FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you had to do it over again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosmic Q

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 15 4:29 am    Post subject: If you had to do it over again Reply with quote

Hello,

Considering the hours it demands and the profit margin have any of you seen anything that would have been easier to vend with the same kind of income potential? Or does your love of BBQ out weigh all the challenges.
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 15 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I'm new to vending business but not to cooking for parties there is a lot of other foods you could cook that would be not as time consuming as cooking BBQ.

I'm sure if MR TONY or BBQMAN chime in they would have a lot more input than me
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 15 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have vended for five years, I don't like seeing the mini donut guy or the deep fried junk food trailer getting to the event a 1/2 hour or so before the start of the event when me or the wife has been smoking all night long.

We are friends with the mini donut guys here and I joke with them that if it gets very busy they can whip up more donut batter, we can't do anything to make more food for a one day event.

We love doing slow smoked food, I don't think we would ever change what we are doing.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 15 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the middle of building an "anything food" trailer right now for the reason kurtsara stated, BUT, I cannot see giving up the BBQ rig and have zero intentions of doing so! We have spent too much time and energy building a client base [ 6 years ] get reqular calls from hundreds of miles away asking when were coming back to an area! I have always lived by "go big or go home" so, though the profit per sammich may not always be there, the overall profit of hundreds and hundreds of pounds of BBQ going out the window a day make up for the few cents per sammich loss!! -/+.
I have a good friend with a Philly truck who does get his sleep, but simply cannot put out the quantity per hour / festival we do! Some of the other food trucks we roll with look at me as sitting around, without a "line" at times - thats because we crank the sammiches out as quick as people walk up! Yes, I was up at 2am to be able to crank said sammiches out from 4-8 [ at that location] so I can rest a bit between pulling 2 or 3 butts etc. but our overall sales usually crush the competitions! YMMV, and were not ALWAYS top sales guys, but most often we are!
The new trailer will do fish fries [ a MUST in these parts on Fridays ] and specialty sammiches, including our regular stuff reheated to make such sammies as Cubans, Rubens, smoked sausages - but also looking at meatball subs to chicken confit, and all kinds of deep fried crap the "competition" puts out to get that niche of the carnival business!! We will be able to easily change menu based on equipment in new rig thats not in BBQ rig, from "cuisine" to crap...LOL....Some gig's will have both our rigs at, some we will travel to different parts of the state or midwest!!Best of both worlds??? I hope so!! I truly do not expect the new rig to make the kind of profit the BBQ rig does, but I may be wrong?!
Give up BBQ??, cant imagine it!! Then again, I have embraced BBQ as a lifestyle, NOT simply a business or a job!
"sleep is for the young and the dead, of which I am neither"...!!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cheese steak booth usually out sells our bbq trailers ,with less work and better profit margin. But cheese steak doesn't have the appeal for catering that bbq has and we are caterers first and foremost. If we were only going to vend the festival circuit, then no we wouldn't do bbq.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Prairie Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08 15 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 ways to look at this... Negative and positive. (Choosing BBQ to vend instead of other food / drink / snacks)
I'm talking with experience vending in some of the biggest festivals in Canada and 3 years of running a BBQ food truck.

Con: Barbecue is absolutely the lowest margin item out there! Meat is crazy expensive, and we have to give them quite a bit of it on the bun or they feel ripped off. It generally involves a lot of labor, and skilled labor at that. Quality must remain high with mains and sides, people often have strong opinions of what "Good" bbq is. You can't please everyone but you should be able to please most of them.

Pro: Compare serving BBQ sandwiches to other items (some already mentioned)... gourmet burgers, Philly cheesesteaks, virtually every food truck out there: We can bang out a lot of sandwiches very quickly! So for the high volume events, this makes up for the poor margins.
JR Enterprises 23-60 pit
Traeger 200, Lil Tex, Memphis Pro, Yoder YS640
WSMs, UDS
FEC-100 x2, Primo oval XL
Weber 22" kettle & smokey joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: