FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you clean MIG gun liner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whall
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 11:16 am    Post subject: Can you clean MIG gun liner? Reply with quote

The last time I used my welder it wasn't feeding as smooth as it should. I took the contact tip off and it was stopped up so I changed it. It worked for a little while and clogged again, so I used a tip that was a size bigger and it clogged up too.

I bought some wire cleaner pads from the LWS and installed one. I noticed the liner looked like it was packed full of dirt and grease. Is there something that I can use to clean it out without affecting the welds afterwards?
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to work in a dirty shop, we would take the liners out every Monday and had compressed air blown through them. You will be amazed at how much black crap comes out. We also used one of the felt lubricators that got periodic oiling with lube. The felt not only lubricates the wire but it also wipes off any dirt and dust on the wire before it enters the liner.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used air through my liner as well and it works pretty good. If yours is that dirty though, chances are you will never get it cleaned out. You'll be amazed how nice your welder will run with a new liner, and continue to use the line cleaners (I use 2) and you should be able to stay on top of it and keep it working well.
JM2CW
inkjunkie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 15 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fight with my old Millers line on a regular basis. Only use the machine a few times a year...the $$ spent on a new liner every now and then is well worth the reduced grief...
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 15 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkjunkie wrote:
I used to fight with my old Millers line on a regular basis. Only use the machine a few times a year...the $$ spent on a new liner every now and then is well worth the reduced grief...

The problem there could be the frequency of use. With only a 20' x 20' shop and the only ventilation being whatever cross wind blows through and that I am also grinding in somewhat close proximity to my mig, after a week or two of non use, I have found that some of the grinding dust has fused with the outside wraps of wire. Humidity in the air hastens this. If you uncoil the first wrap and notice the wire one or two wraps down looks much more nice and shiny, that very well may be your culprit. Cure? Grab a cold one (soda) and get out in the shop more often, scrap a few wraps, or possibly go with the smaller 10lb rolls. Or...as mentioned, just replace the liner. But corrosion is the likely problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: