FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike's BBQ House Nacogdoches, TX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 15 3:11 am    Post subject: Mike's BBQ House Nacogdoches, TX Reply with quote

We made a road trip to Houston to help my wife's parents get ready to move into a retirement home middle of last month. The only place I got to stop for some BBQ was Mike's BBQ House in Nacogdoches, TX.

http://mikesbarbequehouse.net

The place had the atmosphere of a joint, where you get a tray and go along the line, the only thing served to you was the meat (already sauced), sides, condiments, & drinks were all self-serve. There was a drive-thru window cobbled onto the side of the building too.

Of course I ordered a 1 meat plate with brisket. It was cut kinda thick. No pinto beans so I had baked beans as a side. My wife had a pulled pork sandwich and cole slaw as her side, and we both drank ice water. Sauce was something homemade but nothing to have any excitement about.

My wife said her meal was OK, but my brisket was cold (not just room temperature, but cold even though I saw it being sliced for my plate), and it was really, really chewy. I went back up to the cash register and asked if my plate could be heated up. Zap, into & out of the microwave it went. Edges of the sliced meat pile were warm but the center was still cold. Still like those erasers we had in grade school was the best thought I had regarding the texture. Very little bark and smoke flavor. I chew away anyway cutting my losses as we still had a ways to go to get to Houston.

Overall I give it 2 stars, an average of 3 for my wife's meal and 1 for mine. I should've ordered the half chicken plate instead of the brisket.

Live & learn.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13 15 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you had such a bad Q-day in Houston. I lived there many yrs. ago & still visit from time to time. In yrs past Harris county was not known for Q, But I wish you had a chance to try Gatlin's or Lenox...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: