FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baffle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracy Adams

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 8:17 pm    Post subject: Baffle Reply with quote

Does it matter if the baffle is in the top of the stack or 4 or 5 ins above the smoke chamber? More information the stack is 35 ins high.

Thanks!

Tracy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it matters Tracy because I do not use my exhaust for adjusting my temps, my baffle/rain cap is open the entire cook.
The reason it matters is an internal baffle does not seal well and will allow leaves and rain in my exhaust when not in use.
If you use your baffle for temp adjustments then it would not matter where it was located in my opinion.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Tracy Adams

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will put a rain cap on top of the stacks. This will be for temperature control only.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15 14 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffles lower down the stack can also cause longer term problems, if they are causing a stall point in the chimney.

I have a friend had a lower baffle, and over the course of 7 or 8 years that stall point built up enough creosote to make the cooker, cook strangely!

It was nearly two full days of hard work, to clean everything out and get the pit back to the way it was design to function!

If I wanted to add a baffle on an exhaust, I would do a twisting plate over the top, so I could see where it was at any time!

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy Adams wrote:
I will put a rain cap on top of the stacks. This will be for temperature control only.

Tracy, I looked back at your cooker and wondering why you would want to try and use the exhausts to control the temps. Typically controlling temps with the exhaust is reserved for cookers with over sized exhausts, your offsets exhausts do not appear to be over sized unless you have changed them.

Hybrid Cooker
Tracy Adams

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't changed them. You think, I should test then cooker to see how high the temperature gets before adding a baffle. What is a acceptable temperature to your opinion, I can control the temperature some by opening the firebox door.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy Adams wrote:
No, I haven't changed them. You think, I should test then cooker to see how high the temperature gets before adding a baffle. What is a acceptable temperature to your opinion, I can control the temperature some by opening the firebox door.

Do you not have intakes for fresh air on the fireboxes? If so then regulate your temps with those.
Why would you have to use the firebox doors to regulate your temps?

Hybrid Cooker
Tracy Adams

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have open bottom fireboxes.

I just thought of this, I'm helping a program cook turkeys next week for the needy. The way they cook their turkeys is over direct heat or indirect heat. I have removable charcoal trays in the cooking chamber so I can grill as well as smoke with the cooker. Therefore; I'm wondering if I can keep the temperature at 350 as needed to cook the turkeys without a baffle?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16 14 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy Adams wrote:
I have open bottom fireboxes.

I just thought of this, I'm helping a program cook turkeys next week for the needy. The way they cook their turkeys is over direct heat or indirect heat. I have removable charcoal trays in the cooking chamber so I can grill as well as smoke with the cooker. Therefore; I'm wondering if I can keep the temperature at 350 as needed to cook the turkeys without a baffle?

It is nice to know at first what we are discussing a question for, it cuts down on confusion and gets to the heart of the problem faster.
To answer your question " I'm wondering if I can keep the temperature at 350 as needed to cook the turkeys without a baffle?"
I have no idea, it is possible. Have you fired up the cooker and tried this?
Better yet have you fired up the cooker and tried this loaded down with meat?
Experimenting with folks holiday meals is never a good plan of attack, it sometimes does not end well.
If you know the cooker can handle the task using your cooker as a smoker that is how I would proceed.

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 14 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your intake like, or are you just building a fire in the bottom of your cooking chamber, putting some wood on top and going for it, without being able to control your intake?

From past experience with other peoples cookers where they had free flow O2 into the fire area, you run up against 2 common problems.

1) the fuel burns through with a roaring fire, because the cooking chamber has more exhaust holes than a sieve and with unrestricted intake and exhaust you get a conflagration.

2) when the fuel burns through, you have to remove the grates to refuel, move the meat, start extra fuel outside the pit to keep the temperature up.

Generally I've found poor results from using a grill as a smoker, or a smoker as a grill, if it wasn't at least thought of in the design process, and built in such a way as to make it possible from the word go! (Weber kettle grill is a good example of this working, because it went into the design, there are plenty of examples on this site, where people don't always get it right).

I still work here!
Blazer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 14 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy , myself 99 % of the time my dampers which are on top of my stack's are wide open. I keep them closed when it's down for rain and for when are little featherd frends land on top of the stack and want to send a little white something down into my cooker. Very Happy control it from the intake side in my opinion. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Tech-Talk All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: