FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids menu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loafy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 10:13 am    Post subject: Kids menu Reply with quote

Any suggestions for this? I'm cooking with an offset stick burner. Thinking maybe hot dogs and a small portion of my bbq meats for the day?
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about chicken legs and mac & cheez. Put plenty of white sugar in the rub, like 50/50, to give it a nice caramel coating or just salt and pepper. Like mini turkey legs.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found putting hot dogs on the menu leads to adults ordering them "just to hold them over until they get home"....but venue dependent, I will Crying or Very sad But heck, I didnt get up at o dark thirty to hold them over, I got up to FEED them, and make real money [ fact of being in business ] We lost our a$$es doing one where we were the only food vendor, owner of pumkin farm / corn maze insisted we do hot dogs, it was about the only thing we sold as he was charging $27.00 for haunted maze....Folks couldnt afford a real sammich after he drained their wallets....Sold A LOT of $2.00 hot dogs, but that dont pay the bills!!!
I have seen more $2.00 hotdog trucks / carts fail in this area, or change to real food menu just to stay in business. One local dog vendor charges $5.00 for a wally world, bar z dog. He got my business ONCE - I love supporting other vendors whenever possible, but $5 for a $0.20 bad dog aint gonna happen twice from my wallet - and I aint alone there - will be surprised if I see him again this spring!
Mac n cheese goes over fantastic old and young alike!
I keep our beans to the non-spicy, sweet side which kids like.
We do a Jumbo chicken leg drown in a sweet BBQ sauce all enjoy - I think I was getting $2.50 / ea. this past summer - again, kids and adults love them alike! Adults will order several once they try them [ or their kid's Wink ]
Roadside, we usually have a slider size sammie of any meat we are doing - I use dinner rolls and charge half of a normal sammie, more than enough for any "kid" and gives adults the chance to try all 3 meats on the menu - brisket, pork and chicken [ our normal offering, sometimes other meats too.] At big events, we stick to 1 bun size as its a real pain trying to keep several bun sizes in the trailer. 2 buns -one sammie and one oversized sausage bun for our oversized sausages. We will do a jumbo meat sammie on that bun too.
I have found, in vending situations, having a "kids meal only" has led to older insisting on the meal deal, then complaining about the portion not being big enough portions for their fat, 15 year old "kid"...so we just stopped, it was a kids meal for pete's sake!!!! I know I sound kinda cynical here, but its not a 'raunt situation - when we street vend it mainly "to go", not like the kid is sitting at a booth with a waitress visually verifying age of kid or something...SOME people WILL complain to friends about small portions, leaving out the fact that it was a kids portion...
One of our regular set-ups is right next to our school complex - I was giving a $1.00 discount for student meals - had parents ordering several discounted meals, insisting it was for kids even after stating the idea was that it was for a student who didnt have a lot of cash, some we even asked for student I.D. until that created a chitstorm amongst a few [ voter I.D. is illegal B.S. ] ....so I just stopped it.... When we KNOW its a student, we now just knock a buck off, or toss in a soda or cornbread, or something....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
loafy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22 14 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
I have found putting hot dogs on the menu leads to adults ordering them "just to hold them over until they get home"....but venue dependent, I will Crying or Very sad But heck, I didnt get up at o dark thirty to hold them over, I got up to FEED them, and make real money [ fact of being in business ] We lost our a$$es doing one where we were the only food vendor, owner of pumkin farm / corn maze insisted we do hot dogs, it was about the only thing we sold as he was charging $27.00 for haunted maze....Folks couldnt afford a real sammich after he drained their wallets....Sold A LOT of $2.00 hot dogs, but that dont pay the bills!!!
I have seen more $2.00 hotdog trucks / carts fail in this area, or change to real food menu just to stay in business. One local dog vendor charges $5.00 for a wally world, bar z dog. He got my business ONCE - I love supporting other vendors
whenever possible, but $5 for a $0.20 bad dog aint gonna happen twice from my wallet - and I aint alone there - will be surprised if I see him again this spring!
We do a Jumbo chicken leg drown in a sweet BBQ sauce all enjoy - I think I was getting $2.50 / ea. this past summer - again, kids and adults love them alike! Adults will order several once they try them [ or their kid's Wink ]
Roadside, we usually have a slider size sammie of any meat we are doing - I use dinner rolls and charge half of a normal sammie, more than enough for any "kid" and gives adults the chance to try all 3 meats on the menu - brisket, pork and chicken [ our normal offering, sometimes other meats too.] At big events, we stick to 1 bun size as its a real pain trying to keep several bun sizes in the trailer. 2 buns -one sammie and one oversized sausage bun for our oversized sausages. We will do a jumbo meat sammie on that bun too.
I have found, in vending situations, having a "kids meal only" has led to older insisting on the meal deal, then complaining about the portion not being big enough portions for their fat, 15 year old "kid"...so we just stopped, it was a kids meal for pete's sake!!!! I know I sound kinda cynical here, but its not a 'raunt situation - when we street vend it mainly "to go", not like the kid is sitting at a booth with a waitress visually verifying age of kid or something...SOME people WILL complain to friends about small portions, leaving out the fact that it was a kids portion...
One of our regular set-ups is right next to our school complex - I was giving a $1.00 discount for student meals - had parents ordering several discounted meals, insisting it was for kids even after stating the idea was that it was for a student who didnt have a lot of cash, some we even asked for student I.D. until that created a chitstorm amongst a few [ voter I.D. is illegal B.S. ] ....so I just stopped it.... When we KNOW its a student, we now just knock a buck off, or toss in a soda or cornbread, or something....

Thanks Tony. Your knowledge is priceless for myself being a new vendor. I will only be doing roadside this year was going to set an age limit on the kids menu like 7 and under or something but it will be primarily take out I'm not sure if I really need one?
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22 14 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loafy wrote:
Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
I have seen more $2.00 hotdog trucks / carts fail in this area, or change to real food menu just to stay in business. One local dog vendor charges $5.00 for a wally world, bar z dog. He got my business ONCE - I love supporting other vendors
whenever possible, but $5 for a $0.20 bad dog aint gonna happen twice from my wallet - and I aint alone there - will be surprised if I see him again this spring!

Thanks Tony. Your knowledge is priceless for myself being a new vendor. I will only be doing roadside this year was going to set an age limit on the kids menu like 7 and under or something but it will be primarily take out I'm not sure if I really need one?

We do the same as Tony, we WILL NOT sell hot dogs, we are a BBQ vending trailer, that is it, usually once the kids taste there parents food they come buy there own.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: