FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutting Her Down and Moving On
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 15 4:03 am    Post subject: Shutting Her Down and Moving On Reply with quote

Good Night and Good Luck...4 Bones Barbecue is going away.

I have a OHP CTO with two years on it and a Full Size Winston CVAP....$4250 for the pair.

Located in Jacksonville, Florida.

We put out some mighty fine Cue with the set-up.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/4-bones-barbecue-jacksonville

Will be detailing them out.
CTO needs a set of gaskets. Full set is $100 from OHP.

www.dropbox.com/s/dvs15jkb2ugin1b/2015-01-09%2014.55.25.jpg?dl=0
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 15 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to inappropriately pry, and you are certainly welcome to respond to (or not) via PM, but I'm curious to learn what you think the single biggest reason you decided to close? Location? Quality of employees? Having started and closed a couple of businesses myself, I'm always trying to learn from others--even if it means learning what not to do.
Bubba's BBQ Shack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 15 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Went there for dinner a while back and enjoyed the food and the service. If you have more to sell try rciauctions.com they sell a lot and usually get decent prices for your stuff (better than the used restaurant equip. places will give you anyway)
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 15 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, it's definitely a tough biz.

Now about that CVAP. I am interested in that, but not the CTO.
Do you know the model number on that CVAP?
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 15 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear! I hope all is well otherwise. The rest of us will all move on some day too. Thanks for sharing and stay in touch.
nskitts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10 15 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to hear why you are closing if you don't care to share.

Also, if Harry passes on the CVAP I am interested in the package deal as I am an Ole Hickory user and a CVap user.

You can PM me for contact info if you like.
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16 15 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my 5th year in the biz and haven't managed to get ahead yet. It's a constant struggle just to pay the bills. I'm surprised many BBQ places last as long as they do.
I hate to sound like that but it's the truth. ...This and my place is ranked the #1 BBQ in Mid-Missouri, but STILL struggling to make ends meet.

A major issue for me is food cost vs. sales. I just can't seem to find a way to bring down my food cost. I don't have a very big menu and cross-utilize a lot of items to offer a limited variety of menu choice. That helps but you can only charge so much before the public walks away. I'm about as high as I can go with prices here and only have 3 employees. Don't even want to start in on payroll taxes, etc. Confused

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick of it all is to have an absolute buttload of working capital to start, and not many here had that option.

My best suggestion is to diversify your dining choices.

My original plan was to do BBQ, Fried Chicken & Pizza to nail the top three comfort food categories, We are 2/3rds of the way there by bringing pizza online a year ago.

My hopes are for the pizza sales to overtake BBQ and be able to get completely out of BBQ for the most part.

Its one of the toughest restaurant lines to be in from my experience, How much do you cook, you run low you're screwed, you cook too much you're screwed, meat prices have been very volatile, Etc Etc Etc.
Then lets get into cook times and holding.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
The trick of it all is to have an absolute buttload of working capital to start, and not many here had that option.

My best suggestion is to diversify your dining choices.

My original plan was to do BBQ, Fried Chicken & Pizza to nail the top three comfort food categories, We are 2/3rds of the way there by bringing pizza online a year ago.

My hopes are for the pizza sales to overtake BBQ and be able to get completely out of BBQ for the most part.

Its one of the toughest restaurant lines to be in from my experience, How much do you cook, you run low you're screwed, you cook too much you're screwed, meat prices have been very volatile, Etc Etc Etc.
Then lets get into cook times and holding.
Harry, you have been posting lately that you are in the market for another smoker, & more hot hold capacity???
MikeJack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the normal challenges led to the desicion to close but the main thing was/is is that I am just done.

I don't have to tell anyone here what a typical day is like. We ran two years to the day. Sales were growing and we were making a tiny amount of money but I got to where I could not see a future 2 or even 3 years out where the store would not consume my life. If you start to resent busy days and big catering jobs it is time to make a change my friend...

On a side note...Who knows anything about 4 Rivers Smokehouse out of Orlando? Looking at them as a possible landing spot.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJack wrote:
All the normal challenges led to the desicion to close but the main thing was/is is that I am just done.

I don't have to tell anyone here what a typical day is like. We ran two years to the day. Sales were growing and we were making a tiny amount of money but I got to where I could not see a future 2 or even 3 years out where the store would not consume my life. If you start to resent busy days and big catering jobs it is time to make a change my friend...

On a side note...Who knows anything about 4 Rivers Smokehouse out of Orlando? Looking at them as a possible landing spot.

Part of our family still live in Florida, my wife's aunt works for Disney and lives in Orlando and I remember her talking about them. It's a family business that "made it" correct?

From what I hear they are doing well.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17 15 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Harry, you have been posting lately that you are in the market for another smoker, & more hot hold capacity???

Yes, I have been. And for a few different reasons.

Mainly because we have another restaurant that we are licensing to use our name, logo, and serve our signature items on their menu.
And they've been talking about adding another location by summer.

Plus, in summertime I cannot meet our current demand with the equipment that I'm running. Having another pit here and being able to double or triple my hot holding would help make my life a little easier.
MikeJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21 15 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the CL ad

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/for/4855362214.html
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21 15 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check with Mike (aka BBQ Man)
MikeJack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piece Pricing for the ring (as they sit in Jacksonville)

CTO - $3500
Cvap - $1000

TSP 100, TP 742, Cash Drawer, Ipad 1 wi/fi - $400

That CTO is a bargain folks w/ cook and hold

joel@4bonesbbq.com
milford8820

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Sent you a pm.
Tks
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22 15 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeJack wrote:
Piece Pricing for the ring (as they sit in Jacksonville)

CTO - $3500
Cvap - $1000

TSP 100, TP 742, Cash Drawer, Ipad 1 wi/fi - $400

That CTO is a bargain folks w/ cook and hold

joel@4bonesbbq.com

I am interested in the CVAP, and the TSP100 printer if it is ethernet connected not USB, serial or parallel.
Does it say "futurePRNT" on the front of it?
the mills quit making 2-color thermal paper for those printers, but they are still nice affordable printers..
Bubba's BBQ Shack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25 15 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eaten there many times, good BBQ. They are opening another location up in Jacksonville I believe
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25 15 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 4 River's BBQ is as good as your going to find most anywhere in this country. They seem to add a location every year. Can they can pay you a living wage and give you a better experience than your own??? This is a ball busting industry no matter what from my experience! Good managers and staff are always valued, but good means reliable attendance, the ability to control costs, solve problems and do whatever it takes to get the job done! Often including the same things you started to dread at your place. I have found that running someone else's place is no different than owning your own place but you have no control over the whims of those above you. On a lesser level you can do your job and go home without a care, but can that pay the bills? Unfortunately, these days good paying options are limited. Good thing is, Orlando is busy year round with many other jobs if you don't like it. Cost of living is reasonable. My wife and I lived there before kids, nearly 30 years ago now and we have visited several times since.
MikeJack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30 15 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update....All the "stuff" is SOLD!

I sold the big stuff to a place called Wholly Barbecue in Gainesville, Fl. Really awesome story of what they are trying to do down there..ie using the store to teach at risk kids some skills that will allow them a better shot.

I have told David about you guys and how helpfull everyone here is....Look out for him if he shows up. Stand up guy.

Thanks for the info on 4 Rivers.
They have an awesome reputation no doubt. Many of our customers compared us (David) to them (Goliath) in terms of food and service.

They are what I would have wanted our little place to grow into one day but you got to have money and talented people. They seem to have a bit of both.

What blows me away about them is their marketing. It seems they have a real good handle on how to do it these days. Check out there website / social media...Some good ideas to be had..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: