FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid - DONE!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19 14 11:21 pm    Post subject: Bkndsdl's Insulated Hybrid - DONE!! Reply with quote

After scouring this and other smoking sites, building a few smokers for myself (check my sig line), I've decided it's time to build a smoker that'll do all that I want. I am going to merge several builds into one. I want an insulated fb, tuneable cc, and a rf cabinet. My plan is to merge these three builds:

The Iron Maiden

Insulated Cabinet RF

120 Insulated Firebox

The main thing I want is to be able to use this one smoker for a multitude of things. I want to be able to use just the cabinet if I want as a rf stand-alone smoker, or use the cc as the cooker and the cabinet as a warmer, or use the cc as a grill. I am planning on two racks in the cc, and at least 5 racks in the cabinet. I will insulate the fb and rf cabinet, and will make the smoker so that it could be insulated as well. I plan on using a bi-fold door that I've got a design for in my head. I will use an 80 gallon compressor tank as the cc and will build the fb and cabinet from square tubing and sheetmetal. This will be a loooong build, but one that I hope will be able to meet all my needs. This build will also serve as a test platform for a larger smoker made from a 150 gallon propane tank.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build

Last edited by Bkndsdl on Sat Apr 30 16 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm starting with.

The side (now bottom) fitting will serve as a drain.

It's hard to see, but the tank tag says the shell is .105" thick, just shy of 1/8". Not as thick as I would like, but I gotta work with what I got.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of calcs........I am an AutoCAD operator by trade, but unfortunately I do not require AutoCAD at my present job. So I have to go back to the drawing board......literally.

Here's the initial concept (VERY rough draft).

Here's some detail on the rf cabinet. It has two smoke channels on each side. The smoke and heat will come from the fb through the channels and into the chamber, then down to an exhaust opening in the back of the cabinet, near the bottom.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a top down view of the fb and cabinet divider. It's a 1/4" plate with two slots cut in each side; this is where the heat/smoke from the fire come into the cabinet. When in cabinet mode these will be open; in cc mode, the holes will be covered up. The hole in the center is for a water pan; it will be covered up in cc mode as well.

Here's my bill of material. I am figuring two sheets of 1/8" sheet, 5'x10', and at least two sticks of 1" x1" x20' tube. This is for the cabinet only.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting build. I just spent the time for two cups of joe & a poptart looking over your build on smoked meat forum. Very well planned & executed...
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20 14 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, looks like an interesting build. Ready to see it working. Very Happy And, once again, I will offer up Google's free "Sketchup" Not nearly as good as auto-cad but it is free. Some do not like the learning curve, some are just plain old school and prefer the kitchen napkin. I like it in that I don't have multiple rev level napkins for any changes, I can get my direct 1:1 mat'l cuts from it including my flat plate layout to maximize my mat'l usage, and the ability to see it in 3D. It surely helped with the "Big Kahuna build. May be worth a try considering your cad background. Good luck with the build!

Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Sounds like an interesting build. I just spent the time for two cups of joe & a poptart looking over your build on smoked meat forum. Very well planned & executed...

Thanks Jess! TWO cups and a pop tart?? I am honored....

The DBS works well, but because the transfer of heat happens only in the tubes it is a bit inefficient. A good bit of the heat is wasted at the top of the lower drum. I could probably add a third tube, but I'd rather spend the time on a new one.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21 14 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Yup, looks like an interesting build. Ready to see it working. Very Happy And, once again, I will offer up Google's free "Sketchup" Not nearly as good as auto-cad but it is free. Some do not like the learning curve, some are just plain old school and prefer the kitchen napkin. I like it in that I don't have multiple rev level napkins for any changes, I can get my direct 1:1 mat'l cuts from it including my flat plate layout to maximize my mat'l usage, and the ability to see it in 3D. It surely helped with the "Big Kahuna build. May be worth a try considering your cad background. Good luck with the build!

Thanks Wreckless! I've used lots of your builds as information as well, especially your rf cabinet builds.

I checked out sketchup, may just have to try it looking at your pic........I don't want to waste any material.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
jereostr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22 14 9:58 pm    Post subject: Similar cooker Reply with quote

This is very similar to my cooker. I had it built a few years back. It's a hybrid "tandem" cooker. It has a horizontal RF run in tandem (used same heat source) w a vertical RF insulated cabinet. The tube is 4ft, vert cab is 3ft, and FB 2x2ft. Vert RF has water pan, and damper to cut off flow to tube. Both tube and vert have separate exhausts for heat control. It's fun to use but takes some tlc. I built it mostly for competition so I could cook brisket high and fast.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05 15 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Similar cooker Reply with quote

jereostr wrote:
This is very similar to my cooker. I had it built a few years back. It's a hybrid "tandem" cooker. It has a horizontal RF run in tandem (used same heat source) w a vertical RF insulated cabinet. The tube is 4ft, vert cab is 3ft, and FB 2x2ft. Vert RF has water pan, and damper to cut off flow to tube. Both tube and vert have separate exhausts for heat control. It's fun to use but takes some tlc. I built it mostly for competition so I could cook brisket high and fast.

Awesome, sounds exactly like what I'm wanting to build. Got any pics?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13 15 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setchup works pretty good, Wreckless. Here's the initial layout. Still have to play with layers and such but it seems pretty straightforward. The box inside is my recommended firebox size.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, sketchup rocks! It's pretty easy to use; I was pretty surprised at the versatility of this free software.

The pink box in the bottom is what my recommended firebox size is. As you can see I have plenty of area. The v shaped object in the bottom is what I plan on for my coal grate. It will be able to be slid out of the fb on 1" sq tube rails. I am going to build the intake out of the bottom, it will protrude from the bottom and the sides of the protrusion will have the intake slides. The very bottom of the protrusion will be removeable for ash dumping.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other views.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image shows just how awesome this software is; plate nesting. I can draw a 5x10 sheet of plate, then lay all the parts and pieces on it so as to utilize as much of the plate as possible.....saves a ton of time and money.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkndsdl wrote:
Wreckless, sketchup rocks! It's pretty easy to use; I was pretty surprised at the versatility of this free software.

The pink box in the bottom is what my recommended firebox size is. As you can see I have plenty of area. The v shaped object in the bottom is what I plan on for my coal grate. It will be able to be slid out of the fb on 1" sq tube rails. I am going to build the intake out of the bottom, it will protrude from the bottom and the sides of the protrusion will have the intake slides. The very bottom of the protrusion will be removeable for ash dumping.

To paraphrase an old quote here on the Ring " Sometimes it is ok to listen to Wreckless, most times perhaps not" LOL Glad it is working for you, hope the smoker does too. Very Happy
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24 15 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
To paraphrase an old quote here on the Ring " Sometimes it is ok to listen to Wreckless, most times perhaps not" LOL Glad it is working for you, hope the smoker does too. Very Happy

Lol. I hear ya. For a solid week I kept trying it out, saying "I'll just lay this part out", and kept using it, and using it, and the whole time saying 'Wish I had ACAD on this machine'........lol. Glad I kept at it!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29 15 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my intake design. the bottom of the fb will be open in this area. The two sides of the lower protrusion will have a slide for the intake. the bottom of this protrusion will be removeable, facilitating ash removal.

The 45 degree plates inside the fb are my attempt at a stick warming area. I may square these off. I am planning on making them from 1/4" plate. The idea is to place a few sticks in these areas, and when it's time to add to the fire I don't have to open anything but the fb door, which I'll have to open anyway to add the sticks.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 15 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some material, finally! Local steel supplier had shear and plasma cutting capability, so I had them cut up the first plate. Very pleased with price and quality.

Set up a simple stop to cut the tubing. My HF cutter cuts great. I had to replace the blade that came with it, it was junk. If you take it slow and let it cool between cuts, it does just fine. Working out of a 10'x12' shop, so I have to take stuff outside to cut it.

I didn't get much done, but I got started. That sometimes is the hardest step.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16 15 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of what you may be experiencing with the blade may be due to " Glazing" Too much, too fast, will glaze the cutting edge. Any cut after that will be like trying to cut a tough piece of meat with a butter knife. The greater the flat area you are cutting, the faster it will glaze I.E. a flat bar laid on it's side rather than on it's edge to make a cut. Cutting the longer flat edge besides glazing your wheel, it is also somewhat annealing / hardening the steel you are cutting. If the piece you are cutting is starting to turn bright red, bordering on molten, and then letting it cool for a second or 2, the steel is getting hardened each time. There are several ways to clear the glaze on a wheel, some are posted here on the Ring. My typical method is to lay a piece of scrap (left over) on edge and somewhat aggressively cut into it with quick short bursts / cuts. Lastly, 14"cutoff wheels offered at the chain DIY stores are typically 1/8" thk. I have found, purchase, and use a 3/32" from my LWS. The thicker the wheel, the closer it is to grinding rather than cutting and the more prone it is to glazing. Hope the info helps, if you already knew this, hopefully it may help someone viewing your build, good luck, ready to see it smoking.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17 15 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Some of what you may be experiencing with the blade may be due to " Glazing"

The blade was a HF blade, I cut a few times with it and it was just taking forever; it seemed to be wearing premature as well. I did a lot of research prior to buying the cutter and got a suggested Dewalt replacement blade. I am not sure what the thickness is, but I'll be sure and look for a thinner one.

I'm letting the blade do the work, not forcing it into submission. I don't wanna burn the motor up. I let it cool off between cuts by taking what I just cut, putting it in the vise and prepping the ends.

Thanks Wreckless!

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: