FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on Stainless ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 3:02 am    Post subject: Thoughts on Stainless ? Reply with quote

Hey guys , I am starting my 1st build and I am doing it out of stainless. My thought process is stainless will last forever. I do have a couple questions. Where can I find info on how big my fire box has to be for the size pipe I am using and length of the stack and width. This is my 1st build so I will be asking questions as I go and posting pics also. What are yalls thoughts on stainless, pros and cons? Thank you!!
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stainless not stainfree.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also more expensive, needs to have cleaner welds and more care and attention in the build to keep it looking good.

You then need to pay more attention to it once it's built in order to keep it looking nice.

Do you work with stainless on a regular basis already?

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Stainless ? Reply with quote

oceanway wrote:
Hey guys , I am starting my 1st build and I am doing it out of stainless. My thought process is stainless will last forever. I do have a couple questions. Where can I find info on how big my fire box has to be for the size pipe I am using and length of the stack and width.

This will get you on the correct track.
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

oceanway wrote:
This is my 1st build so I will be asking questions as I go and posting pics also.

Ask all the questions you need we are here to help. Very Happy

oceanway wrote:
What are yalls thoughts on stainless, pros and cons? Thank you!!

Stainless is great in many ways if you design the cooker so that you allow for the metals intolerance to heat, Stainless likes to move when it gets hot and things like firebox and cooking chamber doors become warped when they are subjected to such heat.
There was a member not long a go that built one out of thin Stainless against mine and others recommendations. He came back asking thoughts on how to reinforce the firebox door because when it got hot it twisted. I gave him ideas but he never posted again saying how it worked out.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the thought to use SS is merely how long it will live/ last, you may want to reconsider. A properly built smoker using 1/4" mild steel may amaze you in how long it will last. The first thing to wear on an offset ( it seems as if that is what you are planning) is the firebox. For one looking for longevity, a good clean out of the ash in the fb after each use goes a long way. Some builders here even add a 'Sacrificial" plate near the top of the FB for even more protection to the top side. One could even go 3/8" pipe and plate to add another 50% to the life if it is of major concern. Lastly, a bit of upkeep and cleanup should provide for a long life just using mild steel and without the headaches. I do like a finely built SS cooker, I just do not see it for the reason listed. Good luck either way, plenty of help here should a need arise. Very Happy
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18 15 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Stainless ? Reply with quote

oceanway wrote:
My thought process is stainless will last forever.

I assume you work with stainless, so I needn't tell you that you will have to throw away all your hammers and clamps and wire wheels that are carbon steel, because they will all impregnate the stainless with carbon and it will rust. There is enough carbon in pencil lead to cause stainless to rust. And sharpies will cause it to rust too.......

One of the companies I worked for did a lot of stainless work, and had a fastener business on the side. A man building a wooden boat bought a ton of stainless nails from them once. He tried to sue them a few years later because he claimed they sold him stainless nails but they were all rusting so they couldn't have been stainless. The company won, because the guy used a regular old hammer, and the heads of the stainless nails rusted right off because of it.

Don't mean to dissuade you from building stainless, but have you thought of lining the inside of your smoker with stainless? I have thought of a removable liner in mine before.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
oceanway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have added that getting the material is fairly easy right now so that's another reason for the stainless.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oceanway wrote:
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have added that getting the material is fairly easy right now so that's another reason for the stainless.

Free or easy is always great oceanway.
Knowing what I know about stainless it would have to be free for me to embark on that journey.
I look forward to following your progress. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23 15 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oceanway wrote:

Free SS is good Exclamation Or should I say free anything is good SS is just prettier Wink
the inside of my UDS is SS and I love it, but I did not have to weld or fabricate with it just drill it so a different animal but I will say if you work with it all the time you will know it's properties and limitations...I hope the best for you lets get posting progress pics Very Happy
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23 15 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole hickory smokers are SS, it works great on the outside of smoker
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24 15 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of stainless grills out there that don't warp. Also, every commercial oven is full of stainless, and it doesn't warp either. I'm not saying it can't warp, but if you don't know what you're doing you may have trouble.

Here are some of the issues you may run into in fabricating stainless:

you can not cut it with an oxy/fuel torch
you will get about 3X the welding distortion
it is much harder to punch and shear
it costs more
if you get the wrong kind it can be a big problem

When I used to bid stainless jobs I'd estimate what it would cost making it with mild steel and multiply by 5.

All that being said, it is certainly possible to build an awesome smoker out of stainless.

seattlepitboss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: