FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone got a story similar to this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 25 2015    Post subject: Anyone got a story similar to this? Reply with quote

Since from the get go we have operated as a Catering and Concession business that also operates a restaurant, so we're closed on weekends. Now the funniest part,on a vacant lot next door on weekends something interesting happens. A unlicensed, no health permit , rib vendor set's up and sells ribs, no rent, no taxes,no insurance ,no overhead what so ever !
In fact until I put a stop to it he was ordering his meat with our name on the invoice!

Only in America, where the hard working smaller business is punished and the freeloader goes on punished and rewarded with free health care,free cell phone, and a food voucher!
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 25 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,
Shaking my head!

WTF was the meat purveyor doing by putting your name on his invoices, sounds like there is more than one person who needs a boot inserted into their bunghole~!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Feb 25 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not- I repeat NOT condoning this dude, but: My local auto parts store puts one of the biggest repair shop's name on my purchases to give me a better price due to their volume, which in turn helps keep their volume up, therefore their prices down - This MAY have been a way for your supplier to get you better pricing long term [???]
On the other hand, I am not the type of person to turn someone in to the H.D. on a whim, but this would make me that person in a heartbeat!!!
Every city we set up in as a food truck has laws stating we cannot be within 500' of the corner of any establishment that serves food, and each truck is required to carry a tape measure capable of proving the distance - we can set up as a group [ rally ] but not near any brick n mortar, open at the moment or not.that alone should get him the boot from the po-po, licensed or not!
I had a local veggie farmer ask me if it were ok to set up a veggie stand on my vending lot - I said sure, just not under my permits. Go before the village board for approval and licensing, background check, take a few evenings out of your schedule to get approval and write the check just like I did - havent seen them since!
I am all for entrepreneurship, living the American dream of self sufficiency etc. , just not on my dime!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 26 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar problems in my neighborhood but not that ballsy. The local meat market pulls a gas grill out of a cargo trailer on week days? I won't call them in, but it's kind of BS considering I couldn't even use my trailer smoker by the same code. If he's making that much money maybe you should set this up yourself? I'm sure it's nice having weekends off when your not at events or the option of not signing up for a weekend, but in my case paying my bills comes before personal pleasure. Maybe hire someone to work a trailer there? If the only real problem with your description here is that he is not a licensed business, and he isn't taking from your sales, maybe tell him to pay the man or move on! Restaurants open up around each other all the time to take advantage of the traffic brought in by others. Is he on private property?
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Feb 27 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, he's got nerve...
Open up on the weekend, put the run on him...
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 28 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
I am not- I repeat NOT condoning this dude, but: My local auto parts store puts one of the biggest repair shop's name on my purchases to give me a better price due to their volume, which in turn helps keep their volume up, therefore their prices down - This MAY have been a way for your supplier to get you better pricing long term [???]
On the other hand, I am not the type of person to turn someone in to the H.D. on a whim, but this would make me that person in a heartbeat!!!
Every city we set up in as a food truck has laws stating we cannot be within 500' of the corner of any establishment that serves food, and each truck is required to carry a tape measure capable of proving the distance - we can set up as a group [ rally ] but not near any brick n mortar, open at the moment or not.that alone should get him the boot from the po-po, licensed or not!
I had a local veggie farmer ask me if it were ok to set up a veggie stand on my vending lot - I said sure, just not under my permits. Go before the village board for approval and licensing, background check, take a few evenings out of your schedule to get approval and write the check just like I did - havent seen them since!
I am all for entrepreneurship, living the American dream of self sufficiency etc. , just not on my dime!

The glitch in that it isn't my meat supplier! Basically he's a source of entertainment for us when we're there prepping for our catering job's
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Feb 28 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
I have similar problems in my neighborhood but not that ballsy. The local meat market pulls a gas grill out of a cargo trailer on week days? I won't call them in, but it's kind of BS considering I couldn't even use my trailer smoker by the same code. If he's making that much money maybe you should set this up yourself? I'm sure it's nice having weekends off when your not at events or the option of not signing up for a weekend, but in my case paying my bills comes before personal pleasure. Maybe hire someone to work a trailer there? If the only real problem with your description here is that he is not a licensed business, and he isn't taking from your sales, maybe tell him to pay the man or move on! Restaurants open up around each other all the time to take advantage of the traffic brought in by others. Is he on private property?

Oh we don't have weekends off, 35 festivals and our weekend caterings keep us plenty busy (our restaurant is a week day lunch type stores)
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mar 01 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't assuming you weren't busy, just that you might have more flexibility in life not committing to a 6 or 7 day a week gig if it wasn't necessary. You already pay the rent there is there enough demand to staff it to take advantage of the business opportunity? Is this fella taking advantage of a void that isn't worth your effort? If he was running a proper unit with his own reputation would it matter to you?
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mar 01 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
I wasn't assuming you weren't busy, just that you might have more flexibility in life not committing to a 6 or 7 day a week gig if it wasn't necessary. You already pay the rent there is there enough demand to staff it to take advantage of the business opportunity? Is this fella taking advantage of a void that isn't worth your effort? If he was running a proper unit with his own reputation would it matter to you?

The University across the street is primarily a commuter college, and there is very little traffic in the area on the weekends making it a ideal location for us. The guy that vends on the weekends is the grandson of a gentleman that owned a restaurant from 1956 through the 90 ' s he doesn't hurt our business he is probably grabbing $200 to $300 for the entire weekend. Our operation probably wouldn't work for everyone but it works for us, we don't rely on employees and rarely put employees in a situation where they can steal a number one disadvantage of relying on outsiders.
Liberty1776

PostPosted: Mar 07 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a waitress that was shortstopping customer's inquiries about catering and setting up deals with them on the side...
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

Liberty1776 wrote:
I had a waitress that was shortstopping customer's inquiries about catering and setting up deals with them on the side...

Wow!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...........
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

Liberty1776 wrote:

That's one of the many reasons that we have controlled our "growth" it's a crazy world that we live in huh? Our staff is small and dedicated, but even still, we limit their opportunities to be tempted to steal.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

Someone filtering customers for their own advantage definitely crosses the line, but over the years I've lost some good people only because they were adamant about improving themselves by going out on their own.
Did they steal from us directly...no, but what they learned from us was, I'm sure, a big advantage to them when starting their own endeavors, some quite close in concept to our own, but with their own twist.
It's hard at first to accept, but then at second thought a nice feeling to have helped someone grow their talents into something that you can say to yourself you were a part of.
I guess it all comes down to how confident you are about what your doing, and how on the ball you are to stay ahead of all those that are out to take your place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: