FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad tasting BBQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 1:47 am    Post subject: Bad tasting BBQ Reply with quote

My wife and I have been trying to make good BBQ for years and always get disappointed. It does not matter if it is cooked in oven or grill, we chop it up, put bbq sauce on it, put it in oven to heat bbq sauce. The next time we try to eat it, we heat it up in oven or on stove and it has a strange bad taste that I can't describe. It smells and taste bad. We have thrown away many dollars worth of BBQ. What is causing this bad taste? Thanks. Please help us.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roho, Welcome to the ring.

In order to help you we're going to need a bit more information.

What cut of meat are you using?

What temperature are you cooking it at?

Do you monitor the internal temperature of the meat before pulling it from the heat or do you cook it based on time?

Anything else you can add would be helpful.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemical taste? Lips go numb? Too much smoke wood and not enough oxygen for it to burn properly.
roho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Boston Butts. We try to cook enough to freeze some so we can have a BBQ sandwich from time to time. But after it gets cold and reheated it stinks. We just cook it until my wife said it's done. We have tried several methods of cooking, like pre boiling, completely in oven and on gas grill. It is not a chemical taste. Since we don't use a temp. we probably have cooked it to many different temp. The taste is similar to the dreaded microwave taste. We have the pretty much same taste warming up pork chops in the mic.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring roho, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile

roho wrote:
We have tried several methods of cooking, like pre boiling, completely in oven and on gas grill.

^^^^^^^^^
This in my opinion is your biggest problem with flavor , especially when reheating.
In my opinion you cannot infuse enough flavor into the Butt with these methods and you are left with bland pork.
For me bland pork reheated is nasty tasting.
You need to get some smoke into that meat.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roho, what kind of grill do you have?
roho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a gas, I think CharBroil.
roho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Brinkman smoker that I never use, but if I cook anymore butts, I will. That makes sense to me about the flavor. Thanks.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roho wrote:
I have a Brinkman smoker that I never use, but if I cook anymore butts, I will. That makes sense to me about the flavor. Thanks.

Ok, we're making progress but there's a bit more to it. You're going to want to cook that butt at low temperatures 225° - 250°ish to an internal temperature if 195° - 205°. This could take a good 11, 12 or maybe 13 hours. Get you a good temperature probe to insert into the meat for checking the temperature. Keep some smoke on it for the first few hours until it reaches 140° or so. After that the meat stops taking on as much smoke. After you pull the meat from the smoker you can wrap it in foil and a towel, put it in a cooler and let it rest for a spell. After an hour you should have something to that will make you some nice pulled pork. If you got any more questions then ask away. Lot's of knowledgeable folks here to steer you in the right direction.
roho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I use a rub?
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roho wrote:
Should I use a rub?

Yes. Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever had milk spoil in your refrigerator ?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
roho wrote:

Ok, we're making progress but there's a bit more to it. You're going to want to cook that butt at low temperatures 225° - 250°ish to an internal temperature if 195° - 205°. This could take a good 11, 12 or maybe 13 hours. Get you a good temperature probe to insert into the meat for checking the temperature. Keep some smoke on it for the first few hours until it reaches 140° or so. After that the meat stops taking on as much smoke. After you pull the meat from the smoker you can wrap it in foil and a towel, put it in a cooler and let it rest for a spell. After an hour you should have something to that will make you some nice pulled pork. If you got any more questions then ask away. Lot's of knowledgeable folks here to steer you in the right direction.

Mike has some good stuff here.
I will add that you can easily let the cooker hum along at 250° to 325° on Butts we do it all the time. After the cooker gets up to temp and the Butt is rubbed down and ready, place the Butt fat cap up on the grate opposite the firebox and let it cook.
If you have a upright smoker I still prefer fat cap up.

Hybrid Cooker
roho

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18 15 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18 15 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other thoughts for you.

Buy or build a smoker, I recommend UDS's as a cheap way to get a good product.

Get a rub recipe that you like, slather your butt with french's mustard, then cover completely with the rub, a nice even coat on all sides, (you wont ever notice the mustard flavor on the meat), smoke the meat fat cap up, (it helps to baste itself), for 5 hours at 225 - 250°, then pan it in a disposable pan to collect any juices, it will often stall between 160 - 165°, once through the stall, cook another 3 - 4 hours, until you are above 195° or until you can't resist it any longer.

Allow to cool to 150 - 160°, then pig out on wonderful meat, add buns, slaw, and some pickles and a splash of sauce if you want, and chow down!

Don't sauce all the meat at once if you are not planning on eating it all on the same day, only sauce the meat you intend to eat, leave the other meat unsauced and either vacpack it or ziploc it for going into the freezer.

When you want to reheat, put in some chicken broth, and warm the whole package in simmering water, or double pan it in a water bath, with the chicken broth, strain off the broth before you serve the pork.

I still work here!
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18 15 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was projecting, too much smoke wood was my mistake. It doesn't burn, just smolder creating nasty flavors. It took time to learn the right way. But I learned it here from the pro's.
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19 15 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is all bbq, why don't you pick up a pork loin (not tenderloin, loin loin), dry rub it and cook it on your gas grill with indirect heat. I'd add wood chips, but you don't need it.

cook @ 215-240, Pull at internal temp of 140-145 (latest), then cover with foil and let it rest a bit.

IF that stinks after you put it in the fridge, as someone implied, your fridge is broken.

If the meat shows cooked with thermos (like they suggested above with the butts)

This way you are using a small, cheap cut of meat and it only takes 1-2 hours to cook, depending on the size of the meat.

General rule of thumb - If you can't cook a pork loin successfully, it is time to take up crock potting. It is easy to do well, and doesn't take a ton of patience, and there is no sticking point. The worse you can do is over/under cook it. Never let it go above 145, it will still go 5 degrees higher while resting. I pull at 140 every time and it comes out wonderful.

I make pork loin into sandwich meat for my teenager, keeps me able to afford things like gas vs. buying prepackaged sandwich meat.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19 15 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Have you ever had milk spoil in your refrigerator ?
Just saying some frig's do not recover fast enough for quantities of food....
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19 15 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had one go off on me. I live alone,so it took time to suspect it. One night I came home to find the ice melting. Stopped eating food from it and I was right as rain. I now keep thermos in different areas, I keep an eye on the temps. Sometimes they just don't die, they get weak and cannot get the job done. Your food over 42* for more than 4 hours will make you sick. I've been there, you don't want to go there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: