FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 1st attempt at Smoked Salmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18 14 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ, thanks for taking a look. There is quite a bit of work in this brine and the process, but dude it is so worth the time spent. Word to the wise...if your thinking 2 fillets will be enough for you...fix 3 Very Happy

Thanks Paul Very Happy You know well brother how the phone lines work around here Laughing

CB, thanks brother Very Happy I look forward to your reviews of the salmon.

nksdad2007 Thanks! I had no clue where to begin either, started with a text and you see the outcome. Pretty simple process really, but there is some work involved.

Thanks Kevin Tony got me fixed up, I appreciate you getting the ball rolling my friend Very Happy

Mike, Thanks! I used my usual red oak for a good coal bed and then hickory for the smoke. Good chatting with you on the phone today bro Very Happy

Thanks Robert Very Happy Appreciate the kind words.

Thanks Smokin Mike Well worth the effort for sure.

Alien, my youngest loves the stuff too, maybe Ill give that a go next time I fire the cooker up.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23 14 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man oh man does that look good or what! You nailed it brother. I gots to try Tony's recipe and Christmas just may be the ticket. Thanks for posting Troy a jam up job as always brother.

--Dan
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24 14 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely does look good!!! I do a brown sugar and salt dry brine for Salmon and Steelhead. Here's the ingredients if you would like to try it sometime:

2 to 1 mix of Kosher Salt to Brown Sugar (I like Dark Brown Sugar). Sprinkle in some Allspice, ground black pepper, & onion salt to taste. Mix well to break up any clumps.

I then cut the fillets across the grain down to the skin and pack the mix into the cuts.

Let sit in the fridge until the mix draws out the juices (about 3-6 hours) and then smoke at 225° F - 250° F until desired firmness is reached. I like mine a bit dryer so that it flakes pretty well.

Match up with cream cheese and a bagel and you have an awesome snack.

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27 14 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Dan Very Happy You for sure have to give this one a go, it is killer good. Ive actually been asked to do this again for the same people for a Christmas party they are having. I couldn't say no, I plan to do 2 or 3 fillets for myself then as well.

RollinontheRvr, Thanks and Thanks for adding your dry brine, it looks really good, and simple to. I will have to give it a try as well. I love salmon Very Happy
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28 14 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. It is very tasty, I hope you enjoy it if you get to try it out sometime.

Dave

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: