FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for help on a meat I have never cooked.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron.sterud

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 14 10:32 am    Post subject: Looking for help on a meat I have never cooked. Reply with quote

So, my co-worker just built a new house, and wants me to cook for their friends and family when they are moving everything. Which is good for me, since I wont have to lift heavy things, due to the fact I have to watch the smoker. The issue is, I suggested pork butt, and do PP. What the co-worker got and dropped off tonight is Beef Loin Top BNLS Sirloin Butt 1/4 trim at 16.60 pounds. HOW DO I COOK THIS. I have a go-to rub that everyone that has tried it, loves it. I have used it on brisket, pork butt, pork ribs, and even chicken breast, with good results. I am just wondering how I should cook this. Should I treat it like a big arse brisket? or like a pork shoulder? They are looking to eat at 1800(6:00pm) on Saturday, so I have some time to game plan this.
Toontroller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22 14 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading your description correctly you have a whole sirloin steak which to me is a really neat piece to cook whole.

Marinate with Allegro Original Marinade for a couple hours. Just cut open one end of the bag, pour it in and let it sit.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/06/84/91/0003068491984_500X500.jpg

Roll it in course ground sea salt, when you think you have too much put some more on. Most will cook off.

Sear it over hot coals (don't panic when it flames up when the fat side is down)

Finish it in the smoker to desired doneness normally medium rare to medium for most folks.

Cut and serve like a prime rib. Have a hot skillet ready for anyone that wants their meat more done, just cut their piece and throw it in the pan, only takes a couple minutes.

Time wise, give yourself 4 1/2 hours from start to serve. Allowing the meat to rest 30 minutes after you pull it from the smoker.

Hope this helps.
aaron.sterud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23 14 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a long night, with little sleep, but lots of reading of different forums, I went to SAMs club and got a few pork butts. I spent the same amount on pork butts as my co-worker did on the beef, with the left overs going to them. Then I cut the beef into 3 parts and froze two of them. I will serve PP samies and also cook the 1/3 piece of beef I left out of the freezer. I talked to my co-worker about this, and the reason why she got the beef was she did not see the pork butt. So as long as my PP turns out like normal I should be good and not have the lose face on this burn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: