FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building and maintaining a fire to smoke food!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22 10 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a revised "minion method" and burn unlit charcoal by adding a 1/2 chimney of lit, when I use this method I add the lit near the cooking chamber end, that way it doesn't blow up, (with a heat spike), as the flames are fanned towards the cooking chamber.

Practice and learn, then repeat! Wink Laughing Wink

I still work here!
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16 10 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunqui wrote:
I've read a number of Char Griller owners who have complained on the accuracy of the thermometer. I'd suggest getting an inexpensive cooks thermometer and oven thermometer as backup.

If you type in Google - Chargriller mods - you will find some different things on making modifications to your Chargriller. All of which should improve your smoking experience. I found mods about adding new thermometers as well as plugging leaks so that your smoker doesn't suck in too much air making it easier to control your temps. I know I don't have much faith in my thermometer on my Chargriller Pro.

Hope this helps.

Here are some links I found:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=810

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/CharGrilleMods.pdf

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
SoTexSkinny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 11 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us down here in the Hill Country are purists when it comes to the fire and use only wood and lump charcoal. I like to start the fire in my offset with a bed of lump on a very open grate (about 2"x3" grid) with a couple of splits on top. I'll let this fire go for 3-4 hours and add splits as necessary to build a nice bed of coals. Once everything has turned white and there's no hint of that charcoal smell I will add an anchor type log. They'll usually go several hours without requiring too much attention and wont flare up on you. Once you get to know your pit, your dampers and stacks can be adjusted to fit the conditions. Some people would call me me a minion, but I'd rather go old school and put the time and love into it. That's why we do it anyway right?
SlicTrix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01 13 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please delete this, it doesn't give me the option to delete

Thx

Last edited by SlicTrix on Fri Mar 01 13 7:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01 13 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did I!

Please play nice, cause the sand box isn't the only place one can get thrown out of! Wink

I still work here!
Trickyputt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13 14 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start a fire with paper and some kingsford. I use a chimney full and throw it in the fb. I stuff the firebox with split wood and let it rip to warm up the cooker and season it a bit. It depends on what I am cooking, some things I crutch early, and if so I will put foiled things on at this stage, but mainly I am making lump charcoal, so getting heat in the fire is the biggest thing. When its going REALLY good I snuff it and let the wood carbonize. I dont open it, but I can watch the temps fall, and usually I will check it at 125. The wood will be black, not smokey anymore and suitable for a nice even burn. Then I start cooking. I have another place to make charcoal if I need to, but for most cooks this works fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Smoked Foods All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: