FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old School Pitmasters - How The BBQ Inustry Has Changed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
98 Red Kettle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22 14 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Social media is the biggest culprit...and 99% of the nitwits on FB and Yelp really don't have a clue what good BBQ is.
I know of a poster on a BLOG I follow that seems to be pretty smart about food. He/she often speaks about BBQ techniques with an air of expertise and I can just tell they are speaking from what they've read instead of what they've done.

Livin' in fear is just another way of dyin' before your time.
necron 99
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23 14 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the article - thanks for the link!
chashint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24 14 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many years of BBQ inactivity I became interested in doing it again last summer.
I made a big batch of baby backs and served the whole family.
They were falling off the bone and everyone loved them.
Afterwards I decided I should do some BBQ research and found out the overwhelming majority of BBQ 'experts' deemed falling off the bone as undesirable.
The next family gathering featured another big batch of baby backs and even though I tried not to have them fall off the bones, once again the bones literally fell out of them.
At the dinner table I talked about what I had learned through my research and how I was going to get it right next time.
I went outside to grill pineapple slices for dessert and when I came back in the family had been discussing my intention to toughen up the next batch of ribs and I was told in no uncertain terms that they wanted the ribs to be served exactly the way I was doing it.
I have served ribs for my wife and myself that were cooked so the bones had to be pulled out of the rack and even though they were quite good I prefer the fall off the bone ribs myself.
I agree with cooking for the crowd you are serving.
Right or wrong my family and I want the BBQ falling apart.
OKBBQEA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25 14 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
OKBBQEA wrote:
Smokin Mike wrote:
Twisted Evil And who decided that fall off the bone chicken or ribs is over cooked?

I did... Must have missed you when I sent out the memo. Wink

Doesn't matter.. I would've chucked the memo in file #13. Laughing I'm kinda anti-establishment in case nobody has noticed.

HAHA! Good plan! Wink

One of the things I've tried to preach through my blog from day one is that there is no "best" style of BBQ.

Quote:
I like to eat BBQ. I don't believe there is any one best style of BBQ. I have tried several and there are things I like and dislike about all of them.

The opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone. BBQ has to be one of the most subjective foods on the planet. With so many regional styles it's asinine to try and claim any one style to be the best. What I like may not appeal to the next person. What they like may not suit my palette.

If I make a negative comment about BBQ here you shouldn't take my word as the gospel on the subject. Just because I didn't like something doesn't mean you won't love it.

14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain x2
22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
R&O Smokers Fat Girl
Ludicrous Speed Red Thermapen
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26 14 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin Mike wrote:
...Somebody somewhere deemed that ribs shall have some tug and a clean bite. I suppose if that's what you got to do to win the contest then that's what you got to do. But in my non-competitive cooking life all I can say is my guests and I love our ribs and chicken cooked a little beyond the tug stage.... and I'm not talking about meat mush. I just get a little agitated when a cooking preference doesn't get the nod of approval because that's not the way it's done in a comp....

+1......Well said Smokin Mike
Weber 22.5 Performer
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29 14 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chashint wrote:
After many years of BBQ inactivity I became interested in doing it again last summer.
I made a big batch of baby backs and served the whole family.
They were falling off the bone and everyone loved them.
Afterwards I decided I should do some BBQ research and found out the overwhelming majority of BBQ 'experts' deemed falling off the bone as undesirable.
The next family gathering featured another big batch of baby backs and even though I tried not to have them fall off the bones, once again the bones literally fell out of them.
At the dinner table I talked about what I had learned through my research and how I was going to get it right next time.
I went outside to grill pineapple slices for dessert and when I came back in the family had been discussing my intention to toughen up the next batch of ribs and I was told in no uncertain terms that they wanted the ribs to be served exactly the way I was doing it.
I have served ribs for my wife and myself that were cooked so the bones had to be pulled out of the rack and even though they were quite good I prefer the fall off the bone ribs myself.
I agree with cooking for the crowd you are serving.
Right or wrong my family and I want the BBQ falling apart.

I went the other way around, I cooked them the way I always liked them, dry and with a bit of pull. When the whole BBQ pitmasters thing came out I tried the trigg method (like everyone else), and I didn't care for them. Everyone else did.

I went back to making them the way I like them. Everyone likes them. But when my mother-in-law passed, I prepared everything she loved - corned beef, ribs, etc. I cooked for the service and made the ribs the way she loved them- sloppy and fall off the bone. Made about 6 slabs spicy, six sweet.

Everyone was fighting over them, fearful there wasn't enough. I ended up with like 12 lbs of left over corned beef and not a trace of ribs.

Lesson was clear, people liked my ribs the way I like them, people loved the ribs the other way. So I am bucking up and making the bulk of ribs now the way everyone loves them. They are still good, so I enjoy them either way, but I always liked dry and salty. Now I only get that if I'm cooking for myself, or maybe a small reserve of some for me.

End of the day, it is all about taste.
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01 14 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a JohnnyTrigg interview where he even
said that he doesn't care for his competition ribs.
He said he prefers some salt and pepper and cook them
right and that's about it

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
98 Red Kettle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13 14 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

necron 99 wrote:
I liked the article - thanks for the link!

Glad you liked it.

Livin' in fear is just another way of dyin' before your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: