FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wheel placement on a trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reeceb73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12 15 11:40 pm    Post subject: wheel placement on a trailer Reply with quote

I have never built a trailer from the ground up. Here is the smoker I will be mounting:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60041

We are going to scrap the trailer we mounted this to and start from scratch.

We are going to make a 5 x 7 trailer for this to sit on. The smoker it 42w x 42 d x 48" tall. I bought a 3500lb, 5' axle with a 4" drop to lower the center of gravity.

I want to mount the smoker on the back of the trailer with the door facing the back so we can use the smoker from the ground instead of from the trailer like we had before.

My question is does it matter how far back I mount the axle? I would like to mount the axle at the back of the trailer to basically center it under the smoker to balance the weight as best I can but want to make sure it won't effect stability when I am pulling it. Also, how long does the tongue of the trailer need to be or is that just preference?
gandrfab
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue weight should be about 10% of the total loaded weight.

The longer the trailer is the easier it is to back up.
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are 2 sites I used to figure my rig out....

http://www.etrailer.com/question-29891.html

http://boldinventions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62:how-to-weigh-your-boat-trailer-part-1&catid=35:articles-about-science&Itemid=55

Hope this helps
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reeceb73, you also need to figure in fenders and light boxes if you use them.
I would figure about 10" forward from the rear for your rear spring hanger. This should allow enough room for your fenders and lights.
This will put your axle about 25.5" forward. Your cooker measures 42" deep so this should put the cooker pretty much over the axle.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like one on either side, usually equally far back with each other, so that they sort of match! Wink Laughing Wink

I tried both on the same side... but the side without the wheels dragged on the ground too much!

I still work here!
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandrfab wrote:

Mr. gandrfab NAILED IT. Don't make the mistake of putting all the weight behind the axle and winding up with negative tongue weight. For a single-axle trailer you want 45% of the weight on each tire and 10% on the tongue. If you get close to that, your trailer rides behind you nice and sweet. If you don't, it will buck side by side violently and very bad things can happen.

My suggestion is don't reinvent the wheel. Don't break new ground. Just do what other people have done and what worked for them will work for you too.

seattlepitboss
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss wrote:
gandrfab wrote:

Mr. gandrfab NAILED IT. Don't make the mistake of putting all the weight behind the axle and winding up with negative tongue weight. For a single-axle trailer you want 45% of the weight on each tire and 10% on the tongue. If you get close to that, your trailer rides behind you nice and sweet. If you don't, it will buck side by side violently and very bad things can happen.

My suggestion is don't reinvent the wheel. Don't break new ground. Just do what other people have done and what worked for them will work for you too.

seattlepitboss

The cooker is a fixed object sitting over the axle, the cooker measures 42" square. As I said once he establishes the spring hangers the center of the axle will be about 25.5" forward from the rear. This puts his cooker weight evenly distributed over the axle much like a DP clone cooker is set up. His trailer is 84" long, about half his cooker weight is forward. This also leaves room for storage and such that will easily make up the needed tongue weight. It is all about even distribution no doubt, but you also have to plan on what else will make up the fixed load.
Basic 101 trailer mounted cooker knowledge. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13 15 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m.'s measurements are pretty much spot on. Figure your fenders and lights into the equasion and place your axle from there. Your cooker should sit pretty much centered on the axle and that will set the mass of your weight right where it needs to be. Any type of wood storage or whatever on the front should balance you out nicely.

On a trailer that size, I would run the tongue at 32" to 36" from the front of the actual trailer. Should give you ample room where you don't have any issue backing up and could also set a tongue box for storage there or a propane bottle if you were running a burner setup.

And a side note, I've built a lot of trailers (527 to date) and repaired a lot for people who have bought not so good ones. In my time, I have never seen one "buck side to side violently" That is a exaggerated scare tactic coming from someone who really doesn't have a clue what the hell he's talking about.

JM2CW

EDIT
Let me clarify on my above remark that I have never seen a trailer buck side to side violently. I have never seen an intact trailer or properly loaded trailer buck side to side violently. I have seen one with only the safety chains holding it to the vehicle get pretty crazy and I have seen improperly loaded trailers move around quite a bit. On those deals, you can't fix stupid.

Last edited by TrailerBuilder on Sat Feb 14 15 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
reeceb73

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14 15 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I will follow your advice and post pictures as I get some work done on this.
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14 15 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. and TrailerBuilder Have Spoken...

If Anyone Here on These Forum Pages Cannot take credence in what these PROFESSIONAL RIG BUILDERS are Puttin' Down regarding Trailer/Towing/Fabricating ... Then Jus' Maybe 'Ya shouldn't be thinkin' 'bout building a ...Trailer! Laughing Wink

"So let It Be Written, So let It be Done." Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy Wink
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14 15 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:

If Anyone Here on These Forum Pages Cannot take credence in what these PROFESSIONAL RIG BUILDERS are Puttin' Down regarding Trailer/Towing/Fabricating ... Then Jus' Maybe 'Ya shouldn't be thinkin' 'bout building a ...Trailer! Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy Wink
I agree mostly with what has been said, but I have seen trailers built negatively loaded or loaded to one side weight wise handle really spooky. JMHO... One example is a mortar mixer. Short tonged= majority of weight. to one side,& can ride down the road like a snake on ice...
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14 15 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Tony wrote:

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy Wink
I agree mostly with what has been said, but I have seen trailers built negatively loaded or loaded to one side weight wise handle really spooky. JMHO... One example is a mortar mixer. Short tonged= majority of weight. to one side,& can ride down the road like a snake on ice...

That , Jess is the Undisputed Truth! Laughing

I travel the N.J. Turnpike all Year 'Round to Reach my Beach House in Delaware...

Some times My Wife and I can not believe what we witness(Usually Travelling South Bound) on That Road...Not gonna' elaborate, Brother...You pretty much have already Painted That Picture! Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: