FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singin' the Blues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08 14 12:10 am    Post subject: Singin' the Blues Reply with quote

We set up at a Blues gig we've done for the past couple years, ASSuming it would be a so-so gig....I cooked plenty of pork and brisket, thought I brought wayyy too much chicken, so I put a case in the freezer, cooked heavy Fri night and froze shoulders and brisket to have ready for a BIG GIG were doing next week [ 5 day Harley trash Wink week - love me some Harley gig's ] Fri night was ok, though we also fed the VIP lounge [ 60 head guaranteed ] Sat was a nice, sunshiney day, sales were about average with the past...maybe $200/hr...when all of a sudden the crowd started to appear!! Good thing I had the smoker full!! We ended up selling ALL the chicken [ putting partially frozen 10 pound clumps of thighs on, busting them up as they defrosted, pulled ALL of the brisket out and sold it, even had a previously frozen 40 pound+ block of cooked pork on that was in freezer[ for next week ], chopping off edges as they defrosted - panning and covering until up to temp....ended up bringing home a few handfulls of pork...THATS IT!! HOLY CHIT Bluesman!!!
Must have been the new wrap on the truck??? What a way to end our "normal" vending schedule!! Averaging $1k an hour for 4 hour dinner rush!!!!!!!!
We were the last vendor open for the last 2 hours as even my sausage guy [ who was set up next to me ] ran out of everything, including after sending people back to his shop to get "whatever" he had in stock!! Was selling $9.00 ribeye sandwiches until they too were gone...he finally was down to a dozen hot dogs when he gave them to me and shut down! The other BBQ guy running to local grocer for more ribs, cheese curd guy emptying his fridges and freezers!! One local bar doing same grocery store run for whatever they could toss on their gas grill....Even the organizer / beer bar ran out of beer - going to a local bar and buying up all their canned beer etc!!!!
Hope y'all find the same pot of gold we did this fall - now our fall is full of new to us gig's, one being the biggest we have ever done!....I may be changing my mind on heading south for the winter - looks like I MAY be able to survive the cold wrapped up in $20 bills to keep warm.....LOL!!! The way I feel, I may just hibernate with the bears [ NOT the chicago ones - GO PACK!!]
Get out there guy's n gal's - keep that smoke rollin' - there ARE little gig's worth while doing!! Ya just NEVER KNOW!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08 14 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I've been following your story here for the last few yrs. & reading what I can between the lines. You remind me of something my grandpa used to say. " Hard work & hard times makes a good man work harder- And lets him enjoy his dinner". Best of luck...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: