FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dickey's - Sheboygan Wi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08 13 9:15 pm    Post subject: dickey's - Sheboygan Wi Reply with quote

Took the Mrs there to see what we have for "competition" [ we vend ] My review may be a little biased based on my biz, and yes - I know its a commercial joint and maybe not worth the kilobytes to write....BUT:
Store was near empty when we arrived - kid at slicing station was prepping a 7# to go of pork - looked good, moist, bark...thought we were going to be pleased....then we started ordering [ after waiting a few min waiting for him to close tray and tell manager why it took so long - he was apologetic] another kid asked if we had any questions - I asked if I could get ribs on the combo, he said yes but I would only get 2 or 3...I said that was fine...
He then reached into holding cabinet to start opening shrink wrapped [ microwaved?] leftovers....first one he grabbed I thought was a pre-portioned wrap and was going to put it on my platter...he tried slicing it and I got about 1/4th of it!
he tried slicing said scrap of brisket he found in the back corner of cabinet....it crumbled.
He told my wife they were currently out of ham, until he opened the next ball of shrink wrap - to his amazement it was ham, not chicken.....
I walked away at this point to get my tray at register.....
We found a table where the sun coming in the windows was cauterizing my eyeballs [ 4pm in fall ] - every seat had this view from one side - zero curtains or shade of any kind on the 2 story magnifying windows.....
She quietly tried everything on both our platters -
Brisket - zero flavor...NONE-ZIP-NADA-NOTHING! She asked if it was possible to cook the flavor out of brisket, or if it was possibly another unknown cut of beef??
Pulled Pork - dry, zero smoke flavor, but could tell it was pork.
Rib [ 1 bone as part of combo...1 !!] fell apart when kid tried slicing, he managed to arrange it near the bone - it did have smoke flavor but also was dry and tasted of sauce only.
sausage - was boiled [?]
ham - cooked in oven [?]
chicken - zero smoke or chicken flavor, dry
mac n cheese - canned???? Soggy, bloated noodles in kraft reconstipated powder sauce [?]
okra -frozen, deep fried, not a sign of salt
onions rings - frozen, fried. ok, again, no salt
bacon beans - took her a couple min to find exactly 1 crumb of bacon amongst the canned squishy beans that were soaking in .... paint thinner [?]
bun - almost crisp from sitting in warmer, dry - even the butter like substance he applied via the roller disappeared immediately into the dusty surface.
warm sauce applied to everything - open pit ????
Everything was drown in the sauce which was edible, but you better like that kind of sauce....
I ate everything, not wanting to throw the $30.00 completely away! Waited til this morning to feel how it "processes"....not so good.......
We put more meat on a $6 sammie than the 3 meats we each received....the kid spent more time futzing with the scale making sure he didnt go a single gram over on any portion!!
Listening to the now 1/4 full crowd - same kind of responses from the men, " its ok" talk from most of the women who obviously were pleased to have not having to cook dinner.... [not trying to sound sexist, its an old school kind of small city ]

On the up-side [ ? ] neither of us got sick and She did say I now have permission to start looking for brick n mortar to save these locals from this!!! Wink [ something she has been dead against for years now!!! ]
Said "dont you dare keep that souvenir cup! I need to forget this place!"
Some bias here, sure, but not much - worth $30.00 ???? - if so, I need to triple my prices!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08 13 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Dickey's referred to as a "black mold spreading from Texas.".

I really doubt there's much bias in your review.
14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09 13 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing I had at there when we tried it once was the ice cream

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18 13 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother says they give you the ice cream for free to get the taste out of your mouth.
bucket
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26 13 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate at the Dickey's in Beckley last month and came away with the same opinion as Tony. For one, I don't care for sauce on my Q, so it was a strike from the get-go. But, I can't say I hated the sauce, just didn't want it on my ribs.

The worst thing I did for my BB-Q enjoyment was stating to make my own...I haven't found anything I like since.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22 14 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha...They recently got a hold of my wood guy looking for hickory, they went thru ALMOST a full cord since they opened, 6 MONTHS ago!!....LOL....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
bluedogok
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate there once when I lived in Dallas in 1991.
Bob Campbell

PostPosted: Sat May 24 14 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
Best thing I had at there when we tried it once was the ice cream

The ice cream machine was broken when my wife and I went there over a year ago.

When we first walked in, the place smelled great! Nice smoke smell. Funny how none of it made it to the meat.

I have told many people that the best thing they have is the iced tea and it wasn't the best I've tasted.

The second site just opened here in Colorado Springs, CO. I'm amazed how places with crappy food can stay open and this is not limited to BBQ.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30 14 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone have the courage to try the sweet tea?
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30 14 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they are an individually owned franchise.
Ours here in Covington and Slidell are owned by the same person. I go there often for Brisket. You can find the husband and wife team in either location most of the time. I have been going there about every 2 weeks for the since they opened.
I think its like any other restaurant, the owners set the expectation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: