FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Added capacity to smoker ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranksBackyardBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 14 5:22 am    Post subject: Added capacity to smoker ? Reply with quote

I recently added another grate to my smoker to increase capacity. Now it seems it is taking quite a bit longer to finish up everything. I'm thinking there are other people that have had the same issue.

What would be my best option? Trying to kick up the heat or allowing for more time?

Im cooking 60 lbs brisket, 40 lbs butts, and 36 slabs of baby backs.

any opinions greatly appreciated
Thank you
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01 14 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends to your smoker but what you have done is reduced your air flow so your answer is both, you could try rib racks that will free up space but I'm sure you will get a better answer from someone else
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 14 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when I added to my chimney it changed how my Lang breathed...It changed the draw, start-up to temp time [ shortened the time to get hot]. Maybe adding to your chimney is the answer to get better draw?? On my "scrapper" which has 6 racks, when I fill her up, I use a 3' length of pipe a little bigger than the original chimney - I simply slip it over the existing chimney giving me about a 2 1/2' extension based on how it rests,and she humms right along! I did similar on my Lang with simple thin wall stove pipe [ sell tapper screwed to heavy pipe ] for clearance so I wouldnt burn down the morons tent next to us at a fair once, and its still on 3 years later!!
Any old pc of sheet metal rolled up and zip screwed into place/shape would work just to try!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
fish&q
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02 14 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony what did you use to extend your smoke stack,. I don't want to go thru the roof but I'm having a hard time finding a 90 that is 8''
Meadow Creek chicken cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: