FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you think most food vendors fail?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 14 8:33 am    Post subject: Why do you think most food vendors fail? Reply with quote

I was reading a book today about food concession business. It said that most fail after the first year and even more fail by the 3rd year. However it really doesn't give reasons for failing.

Why do you think most food vendors fail?
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 14 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the work that seems fun and exciting at first becomes drudgery and boring? As 6th generation in the food business, I wouldn't know it's all our family has done as far back as I can remember and the only thing I have ever done.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 14 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridge View BBQ wrote:
I'd say that the work that seems fun and exciting at first becomes drudgery and boring? As 6th generation in the food business, I wouldn't know it's all our family has done as far back as I can remember and the only thing I have ever done.

Thanks!!

By the way nice looking trailer!! Smile
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24 14 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ridgeview 100%! I cant even begin to count how many times I've told people " remember, nightmares are dreams too" ! Its A LOT of work!! I went from remodeling contractor of 20+ years to vending, so I know what it takes to keep a business afloat - but this BBQ thing is almost twice the hours!! For me, I have about 8 months to make a years salary.
I have several friends with food trucks, that have cook to order menu's - yes, they too put in a lot of hours, but far fewer than me or any guy with a stick burner etc. without needing to make good guestimates on quantity w/o major food loss $$ Some days it pi$$es me off to see them show up an hour before an event [ just enough time to heat up their deep fryers / flat tops etc ] when I've been at it since 2am....or didnt even leave the venue all night...
Just yesterday, the Mrs said to me, as I was wiped out after the first 12 hours " how you gonna run 2 trailers next season" Which for me, is only going to make my drive that much stronger, but for many, would be discouragement [ though a little more encouragement from her would be nice...we were both having rough days...lol ]
People see successful operations at a glance, with NO CLUE of what all goes into it, and jump on the band wagon.
Then you have the individuals with zero McGeiver skills...Something breaks and they have to shut down / leave etc. because they cant repair a pop-up tent with some electrical tape and a spatula [ been there too Wink ] or run out of change, or cut their prices soo low they make zero profit...had a line all day long, but only paid the meat bill.... [ saw a lot of that type thing in construction too - never worried about losing much work to them as I knew they wouldnt be around in a few months ]
My only "business plan" in 26[?] years of self employment has been - bust my a$$ day in and out, put out a above average product, prove the nay sayers wrong even if its just to spite them"....lol....The next guy gripes because nobody wants to buy his george foreman heated oscar mayer sandwich, of which he can make 5 an hour, for $12.00 while he drinks all the profit [ @$5.00 a can from the beer tent ] DURING the event...and has the attitude " they'll wait"....No they wont, there's a dozen places to choose from!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Smoldering Coals
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25 14 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony....Thanks for all the insight. I figured if I keep asking you questions, I was going to have to start paying you. Laughing

It only took 1 event for me to realize that this $hit is hard work. Good thing I don't mind the hard work and really enjoyed it. I can't keep doing my normal job forever so I figured I need a change.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25 14 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can blubber on for hours and hours this coming time of year..as my recent posts show.....lol...and often enjoy it [ too much if you ask my wife!!]
I am not "the" expert on anything, but have managed to not miss a mortgage, or any payment, in decades doing it "my way" Embarassed Shocked Very Happy
Feel free to keep askin - someone will chime in!!
I'll watch the mail for my commission check Confused Cool Razz
I didnt get where I am on my own, it was a lot of Ringers helping me out along the way!!!! I gladly pay it forward with advise - sometimes its even worth a darn too!
Feel free to call , facebbook or contact via my website too - if I got time, I'll talk your ear off!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: