FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funky Meat Do I ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 15 10:49 pm    Post subject: Funky Meat Do I ? Reply with quote

I purchased some pork Butts last week , Kept them in my Engle cooler buried & packed in ice . When I removed them from the cooler last night to inject , I checked the temp on the fastest thermometer I own , it read 34 deg. when I opened them for the rub down after washing off I noticed a off odor . Not quite a bad smell but just a little off . Yes I did throw them away . Now that raised some question's . I tried to read the label Can't see any dates . " When in doubt throw em out ." I also picked up a couple of packs of St . Louie's along with some Dino bones . All checked out fine . Back to my question's If going to a comp how far in advance are most pork products purchased . How long from " PACKING dates are they good for or shelf life ? Which you would have to get off the case . I definitely did nothing wrong in storing just marking this one off for experience . I'm going to the store now to pick up a couple of more Butts .
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 15 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

empty, was it just the cryovac odor? I usually just rinse the butts or ribs in white vinegar it removes the foul odor.

--jeepdad
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 15 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We buy our ribs in bulk and freeze in their original packs, then thaw three racks starting on Tuesday.
We only buy them if they have at least five days left on the sell buy date.
If I were to buy ribs for a comp to keep iced down they would be purchased no earlier than Tuesday and have a sell buy date that surpassed my Saturday cook.
Chickens would be purchased Wednesday, with the same sell buy date as ribs.
Briskets would be purchased Saturday or Sunday with the same sell buy date as ribs would be.
In my opinion you did right by tossing the Butts.

Hybrid Cooker
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 15 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every thing else was good , I purchased them from R/D and there isn't a sell by date on the package .I looked at the St'louies to see just for reference also the beef bones. I could not really read the label on the butt's because of the ice but probably sure they are not marker either . I rinse before handling also , just a bad piece of butt I guess . Usually some are just better than others , not in this case
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01 15 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my local RD did recently start adding a sell by date, they have always had a Julian Date on them - http://www.quadax.com/support/Julian2015.pdf
day of year from 1 to 365 of when they hit the shelf. I know my local Costco holds all their meat at @28° for about 1 month, then add a sell by date of several days after it hits the shelf, of which one can still keep in fridge another couple days before freezing. Also, packer companies have started adding a carbon monoxide gas to help keep meat pink in chrio....it can add a smell.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 15 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cryovac odor can smell down right nasty sometimes...
I always rinse under cold water and it makes them smell
Downy fresh once patted dry. Very Happy

I really hope you made the right call and did not waste some good butt.....better safe than sorry I guess.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
empty
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 15 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I spoke to R/D I didn't think they were open today ,
I assured the Mgr. I wasn't there for any give aways . He let me know that they order 20,000 pounds a week and that , one could possibly hold meet up to 60 days . That never happens there . I was just being on the cautious side I do not ever want to get anyone sick . For 30 bucks I'd rather throw it away . He did take a sniff , said it was okay and the next time I was in he would replace in good faith . All is good bought a couple more and on the grill now !!
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 15 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it all worked out for you...pulled pork after all. Laughing
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02 15 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that cryovac fart smell can be rough. The devastator is veal though. MAN that's rough! Eats good though...
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08 15 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
That cryovac odor can smell down right nasty sometimes...
I always rinse under cold water and it makes them smell
Downy fresh once patted dry. Very Happy

I really hope you made the right call and did not waste some good butt.....better safe than sorry I guess.

I had some ribs that came out smelling funky even though the sell-by date was a few days out. Rinsed them down with water and patted them dry. My wife was upstairs and asked what the hell the smell was. Washing them didn't remove the stank smell, so they were garbage. Sent my wife to Safeway to pick up whatever they had since friends were coming over later that day...

I know what the cryovac stink is, but this was cryovac stink on steroids!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: