FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nice Weekend for Camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20 14 7:56 am    Post subject: Nice Weekend for Camping Reply with quote

Me and my family had our first camping weekend for the season and it was a beautiful weekend indeed. We were at Westmoreland State Park in Virginia. Got a little windy at times but was very manageable. Some neighbors came as well they rented a campground cabin.

First evening was low key with setting up and all. We had hotdogs, one ribeye, beans in the big pot, hotdog chili in the little one and taters in the coals.

Saturday morning breakfast over the coals.

A family tradition, Mountainman Breakfast.

Toot whittlin why I cook two pounds of bacon. Two pounds! It is for an appetizer for supper, BLTs for lunch and Sunday morning breakfast.

Home sweet home!

Bought two of these for camping.

One for trash and one for dirty clothes. Works great and love the easy storage when done.

This was the start on one of the hikes we took.

On the hike.

I can see the river from the trail.

The Potomac river.

Lunch, for me, was a BLT. Food just taste better outdoors!

Anyone wanna guess? Wrong! After cooking two pounds of bacon there was a frying pan full of grease. So, my buddy, rolled some paper towels, and put them in the frying pan. It soaked up all the grease. He then set them aside and later in the evening we started the fire with the bacon candles. Worked well.

Layering the lasagna.

This is a deep DO too!

Lasagna in the top DO, apple crisp in the closest DO. And a couple garlic breads on the grate. We had salad too and ice cream with the apple crisp.

Sunday morning breakfast. My omelet was three eggs, bacon, red pepper, onions, and Tabasco. Cooked up well. Fun way to do breakfast. Some did it over the fire some on the Coleman.

The fixins!

Toot watching our friend cooking breakfast.

Toaster.

And camping would not be complete without my Dad's trusty ole percolator! Love coffee from this thing. I have a good friend that takes his Grandads "Old Perk" with him to barbecue comps. My earliest camping memories are waking in the morning to my Dad making coffee in that pot. Great way to wake up!

It was a great weekend spent outdoors and with good friends. Nothing like it. Hope your weekend was a good one.

--jeepdad
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 14 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great family time . one thing that caught my eye was hotdog been jonesing for a grilled hot dog guess I gotta fire up the weber
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 14 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks great!!!!!! I treat myself every weekend to percolated coffee although its on the stove top. I also have to agree everything tastes better when you are outdoors away from it all. Wink
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21 14 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T00lman I know what you mean I get a hankering for a hotdog at times too.

PaleAle Nice! Yep, it sure does! All the best.

--jeepdad
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16 14 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice post Dan. You just cant beat camping and DO cooking. Ill need to give the lasagna a whirl. A couple years or so ago, I did the mountain man for my family on a trip and now it has become a "must have" breakfast every time. Very Happy

Hope you and yours are all well brother.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lasagna was good. I think the recipe came out of one of the Lodge cookbooks. I can run it to ground if you want bro. Love the mountainman! Hope all is well with your tribe bro.

--Dan
Brinnie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06 14 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'Day Dan !
Its been a while - good to see you are still doing things to perfection Mate Very Happy

Everything looks spectactular Confused

Cheers
Smoking
Down Under
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22 14 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinnie, brother how the heck are you?! Man, it is great to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and work is going well but not too busy! Drop me a PM sometime and let me know what you been up to. Take good care brother. All the best.

--Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: