FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

burner question for new smoke house

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAUDY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 2:35 am    Post subject: burner question for new smoke house Reply with quote

Plan building a new smoke house build this spring. It will be cinder block. The dimensions will be 4x4x8ft tall. My question is I have available a 2 burner propane burner unit. Each burner is rated at 35,000 btu each (70,000 total). I will want to hot smoke turkeys and fish. I was wanting to know if this would be adequate for a temperature of approx 225 to 250 degrees in this size of smoke house.
Thanks in advance.
Laudy[/u]
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring LAUDY, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
I am not up on using propane burners in smokers but this company may have your answers. They also have safety valves and such for the burners.
I hope this helps. Very Happy
http://pigcookersplus.com/main.sc

Hybrid Cooker
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07 15 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that your propane burners would get your smokehouse to 250F. Have you really thought about this? Two big propane burners running wide open? You are going to go through a lot of propane! It'll add a lot of cost to your cooks.

I am not like KAM. I don't mind using propane for a cooking fuel. Blacksmiths run forges all day long with propane burners. Hot glass artists run their ovens all day long with propane burners. I don't see a problem with a smoker running all day long on propane. My smoker runs on propane and/or wood. I put a lot of thought and also real-world testing into deciding how big and how many my burners should be. The difference is huge in gas consumption.

It isn't that hard and it won't take up that much space to add a firebox at the bottom of your cooker. You could always put your propane burners in there.

If you do decide to go with propane I'd consider the super-efficient burners that the blacksmith community has come up with. Have a look at this one for example:
http://www.chileforge.com/NewDiablomainPage.html

seattlepitboss
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07 15 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a handy little calculator for estimating the BTU amount for a specific temperature rise for a given cubic space;

http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html

I plugged in your numbers for the smoke house dimensions; 4 x 4 x 8 and specified a 250° temperature rise with poor insulation value. It said 30,240 BTU'S / hour would be necessary to get the temperature up. I hope that answers your question but keep in mind there is no compensation for a room full of cold meat. You may be on track with your two burner arrangement.

With all that being said I believe k.a.m. was pointing you to that pig cooker web site not only so they could help you in estimating your BTU usage but also for design guidance in a safety system. You don't want to put a propane burner in an enclosed space without proper air intake but most importantly proper safeties to monitor ignition. Look at this thread for what can happen when raw gas is dumped into a cooker; http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51291 He was lucky that is all that happened to him.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07 15 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss wrote:
I am not like KAM. I don't mind using propane for a cooking fuel.

Slow down there Cochise.
I do not ever remember saying I did not like propane as a heat source for cooking.
What I do have a problem with is folks that use it in a smoker with no safety equipment in place and run the risk of killing themselves or the folks around them.
I have an even bigger problem with folks that condone the use of said fuel source without mentioning the use of safety equipment.
Oh I also have a problem with people assuming I dislike something without reading my posts.
I never said do not use it, what I did say was.
k.a.m. wrote:
Welcome to the ring LAUDY, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
I am not up on using propane burners in smokers but this company may have your answers. They also have safety valves and such for the burners.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

This statement reads that I am not schooled on using propane in smokers but the link I provided is.

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07 15 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't EMPHASIZE NEARLY ENOUGH the need for SAFETY FIRST when ANY type of gas, especially PROPANE is used as a fuel in a cooker.

Smokin' Mike and K.A.M. said it all, so I won't elaborate.

Take a look at BBQMAN'S STICKY for gas assist burner,etc.
in the "Cooker" page-: Gas Assist For Large Log Burners W/Safety Features- to view how he covered the bases for safety factors...And Believe me, He is a SEASONED former machine builder who performed EXTENSIVE research on the subject BEFORE he even started to design his system.

Did I mention that BBQMAN himself designed and built ALL his Pig Cookers, grills and other smokers for his Catering business? Cool

Heed what You read here,LAUDY ...You couldn't have come to a MORE informative site for the answers to your Barbecue Smoker building questions! Wink

For What It's Worth...If I were You, I would consider insulating the cinder/concrete blocks internally as I lay them up...This would benefit in not only heat retention but also save you $$$ on Fuel.

Be Safe-Smoke Food- Eat Heavy! Laughing Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: