FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food Truck or Catering Trailer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djbutter22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 12 2014    Post subject: Food Truck or Catering Trailer? Reply with quote

If you had a choice for your catering situation, which would you choose?
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Oct 12 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering I JUST bought my 2nd trailer....I'll vote trailer!! Wink I do have 2 cube vans and an F350 to pull them with, so my decision was easy....I have enough motors/drivetrains to maintain - plus, the room in a trailer can be MUCH larger....I just bought a 8.5w x 20' long with v nose, 7' tall. JUST a bit bigger / roomier than your average food truck Cool The tow vehicle has yet to be an issue as its quick enough to disconnect if needed, plus if the tow vehicle breaks down, the trailer can still be used in some capacity, not stuck in a shop somewhere. JM2C.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

A food truck and a trailer, but I'm greedy
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

Food trucks only have a slight edge in maneuverability in tight quarters. The advantages stop there- if it breaks down you are done.After you contact your insurance agent I think you will find a BIG difference in rates. Food trucks also get the nod on "cool factor" as well. If you need to be cool this might be the choice for you! Unless it's a big truck you will have storage issues for bigger events.

I've had two trailers for a long time- both purpose built for volume BBQ while allowing me to cook other foods. I don't have fryers (other than portable) as the hoods and fire suppression then becomes an issue. For catering it's the best way to go for us. If I want to play food truck I pull up and vend out the serving window....
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

I used this unit for a few years until we started a restaurant, it had fryers and a griddle so there wasn't much we couldn't do. We would tow the smoker with us for onsite catering.

qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Oct 13 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a trailer which I put together low budget to satisfy the HD and sold it as soon as we put smokers through the wall the next year. I learned some things with my first. Always have a smoker with a extractor, a hood just isn't as good. Have a taller ceiling, I'm 6'4" and stooping to clear the lights got old fast. And use stainless for walls and ceiling and diamond plate for the floor. Steel painted walls and ceiling and vinyl floors stain.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/qfanatic01/trailer002.jpg[

I am building a food truck with a lowered serving area. Above that is storage and a work table for the upper level. I have a generator and gas appliances. I have a sp300 to go in the back work area across from the sink. The window in the door will be the order window and the other window will be pick up. I have a hitch on it so I can pull one of my 4 smoker trailers or a walk in cooler trailer. You only need mechanical refrigeration if you are cold holding for more than 4 hours. I can transport my meats in coolers and cook on site. I am almost finished framing and I will be sending it to the sheet metal shop next week. I will finish plumbing and electrical this winter.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/qfanatic01/foodtruck101114070_zps1641df46.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/qfanatic01/foodtruck101114074_zpsc8194c93.jpg
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

@qfanatic, that food truck looks great, love the size, nice and big.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

Q - I have "mill aluminum" walls [ read the same painted sheets they use on the outside with the raw aluminum surface exposed ] over 3/8" lauan plywood...A lot lighter and cheaper!! A few dings here and there over the years, but nothing substantial...just a thought!
Good looking rig, just dont fall in that hole bro!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Oct 14 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No falling, you'll see when it's done. Nothing cleans up better than stainless. I'm putting it 3 ft up on the outside too, then a wrap. The easier it is to clean, the cleaner it will be. Oven cleaner is my best friend, oh and my angle grinder. Oven cleaner also etches and stains Aluminum.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Oct 15 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

All about the trailer here, although our 2 biggest revenue generators are smaller Wagon open air trailers. For 2015 we're going back to our families old school roots and building a second Street cart.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Dangerous Dan

PostPosted: Nov 15 2014    Post subject: Jersey Devil BBQ Food Truck Reply with quote

I got tired of dragging around a trailer so we're building a food truck right now!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Nov 30 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food trucks are BIG here right now there must be over a 100. Unless you have a a new or relatively new power plant (as in new everything, not a short block) and drive-train, reworked brakes and the like you will get tired of being broken down. I see it all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: