FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Birthday BBQ (Nov 1st) (Done, pics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 12:41 am    Post subject: Birthday BBQ (Nov 1st) (Done, pics) Reply with quote

My daughter is turning 2.

In the Philippines when you have a bday, it's your job to supply all the food for all your friends and enemies to come to your house and eat. Filipinas make a huge deal out of birthday parties. Last year we decorated the party room at Ryan's with Hello kitty stuff and had a $400 party.
This year we are renting a 75 seat hall and decorating in the frozen theme. I assume there will be 40+ ppl there.
I get home from steel haulin Fri night to a house full of the wife's relatives (I should mention that the house is a construction zone with scaffolding in the livingroom) and I have to have the Q packed in the van by 1130 the next morning.
Four Filipina's will be pumping Filipino food out of the kitchen. I will set up a camping stove to give them more cooking options.

I will be outside cooking chili, hot wings and legs n thighs. because of the time crunch, I will take some Bush's best grillin beans and spice them up a little.

My wife wants me to make potato salad from scratch, for the first time ever, for a crowd. Don't think I'm gonna leap off that cliff.

I will start two UDSs before sun up if I can get the 2nd one built this weekend (that build will be in the cooker section). If it's not done in time, I will do the legs in thighs in a uds and do the rest on a weber.
| _Trucks-n-BBQ _ | H|--[ ]\____,
|_______________| H|___|____|
(o)(o)"""""""""""(o)(o)****(____)(o)

Last edited by Pinkelephant on Thu Nov 06 14 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My wife wants me to make potato salad from scratch, for the first time ever, for a crowd. Don't think I'm gonna leap off that cliff."

Deep Fried Tater Salad.....easy, just chopping & frying.....can be done while other things are running.....

happy Birthday.....cute munchkin!!!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58863

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58946
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...That's a weird custom Laughing If it's my B-Day, I want to sit on my lazy arse and have people bring me gifts, food (already cooked), and beer Wink

Good luck on your cookout and give Buckie's tater salad a try - It's really good.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Well...That's a weird custom Laughing If it's my B-Day, I want to sit on my lazy arse and have people bring me gifts, food (already cooked), and beer Wink

Good luck on your cookout and give Buckie's tater salad a try - It's really good.

It gets wierder than that out in the country. you have the party and provide the food, booze and seats and everyone comes and the bad ones sit in your yard, drunk on your booze and gossip about you. At least on this side of the world, you get to pick your guests. Over there these poor ppl dump every thing they have into feeding the neighborhood so people will not say bad things about them.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25 14 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1buckie wrote:
"My wife wants me to make potato salad from scratch, for the first time ever, for a crowd. Don't think I'm gonna leap off that cliff."

Deep Fried Tater Salad.....easy, just chopping & frying.....can be done while other things are running.....

happy Birthday.....cute munchkin!!!

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58863

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58946

That looks like something I'd do in cast iron over some coals (no smoke). My bro screwed up the cure on 2 of my CI skillets. frying up a pound of bacon in an experiment tomorrow should fix one of them. next week my cousin in law will be here and he's a kettle head. I may put him to work. If I get out of the house tomorrow, I will get the stuff for a test batch

(UPDATE)
I got the new UDS built but had no time to play this weekend. I am supposed to be home early on Friday. I may make a sample batch of the taters then if I can get it all done. I will have 2 drums and a weber to cook on so I will be fine. I also have 2 guys who can help when the multitasking starts.

Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30 14 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better half deligated all the sides to other party goers, so I'm down to cooking the chicken and chili.

The plan:

Make Big Ron's hot wings with big ron sauce and srirachi sauce.

Make chicken legs with seasoned salt and HOH then basted with big rons sauce at the end.

Make a bunch of thighs with seasoned salt and HOH then glaze them with a version of Roxy's rib glaze.

and make my late ex's mexican chili.
(everything over mesquite)

I plan to play with that tater salad soon, but the sides are covered and I HAVE to have all the food packed in the van at 1130am "OR ELSE!". (If I'm late, I can go in the car and miss a bunch of decoration hanging, but my wife may start planning my hanging too)

I have a drum painted and assembled and I only need to mount the bottle opener, tighten the intakes and cure it to have 2 UDSs ready to go. I will cure it with a slow burn while I sleep on fri night.

The chili is timed perfectly, the morning I cook it will be our first frost of the year.

Last edited by Pinkelephant on Fri Oct 31 14 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinkelephant wrote:
BUGSnBBQ wrote:

It gets wierder than that out in the country. you have the party and provide the food, booze and seats and everyone comes and the bad ones sit in your yard, drunk on your booze and gossip about you. At least on this side of the world, you get to pick your guests. Over there these poor ppl dump every thing they have into feeding the neighborhood so people will not say bad things about them.

I'd throw ALL them bums off my property Laughing If you don't come bearing gifts on my B-Day, y'all can get the hell OUT Laughing Damn, and I thought MY wife's family was nutso Laughing Good luck - Sounds like you're gonna need it.

Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Pinkelephant wrote:
BUGSnBBQ wrote:

I'd throw ALL them bums off my property Laughing If you don't come bearing gifts on my B-Day, y'all can get the hell OUT Laughing Damn, and I thought MY wife's family was nutso Laughing Good luck - Sounds like you're gonna need it.

(off topic for a bit here, still 36 hours till the smokers light up)
I should put that in context. Philippines is a 3rd world country with a corrupt and greedy govt. There are only jobs for half the working age people and families survive by sticking together. If you have a job and you have stuff, you are expected to share with your family. There's no welfare system to feed ppl. they have to stick together to survive. that breeds a class of free loaders that live off the work of others in the form of lazy family members and lazy corrupt local officials. It's a completly different set of moral standards and a different value on life. there is a lot of good and it's really beautiful, but you don't piss off the neighborhood toothless busy bodies or it will be you they are gossiping about. (voodoo dolls, witch doctors and all)

The ones who come over here (that I know) are eager to step away from that and live the american dream (what's left of it). The parties are "bring a dish" events that are really fun to be at. there is not much difference between the kiddy birthday parties and the adult new years parties. same ppl, same attitude. I'm a trucker living in a one room school house out in the country and there will be a millionare and 1 or 2 multi-millionares at my daughters party, elbo to elbo with the rest of us and having the same good time. My wife is having me rebuild my house from scratch just so she can invite over the class of filipinas she hangs out with.
That's why I'm mostly offline right now. I'm a construction worker on the weekends and a trucker on the weekdays. any spare time i get goes to my daughter.
Catman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pinkelephant"][quote="BUGSnBBQ"][quote="Pinkelephant"]
BUGSnBBQ wrote:
any spare time i get goes to my daughter.

Your daughters shirt in the first post is spot on.

Having spent some time in the PI, I can relate.
Good people.

What ever it is, do it, do it 'till you're satisfied.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31 14 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Having spent some time in the PI, I can relate.
Good people.

+1 on the Philippines.....And I'd add, that everywhere I've been in the last 3 years over seas, it is pretty much the same way. Family sticks together.

The freeloaders over here don't realize how good they got it on the gravy train with the big biscuit wheels! Shocked
Weber 22.5 Performer
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drums are smokin!!
Me and 3 filipinas got up at 4am and got to cooking.
I slow smoked the thighs while the other drum smoked the chili meat. The chili is made and cooking down. I moved the thighs to the hot drum and I'm about to make the glaze. 4 hours later our MARINE is still in bed!. We dropped a 2 yr old on him and I said he's giving the Marines a bad name. Challenge was met and he was in the shower in 5 minutes!. the cool drum is now a hot drum and cooking legs and wings..
3.5 hours to go...
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is certainly a cultural divide at play here. I don't really have an experience to compare it to.

However, I do understand the satisfaction of feeding a crowd and making them happy.

All the best to you and your endeavors. From what you've shown, the food is going to be great.

Here in Atlanta (of all places), it has been snowing in the early morning hours and the wind is howling at 25-35 MPH at near freezing. The girls are begging for a fire in the hearth, but I'm thinking grilled chicken in the Weber this afternoon for college football tailgating. First real cold snap of the season and I'm planning to grill.

If that isn't bad enough, my college-bound son went to the beach on the Georgia coast this weekend. Scoffed at the idea he might need a jacket. I guess having him on our health insurance until he is 26 is going to reap some dividends against his foolishness as opposed to our increased costs. Beach doesn't equal warm all the time.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
There is certainly a cultural divide at play here. I don't really have an experience to compare it to.

However, I do understand the satisfaction of feeding a crowd and making them happy.

All the best to you and your endeavors. From what you've shown, the food is going to be great.

Here in Atlanta (of all places), it has been snowing in the early morning hours and the wind is howling at 25-35 MPH at near freezing. The girls are begging for a fire in the hearth, but I'm thinking grilled chicken in the Weber this afternoon for college football tailgating. First real cold snap of the season and I'm planning to grill.

If that isn't bad enough, my college-bound son went to the beach on the Georgia coast this weekend. Scoffed at the idea he might need a jacket. I guess having him on our health insurance until he is 26 is going to reap some dividends against his foolishness as opposed to our increased costs. Beach doesn't equal warm all the time.

It's 29 degrees here at sunup. I was kinda lucky it was so cold. the chili meat got left in the car. I checked its temp. the back seat meat was 34 degrees when I found it
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a sneak peak.
I will edit this when I have time

BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01 14 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a lot better than the food I'm looking forward to this afternoon.

The cost of cord wood has exploded here over the last year. I paid $75 a 4x8 cord of oak, hickory and cherry, delivered and stacked.

This year, I can't find a face cord of just oak, stacked and delivered for less than $200 on craigslist.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and it snowed this morning in Atlanta. Not enough to stick, but I can't remember it snowing this early in Atlanta in the last ten years.
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just giving you crap, no offense intended. Looks like it's gonna be one hell of a party. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail Laughing My best friend, when I was in grammar school, was a Filipino and I would often go to his house after school for a snack. His grandma lived there and she made the most wonderful fish soup/stew concoction. It had heads and bones in it and was served over rice. They always had some prepared and it is one of my fondest food memories of childhood. That stuff was GOOD!!! Any idea what it was?

BigO - I didn't realize wood had gotten so high. I just cut down a big red oak and burned it all, bitching the whole time because I didn't need it, and didn't want to save it for later in the year. I've got to cut down another another one sometime this year. If you're interested in it, let me know - You can have it all. I'll cut it, but I ain't gonna split, deliver, and stack for any amount of $$ Laughing Sorry, that's too much like work Laughing Laughing

BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's big enough, it might be worth renting a splitter from the Despot for a day. I have a pickup. LMK when you decide to fell it.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02 14 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
I was just giving you crap, no offense intended. Looks like it's gonna be one hell of a party. My invite must have gotten lost in the mail Laughing My best friend, when I was in grammar school, was a Filipino and I would often go to his house after school for a snack. His grandma lived there and she made the most wonderful fish soup/stew concoction. It had heads and bones in it and was served over rice. They always had some prepared and it is one of my fondest food memories of childhood. That stuff was GOOD!!! Any idea what it was?

Don't sweat the ribbing. I actually had to scroll up to see what you were talking about. I have the same feelings on what I would put up with on my property.
I will find out about the soup. I will ask a few people because every island has it's own language and culture and they don't all cook the same.

The party was awesome. I cooked for 6.5 hours and came home with nothing to eat. I will probably have to cook a frozen pizza for dinner. I would say the head count was about 75. My wife told me 25 the last time we talked about the head count and this morning she mentioned there would be about 30 kids. that's when I knew i was out of the loop on a few things. Everyone had enough for thirds and the remainder snuck out the door in doggie bags. I'd call that a good day. I'm holding out on the pics till the party goers start sharing pics on facebook
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06 14 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chicken
The legs n hot wings came out perfect. The thighs were good but I wasnt happy with them. The only can of PAM I had was organic canola oil. I cured my new drum with it and left a low fire in it overnight so I could cook that morning. The oil stayed runny and never cured. It didn't effect the chili meat but I could taste it in the thighs. I got complemented on it and it was all eaten, so I give it a C+.

The chili was a hit and it lasted thru the first serving.

This was a Filipino dish. There was a huge pot of Filipino soup made with pork neck bones that didnt get in the pics.

Lumpia (thin crispy egg rolls with pork and veggies. it's kind of like a borrito, the filling options are endless ( like banana and sugar)

Chicken

This is Filipino hot dogs, fried and skewered with flavored marshmellows. Kids from the Philippines love this stuff. The only problem was no kids from the Philippines came to the party

Flavored, colored rice cakes

I have to give credit to Ninfa in the striped sweater. Her husband is retired and she bakes all day and gives the food away whenever she gets the chance. She brought a bunch of food to the party and to most of the other parties in the area. She also stuck around for the cleanup.

The birthday girl in her Frozen dress.

My wife's Filipino relatives on the right (The cooking team)

The local Filipinas in our area

It all went great. The hardest part was, Asia spent an entire day that was all about her. when she woke up the next day and it wasn't all about her anymore, she didn't like that very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: