FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Culinary Question: Updated with Pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 8:34 pm    Post subject: Culinary Question: Updated with Pics Reply with quote

So on Christmas Eve my MIL asked me what "culinary adventure" are you trying while on Christmas break? She knows I am always trying some new fangled or classic recipe just because I'm curious. She is a great cook and has an adventurous bent as well.

So we decided over Christmas break to try something adventurous and prepare an entire meal.

She mentioned Baked Alaska, Creme Brulee or make our own pasta. Creme Brulee is not hard to make but it is hard to nail it and get it right. I was thinking of a smoked stuffed crown pork roast for the main.

But we need ideas. It doesn't have to be smoked. What are some "adventurous" dishes (appetizer, main, dessert) that would be fun to do? Thanks

--Dan

Last edited by jeepdad on Fri Jan 02 15 8:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I've never been brave enough to try but leg of lamb sounds adventurous to me. Good luck. I'm sure you'll come up with something unique.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Dan, every time I walk into the kitchen its a culinary adventure some good, some I am still trying to wipe from my mind Shocked Laughing. I like stuffed pork butt roasts but I cook mine in the DO, I have never done one on the smoker.
For appetizers, a friend of mine did something like these for an open dish at a competition they were amazing. He added a little hollandaise sauce to them.
http://www.southernboydishes.com/2013/02/28/crab-stuffed-shrimp/

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing what you come up with Dan Very Happy

You can NOT go wrong with Tony's salmon brother, just make sure you make yourself more than 1, when I did it, the meal was amazing, but later that night with crackers and cheese was out of this world. Give the Turtle Cake a whirl and see what you think. Judging by your last few posts, whatever you come up with will be spot on Im sure Very Happy
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
For appetizers, a friend of mine did something like these for an open dish at a competition they were amazing. He added a little hollandaise sauce to them.
http://www.southernboydishes.com/2013/02/28/crab-stuffed-shrimp/

I worked in a restaurant in Florida as a teen that made these crabbed stuffed shrimp. k.a.m. is absolutley right, they are fantastic!!!

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27 14 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halibut . had it a few time in 5 str restaurant ( yes I snuck in the back door ) its the prime rib of fish cook right its to die for . never had the nuts to pull the trigger and try to cook it myself .
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27 14 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE doing Jalapeno cilantro stuffed Tiger prawns - raw, shell on - easy to do, huge hit every time I or a customer can afford them Wink
Make a wet pesto of Jalapeno, cilantro, evoo and lime - Jalapeno heat to your liking.
Place shrimp and pesto into plastic bag [ or bucket if wallet allows!] no more than 45 min or so before cooking as lime juice will start cooking them!
As I take the shrimp out, I pack as much of the pesto into the [cleaned] mud vein area and put on hot grill. I grill more wedges of limes to squeeze on once done.
Grill until just pink, just a min. or two each side - I see the key as shell on for three reasons - adds flavor, keeps them from sticking to the grill, AND most of all, slows people down from eating them like popcorn!!! LOL

Look forward to your pics of whatever you come up with Bro!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27 14 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making candy? It's looks simple enough to do, but there's some technique involved. I made Divinity last week and it was actually harder than it looked. It turned out OK, but I learned a couple things along the way (use a stand mixer instead of a hand mixer, and they need to air dry for a bit). Fudge is another one that seems really easy (and is supposedly not), and I'm going to try that this weekend. When I was growing up, my mom's best friend (my other mother) used to make all kinds of cakes and candies during the holidays and us kids loved her for that! Laughing My sister even has a very successful side business doing it.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27 14 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an adventure:

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/30/359837277/a-traditional-strudel-recipe-pulled-from-the-past

my mom always makes this during the holidays. We are working on passing the skill on to me.

There is also this:

LINK!

Another of my mom's holiday treats.

Gnocchi is a good adventure. Make them and then sear them in hot oil and toss with mushrooms, greens, and pulled chicken or pork, some reduced stock and some butter.

You can do Riccota gnocchi/ gnudi also. Good with just some nice tomato sauce.

Or do some fish "en papillote" https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1SKPL_enUS447US593&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=en+papillote+recipe

For an app I might would try suppli/ arancini - fried stuffed rissoto balls.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28 14 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the responses there are some great ideas. My MIL sent me a text saying she bought a pasta maker. So it looks like our first adventure will be making our own pasta of some kind. I sent her all your responses for a future culinary adventure. Again, I really appreciate your ideas. Stand by for pics of whatever happens! We are suppose to pull the trigger this Monday, 29 December I think.

--Dan
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29 14 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ll share my best recipe

3OZ jack daniels / plus a little coke / 3 ice cubes

never had any complaints

repeat till all the worlds problems are solved
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29 14 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haaaa, that's funny right there! Well played my friend well played!

--Dan
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have sick folks this morning so the culinary adventure is postponed until later in the week. I do however HAVE Very Happy to eat Tony's Sicilian Olive Salad that I made Saturday and let it meld flavors until today. Will eat it for supper tonight!

Black Olives getting cut up.

Spanish olives under the knife

Red onion, anchovies, artichoke hearts, pepperoncini, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano and black pepper.

Tasting the mixture to see if I had the right amount of olive oil then vinegar this stuff is out of this world good. I can't wait to try it after sitting for a couple days!

But Tony forgive me father for I have sinned...I left one ingredient out Shocked ...celery. I hate the stuff, hate it! I don't mind using it in gumbo or a recipe where it cooks away to nothing. This recipe rocks without it!!!!

Thanks for the share brother. Looking forward to trying it with your salmon recipe too. Will roll some up in Prosciutto this evening and take pics.

--Dan
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola, Brother! Very Happy

Sorry to hear that folks are Ill at Your Ranch! Sad

I'll bet some of that Olive Salad Y'all concocted would put a Smile on those sick faces! Laughing Wink

Looks like 'Ya took the High Road and used "Man's Marvel"
The Food Processor. Laughing

Hey, No matter How 'Ya cut it-It's All Good! Cool

Can't wait to see your follow-up pics!

And Now, For Your Penance... Shocked Laughing

Later, Brother!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Culinary Question Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:
She mentioned Baked Alaska...

What are some "adventurous" dishes (appetizer, main, dessert) that would be fun to do? Thanks

I made Baked Alaska once many years ago, for our 13 y.o. Siberian.

It was definitely an adventure, I may have to give it another shot.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony I thought they were sick holy carp they lit in to that olive salad! Shocked

mbellot Good to hear from you!

So finally! Got all the goodies out. The olive salad, the parmesan cheese, the prosciutto...and I decided to throw in shards of jalapeno...just because I'm weird! Very Happy

Smoked chicken meal.

First try!

Second try or was it the ninth or tenth?

Oreo cookie dessert.

Hmmm, I think we liked it!

Tony this stuff really is amazing it is delicious! I really enjoyed it. It was good with the prosciutto but I loved eating spoonfuls of it! All the flavors, man oh man! I can't wait to try your salmon recipe with it! THANK YOU!

--Dan
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30 14 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Brother! Very Happy

Glad Y'all Enjoyed "The Taste of Sicily!" Wink

The Salmon is a Whole 'Nuther Issue,'Fer Sure! Laughing

Hey...Next time 'Ya make that Olive Salad...Try using whole,pit -in green olives and crack 'em open in the manner That I had described previously...

You'll NEVER go back to Pimento Stuffed Variation. Laughing

Hope All at Home Feel Better by the New Year! Wink

Stay Well, Brother!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Tony we have some sick neighbors so me and the misses smoked them a chicken, made some smashed taters and I gave them a small container of your olive salad. Saw the guy the next day he raved about the salad and wanted the recipe. I gave it to him he said he was going to make it often! Nicely done brother!

So we started with dough.

And a pasta maker.

We decided on fettuccine.

We made boatloads!

A crab and pimento cheese dip to munch on while making pasta.

My Bride making the white sauce.

The halibut and prosciutto browning for a couple mins before going in the oven for 10 mins. Ok, so Grandma (my MIL) was tasked with getting the halibut from the store. She called and said the halibut is $35 a pound!!!! Those two pieces right there were $45. Can you believe that! I never had halibut so had no idea.

Two pots of pasta, the halibut reduction and white sauce going strong.

Prosciutto resting.

Pasta in pesto

Pasta in white sauce.

Halibut and sauce and prosciutto done.

For the kids but they ate the pasta too.

Greenery of course and garlic bread.

Made a creme brulee...I used brown sugar on mine and then torched it up!

It was fantastic!

So, our first culinary adventure is in the books. It was a huge success. The fresh pasta was delicious I especially liked the pesto pasta. The creme brulee was a homerun! It was fun just having the whole family in on the fun. The kiddos loved turning the crank on the pasta machine. The halibut dish was very flavorful. I think I would use another more inexpensive white fish next time. I have copied and pasted all your ideas for the future. Thanks Ringers!

--jeepdad

Pan Roasted Halibut with Prosciutto, Lemon, White Wine, and Capers

Total Time: 35 min Prep: 15 min Cook: 20 min Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground salt and pepper
2 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
2 slices prosciutto, cut into strips
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus whole sprigs, for garnish

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the flour on a deep plate or in a shallow bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and the butter and get the skillet hot. Add the fillets and cook until browned on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. At the same time, add the prosciutto and cook, stirring, to brown. Then flip the fish, put the skillet in the oven, and roast until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Remove the fish to 2 serving plates. Dump the prosciutto out onto paper towels to drain. Put the skillet back over medium heat. Add another tablespoon olive oil, the white wine, lemon juice, capers, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the parsley and bring to a boil; boil until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the fish, top with the prosciutto, and serve immediately.

Creme Brulee

Total Time: 2 hr Prep: 15 min Inactive: 1 hr Cook: 45 min Yield: 5 to 6 servings

Ingredients

1 extra-large egg
4 extra-large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for each serving
3 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange liqueur

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the egg, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup of the sugar together on low speed until just combined. Meanwhile, scald the cream in a small saucepan until it's very hot to the touch but not boiled. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the cream to the eggs. Add the vanilla and orange liqueur and pour into 6 to 8-ounce ramekins until almost full.

Place the ramekins in a baking pan and carefully pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the custards are set when gently shaken. Remove the custards from the water bath, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until firm.

To serve, spread 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly on the top of each ramekin and heat with a kitchen blowtorch until the sugar carmelizes evenly. Allow to sit at room temperature for a minute until the caramelized sugar hardens.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you get whitefish down your way or walleye 2 good choices halibut is awsome but dam pricy .

thanks for the pics gets my culinary juices flowing
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02 15 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Dan. Everything looks amazing. I have got to give Tony's salad a go next time I do the salmon.

Hope everyone is on the mend under your roof brother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: