

We found out from the door guy the goal for the show was 3k over 3 days but they have never hit it. Saturday I sold 30 but was staring a huge loss right in the face.

Sunday we said he'll with the sports show and set up at our roadside spot (that we told everyone we wouldn't be at till may 9th). Ended up selling out of pit beef pork and chicken and covered my meat costs for the weekend.

My new motto is if there isn't a waiting list it probably isn't worth doing.

You don't show a location, where are you?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
loafy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 15 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western PA
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 15 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you moved product on Sunday!
Fact is, get used to it my friend...Some have best intentions, others just have sticky fingers.....
I have done a car show where the mother of the promoter set up next to me selling really good, huge burgers for $2.00[ only other food vendor] and every car owner got a ticket to get free food from me [ promoter was to reimburse for ticket] except all 250 +/- [?] were told it was from her booth....
Showed up at a gig 5 hours away where there was going to be 1 other BBQ guy, there were 7 other BBQ guy's the next morning.....Then, when band started inside fenced in beer tent area 100 yards away, they cleared the ENTIRE 50 acre [?] park of anyone not wearing a bracelet for the beer tent....Said they could hear the music and didnt pay!! Recently had one want $1000.00 fee for a brand new, 2 day BBQ event a half hour away, into cow country from a small city...Said $1k JUST covered his costs for me....THEN said there will be 13 MORE food vendors [ but ONLY 3 more BBQ guy's] "We needed to get in year one as there will be a waiting list for vendors next year"....This guy was dead serious!! We will not be attending!!!!! I could go on...
Keep looking Bro! You WILL find a good 1 or 2 around! You will hopefully at least break even on most of the bad ones, weeding them out!
6 years later, we now are blessed with turning down some events with 2 rigs, and are even triple booked for one weekend this summer[ I do have the staff and equipment to pull it off] !!We have found 2 promoters who are straight shooter's that have filled over half our summer, [ between BBQ and music events, some both ] even giving us good events/contacts in other states!![ something I like to do at least once a year, to see new area's, people and promote ourselves ]
It will take some time, but hang in there, good ones ARE out there!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26 15 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Mr. Tony said, most promoters are volunteers and have good intentions, but some are scumbags and don't give a crap if you turn a profit or not. With 1,000's of new vendors every year it's not a problem to fill a venue with vendors it's getting the general public through the gates that's hard. We actually do fewer events now than we used to,for those very reasons. Fortunately we have been around long enough to weed out our bad one's. We actually get at least 2 to 3 calls a week offering us spots, after a while you get a knack for detecting BS. Honestly if we were starting over,I would have just went after 2 to 3 good roadside spots and probably less than 20 events a year down from the 35 we do now and 50 that we used to do (pre-restaurant days). Jim
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: