FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Let's Talk About the "Inner Circle"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 15 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:
Well it looks like this thread and the previous has really got peoe posting again. Then again the weather has started allowing for more cooking as well.

As far as an inner circle, I do t think it really exists, but is something some newbs may create in their head before they read enough to "get to know" the members in a way. I've been her for almost 5 years now. Love it here. And since the previous post, have made plans to post several more cooks in the coming summer.

All the long time ringers have always been more than willing to provide advise when I have asked and on occasion I have been able to provide input on some questions. the thing is tell newbs to remember if they get a reply that seems snobbish or snooty is that the vets giving thT answer are only helping you remember the KISS principal (been there before). Bbq is t hard, so why make it more difficult than it has to be?

Cheers men, here's to many more years of reading and KAM using his ultimate like button (I laugh every time)

Alright, Kevin...Time to Tell All Our Kin Here How That " Ultimate Like " button came into Being. Wink

I'll leave The Rest Up To You, Brother! Laughing Laughing Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 15 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
Rinngrizz wrote:
Well it looks like this thread and the previous has really got peoe posting again. Then again the weather has started allowing for more cooking as well.

As far as an inner circle, I do t think it really exists, but is something some newbs may create in their head before they read enough to "get to know" the members in a way. I've been her for almost 5 years now. Love it here. And since the previous post, have made plans to post several more cooks in the coming summer.

All the long time ringers have always been more than willing to provide advise when I have asked and on occasion I have been able to provide input on some questions. the thing is tell newbs to remember if they get a reply that seems snobbish or snooty is that the vets giving thT answer are only helping you remember the KISS principal (been there before). Bbq is t hard, so why make it more difficult than it has to be?

Cheers men, here's to many more years of reading and KAM using his ultimate like button (I laugh every time)

Alright, Kevin...Time to Tell All Our Kin Here How That " Ultimate Like " button came into Being. Wink

I'll leave The Rest Up To You, Brother! Laughing Laughing Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

I believe it may of had something to do with hating the snow Brother Tony. Very Happy Oh and you being a little slow on the draw. Razz Laughing Very Happy
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=664292

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 15 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG...NO CONTEST...

Jus' Shoot me ... Laughing Laughing

'Ya Know, Those were (and Still Are) Fun Time Posts and Replies here on these Forums..We All Need to Bring Them Back and Shake These Forum Cages Up a Bit!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
ZippyMSBS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 15 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a guy Who Lurked,Became a member, Post a time or Two MOSTLY I've LEARED A LOT & REALLY ENJOY THIS Site
& hope others Will Also Very Happy Wink
Eric
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19 15 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to start off by saying that I love this place, and I love BBQ(cooking and eating it). I've tweaked and tried different recipes and cooking methods until I've found something that works for me, and I have to say that now I make some damn good
BBQ, and I owe a lot of it to you guys here. Without this forum and its members, I wouldn't know jack squat about BBQ because I don't know anyone else that BBQs like the fine folks here. I feel that there are lots of great guys, and gals, here with a wealth of knowledge that has helped me become a better Q'r.

I don't know about an "inner circle" but I will say that I've noticed how some members are more popular than others. However, I think a lot of that can be attributed to their constant presence here commenting on topics and posting their own cooks rather than only posting occasionally.

That being said, I haven't ever felt like any one has ever been rude or condescending to me. It just seems like the more guys get to know each other, the more they correspond in posts. So, I would say to new, would be posters, don't get discouraged if your post doesn't get as many replies as a well known ringer, just keep at it and the more you're around, the more friends you'll make.

I've been here for 4yrs now, and altough I have less than 300 posts, I'm lurking here daily, and feel like there are several Ringers I've been casually chatting with over that time that I would consider friends. I just need to get off my butt and post more
dsapp
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21 15 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an "inner circle"? I've always thought of this as just a bunch of folks talking about smoking, building smokers, making mods, burning things, trying things, not doing things again, wishing they could do things again, forgetting things they did and just generally enjoying things. I've always felt welcomed, never left out, and appreciative of all who do post. Too many times I've read posts and had to run off to the store for supplies to "try that". Maybe I should post more pics of cooks, new people would be like "my stuff looks at least that good" and post pics of their cooks.

Now I went and broke my lurking streak and started a posting streak. Laughing
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21 15 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsapp wrote:
What's an "inner circle"? I've always thought of this as just a bunch of folks talking about smoking, building smokers, making mods, burning things, trying things, not doing things again, wishing they could do things again, forgetting things they did and just generally enjoying things. I've always felt welcomed, never left out, and appreciative of all who do post. Too many times I've read posts and had to run off to the store for supplies to "try that". Maybe I should post more pics of cooks, new people would be like "my stuff looks at least that good" and post pics of their cooks.

Now I went and broke my lurking streak and started a posting streak. Laughing

I think it is more of a noob problem, I had it bad when I started out on the fishing forums. You might have the A attitude that I had to learn after becoming self employed 15 years ago.
This place is great. Many places are not as nice.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m all confused am I in the inner circle or on the outside looking in Surprised
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not, but it doesn't bother me. I'll help when I can in my fields. All the learning I have received from TSR makes it worth it.
Cheese, I got to build my smoker.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T00lman wrote:
I,m all confused am I in the inner circle or on the outside looking in Surprised

Have You Filled Out The Application Question

Best Regards,
Tony Very Happy
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
T00lman wrote:

Have You Filled Out The Application Question

Best Regards,
Tony Very Happy

Now that's funny..
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsapp wrote:
Too many times I've read posts and had to run off to the store for supplies to "try that".

YUP! I've found myself doing that too, without realizing it until I've returned from the store (and my wife saying "NOW what grand experiment are you doing?" Laughing ). That's one of the many reasons this site is so great, and those 'experiments' usually come out excellent.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 3:32 pm    Post subject: Perspective of a noob Reply with quote

So, being a relatively new member here:

What I like is the information about cooking barbecue and all the different perspectives. For that, there is no better place than the Ring.

What I can be without, and where the term inner circle could be applied, is the threads with pictures of someone's Friday dinner, followed by a long series of posts saying "that looks wonderful" and "I wish I was there". It feels like a group of old ladies at the retirement home praising each other's cake recipes, except in this case they haven't even tasted the cakes. Perhaps that stuff could be moved to a separate forum other than the General BBQ Discussion so that it does not get in the way of the interesting discussions.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Perspective of a noob Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
It feels like a group of old ladies at the retirement home praising each other's cake recipes, except in this case they haven't even tasted the cakes.

Does this mean that you won't be attending next month's knitting circle? We also have bake sales. Rolling Eyes
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Perspective of a noob Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
YardFullOfOak wrote:
It feels like a group of old ladies at the retirement home praising each other's cake recipes, except in this case they haven't even tasted the cakes.

Does this mean that you won't be attending next month's knitting circle? We also have bake sales. Rolling Eyes

Naw, He won't be there Mike. First off, I don't believe he filled out the application and even after an application is approved (If,in fact it IS even approved.) he must be voted into "The Inner Circle" by Members of The Inner Circle Council.

And then ,of course there is the 90 Day Probationary Period during which the Candidate must demonstrate His/Her skills in Knitting, Quilt Embroidery, Cake Baking, and finally-General Barbecue Discussion.

So then-I think it might be some time before any "NEW" members will be accepted into...

The Smoke Ring Forum "Inner Circle" Group. Shocked Wink

Enjoy Your Weekend, Brother! (Easy on the Crocheting, Eh?)

Best Regards,

Tony Laughing
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Perspective of a noob Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
What I can be without, and where the term inner circle could be applied, is the threads with pictures of someone's Friday dinner, followed by a long series of posts saying "that looks wonderful" and "I wish I was there". It feels like a group of old ladies at the retirement home praising each other's cake recipes, except in this case they haven't even tasted the cakes. Perhaps that stuff could be moved to a separate forum other than the General BBQ Discussion so that it does not get in the way of the interesting discussions.

This particular topic has been discussed before.
What a boring place this would be if posts became unanswered.
If someone takes the time to posts pics of their cooks I am going to try my best to give them compliments, especially new members where they are trying to fit in and feel comfortable. It isn't like a bunch of old ladies praising each others cake recipes, it is called being polite, that is how some folks are raised. Wink Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a lot of " nice smoke ring" type responses is something I see and agree with often, and will post when time allows...Just yesterday I replied to MossyMo's chicken wings post with a similar reply, and I meant it!!That doesnt mean I didnt feel the same about many if not all posts!! Tiz my busy season now, and time is short.....
Then again, I used to be more in the "inner circle", but now spend more time in the vending area and PM'ing questions and answers... The "inner circle" was spinning so fast, I flew off and landed on one of my knitting needles, OH, MY SPLEEN!!! Shocked Confused Laughing
Whats a good cooking temp for spleen??? Is it better Sliced or pulled?? Approximate time per pound??..... Wink
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not around as much as I used to be, but I definitely lurk and comment from time to time.

I thought folks liked to to see me, but found out it was actually other things they enjoyed seeing. Very Happy
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Perspective of a noob Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

What a boring place this would be if posts became unanswered.
If someone takes the time to posts pics of their cooks I am going to try my best to give them compliments, especially new members where they are trying to fit in and feel comfortable.

The phenomenon does seems to apply to a much greater degree to a small group of established members praising each other, hence the term inner circle, than to new members.

You may well have correctly identified a need to fit in and be comfortable, though.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22 15 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lantern wrote:
I'm not around as much as I used to be, but I definitely lurk and comment from time to time.

I thought folks liked to to see me, but found out it was actually other things they enjoyed seeing. Very Happy

Lantern, Y'all Know You're Always Welcome Here! Laughing

He!!-We still Don't Know What 'Ya look Like nor does it Matter!

But, By The Way- Can 'ya Knit Question Shocked Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: