FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decided to build me a Pellet Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FIREMANJIM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15 15 4:30 am    Post subject: Decided to build me a Pellet Smoker Reply with quote

Well I decided to build me a pellet smoker. Looked around and got a few ideas. Bought me a pellet hopper and burner assembly from SmokeDaddy.Com. Burner and hopper unit looks awesome. Cooking chamber is 44"tall 20" wide and 26" deep. It will have 6 cooking racks that are 19" x 24" for a total cooking space of 19sq feet. Inside metal is 11 gauge and outside skin is 16 gauge. Frame is 2" x 2" 14 gauge square tubing. It is insulated with 2" mineral wool high heat insulation. It will have a Tel-Tru thermometer on the door. Has three ports for running meat probes into the cook chamber without having them ran in thru door and messing up the door seal. Has a sloped grease and drippings pan that runs into a 2" channel which then drains to the bottom of the smoker into a stainless steel steam table pan. Got quite a bit done on it this week. Still got to build my door and attach it and build by cooking grates. Then it will be off to the powder coater. Here is some pictures......Let me know what you guys and gals think....

FIREMANJIM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15 15 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else tried a Smoke Daddy Pellet Hopper Assembly??
Dustyh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15 15 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lookin build, I like the idea of buying a hopper and components to build your own pellet smoker. I really like my Yoder pellet smoker for the set it and forget it aspect but am building a new stick burner now because I kinda enjoy tending to a fire and like the smoke you get from wood.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 15 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show when you're knocking the idea around about something...there's somebody with the same idea already part way done with it. Laughing

Man, it is crazy how identical the idea is of what I was just searching for late last night.

And it's looking dang good sir!!
FIREMANJIM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 15 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....Door is built and installed now. Tel-Tru Thermometer installed in the door. Tadpole gasket installed on the door. Pit Probe from the SmokeDaddy Hopper system is installed. De-Staco latches are installed on the door. SmokeDaddy Pellet Hopper Assembly is now installed. Door is swinging on a McMaster Carr Weld On Piano Hinge. All I like on the cooker is building some 3/4" channel to secure the Pit Probe wires you see above the pellet hopper assembly and putting in some grate tilt stops. Got to secure those ugly wires in something. Then she is ready for some powder coating. While she is away getting pretty I will build the 6 cooking grates. Coming along nicely.....

Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21 15 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's really starting to come together FIREMANJIM. Interesting build! I don't know much about vertical cabinets and I have a question. In a previous post you show a picture of a slanted shelf. Is that a grease catch and if so how do you get heat and smoke around it up to the upper shelves?
FIREMANJIM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 15 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cooking chamber is 26" deep. The grease pan is 23" deep. That allows a 1 1/2" channel in the back and front for the heated air and smoke to travel up. The exhaust is mid ways down the side of the cabinet. This allows the heated air to get trapped up high when the fan is not blowing making this cooker's temperature spread from top shelf to bottom shelf almost non existant. I set the temperature at 300 degrees and allowed it to come to temp. Took roughly 35 minutes with a outside temperature of 38 degrees. I put some oven thermometers on each shelf. The bottom shelf closest to the burner was 318 degrees. Next up was 306. The next up is also where the temp probe is located and it was 302. The next two were 298 and the top shelf was 295 degrees. I can live with that. 23 degree spread from top gate to bottom grate.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22 15 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: