FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wet cure fresh ham heeeelp!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan B

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13 14 7:17 am    Post subject: Wet cure fresh ham heeeelp! Reply with quote

Hey folks, newbie here. I need a solid recipe for wet curing a 17-20lb fresh ham.i have done some research and find it a little contradictory. I've read where you should inject part of your wet cure to make sure deep parts get cured, and then others have just submerged in wet cure for 1 day for every two lbs. of meat, so can anyone give me solid advise on what and how to do this. Please help!!!!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13 14 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I side with injecting/pumping the cure.
If I remember correctly, you want to see a 10% weight gain with your brine pumped in.
Then also submerge into the remainder of your brine.

I do a boatload of cured meats, But I have not tangled with a whole, bone-in ham. There is way too much that can go wrong with them IMO

You may also want to look into your state university ag extension for meat curing. I believe Virginia has a webpage up about home curing hams that is very informative.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 14 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

You may also want to look into your state university ag extension for meat curing. I believe Virginia has a webpage up about home curing hams that is very informative.

Well that's a handy bit of information Harry! Thanks!!

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14 14 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/458/458-223/458-223.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: