FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Is The Deal With Pork Belly???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 14 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Well even a backyard shmoe with $40.00 can be a member! Wink

True...But the Schmoe will need a business resale certificate #.

Wink Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 14 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe as large as the Marietta / Atlanta metro area is there isn't a *REAL* butcher shop (aka meat market) somewhere in the vicinity. That's usually the place to find about any cut of meat you desire.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
I can't believe as large as the Marietta / Atlanta metro area is there isn't a *REAL* butcher shop (aka meat market) somewhere in the vicinity. That's usually the place to find about any cut of meat you desire.

True there has got to be someplace that carries them. Problem is, if that place is a "specialty grocer" it will cost them 5.50/lb.

I found this out last weekend at a local specialty place. Went in to pick out a bourbon as a xmas gift (this place has a barrel program with a ton of the KY distilleries) and just decided to peek at their meat case. I about dropped when I saw some prices. $6/lb for brisket and 5.50 for belly. if you buy their cured and smoked bacon it was 9.99/lb. good gracious! Funny part is, I wrestled with myself on weather or not to buy a couple of the Dino Bone in Ribeyes they had for 16.99/lb. MAN O MAN they looked good!!!

Modified ECB
UDS
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I dealt with a "specialty butcher" around these parts, I ended up paying $17/lb for veal shanks to make osso bucco. That was nearly 10 years ago. I'd hate to see what those shanks (which are almost a throwaway cut) would cost now.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:

There are many, but the problem with most of them is they realize people will pay outrageous prices for their 'Special Cut'. I live close to a real butcher shop. It's a Mexican place and they break down whole piggies. They don't have raw bellies for sale because they make 'Chicharrone de Carne' with them. It's bellies sliced about 1/2" thick and deep fried in pork fat. Absolutely friggin heavenly. I can feel my cholesterol and blood pressure rise every time I eat some Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12 14 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... maybe it's ya'lls area but here in my little section of the universe we have several meat markets to choose from. A couple are on the other side of the tracks. One in particular is always packed. I'm usually the only white guy in there but that's my gettin' place for pork belly, real hams, and so on. Sometimes you got to stray off the main path to get to the deals.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 14 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the best options for price are to either find a wholesale meat supplier that provides for restaurants, they can usually be persuaded to sell a few pork bellies if you don't mind crawling through industrial spaces and dodging trucks to grab em out the back. Second option is to search out direct farms. I have one local farm that raises only heritage breed pigs like Berkshires and the prices are great. Downside to that option is you usually have to let them know in advance and come butcher day they will arrange the meat ... I had to wait 2 months the first time but the farmer was great and when ready I went and grabbed it straight from the farm at a steal, 2.49/lb.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 14 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

Wink Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

My "membership" was free..zip, zero, zilch...but I do have a resale #...also, any schmo with a pc of paper from any non-profit such as boy scouts, church, soccer club etc. can get same free membership at RD!! From there, they will give you as many cards as you like!! [ maybe thats where Soezzy gets the $40 figure from?? some schlomo selling cards out the back door of a non-profit??????]
Anywho.....I can buy decent cured bacon for less than I can but belly last time I checked! No, not premium name thick cut, but good enough for my customer bacon - without the hassle of haccp program in place and time/slicing etc. [ thats from my "licensed" standpoint ] My "I want a greatslab of bacon" standpoint still cant see paying double the price of a loin for belly has me making Canadian style and buckboard...Then again, after seeing Smokincoals slab o belly sammich for $10.00, I can see myself looking into it for my new truck!! Wink Cool
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 14 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Tony wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

Wink Laughing

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy

My "membership" was free..zip, zero, zilch...but I do have a resale #...also, any schmo with a pc of paper from any non-profit such as boy scouts, church, soccer club etc. can get same free membership at RD!! From there, they will give you as many cards as you like!! [ maybe thats where Soezzy gets the $40 figure from?? some schlomo selling cards out the back door of a non-profit??????]
Anywho.....I can buy decent cured bacon for less than I can but belly last time I checked! No, not premium name thick cut, but good enough for my customer bacon - without the hassle of haccp program in place and time/slicing etc. [ thats from my "licensed" standpoint ] My "I want a greatslab of bacon" standpoint still cant see paying double the price of a loin for belly has me making Canadian style and buckboard...Then again, after seeing Smokincoals slab o belly sammich for $10.00, I can see myself looking into it for my new truck!! Wink Cool

Yup- Mr. Tony is Absolutely correct. (Again! Laughing Wink )

My Membership was also free, But I had to provide my resale
cert and the nature of my business to register. I am listed as a "For Profit" Caterer (Yes...I do sell Smoked Salmon at Holiday Time Wink )

Works For Me! Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy (The Other One! Laughing )
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
From there, they will give you as many cards as you like!! [ maybe thats where Soezzy gets the $40 figure from?? some schlomo selling cards out the back door of a non-profit??????]

Nope SoEzzy got the $40.00 from the cost of renewing your KCBS membership, from which you can gain free access to RD! Wink

I still work here!
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
From there, they will give you as many cards as you like!! [ maybe thats where Soezzy gets the $40 figure from?? some schlomo selling cards out the back door of a non-profit??????]

Nope SoEzzy got the $40.00 from the cost of renewing your KCBS membership, from which you can gain free access to RD! Wink
Gotcha Brother...My bad... Crying or Very sad
I am allowed an occasional wrong every month or two, right??? Embarassed Embarassed Crying or Very sad Wink
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem... just wanted to clarify the reason for the amount, in case others missed the logic behind my post!

We haven't had a RD in the area until this year, have a load of friends using it now, but I'm not among them... as I haven't renewed my KCBS membership in 5 or 6 years! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the road recently staying at the Embassy Suites hotel in Hampton Roads, Virginia. The raunt at the hotel had an appetizer listed as "BLT Stack." It's describes as "Crispy Pork Belly, Fried Green Tomatoes with House Made Pimento Cheese and Smoked Bacon Marmalade on Greens." I mean what's not to like! It was fantastic. I found a couple pics on the web. Wish I had the recipe!

--jeepdad

seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26 14 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Restaurant Depot carries pork bellies. In the NW, Cash & Carry stores have it too, but you have to go into their -20 degree walk-in freezer to get it. RD's has skin on, CC's doesn't. Both about $2.60/lb.

In Washington State, it costs you $20 to buy a business license. Make up a catering company name, buy a business license, go to RD and get a card with your business license. At the end of the year file a form with the state that says you closed your business. Keep RD card forever. Total cost $20 for lifetime. Way way cheaper than Costco membership.

seattlepitboss
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07 15 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good meat counter can get you pork belly , I have had to order it, but have always been able to find it. And IMHO, it's all about the fat. Have fun playing, and when you dial it in,it's certainly worth the effort.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07 15 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
I don't speak Mandarin, but the "International" markets I spoke of are Chinese, for the most part. They don't sell pork belly in more than about 8 oz. packages and the language barrier seems to keep me from ordering it in larger quantities.

Mike (Bugs) lives closer to them than I do. He should be able to back me up on this. If he can figure out out how to get them to get full bellies, I'll gladly follow his lead.

Show them a picture, they'll figure it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: