FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inverter machines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lennyk

PostPosted: Mon May 20 13 2:10 am    Post subject: Inverter machines Reply with quote

What is the verdict on them ?
Wanna get a stick machine and my back hurts.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon May 20 13 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lennyk, I move my Miller 225 around with a truck dolly.

Hybrid Cooker
aufgehdraht

PostPosted: Mon May 20 13 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverter are amazing they are more efficient. More controlable the only down side to em is cost i think itd be over kill for just a stick welder and if the only reason you want one is portability i think a dolly or longer leads would be the way to go but otherwise yea go for an inverter for sure i would go with a lincoln they have all the contols right on the machine and much more combatability with other brand of parts.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon May 20 13 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run a machine like mine with fixed leads you need to be aware that adding to much lead to the machine could be harmful to it. I kept my ground cable the factory length and added a 10' section to my whip end. With my extension cord I can reach the end of my 40" driveway if need be. Welding with 7018 3/32" is fine but I have to watch running 1/8" 7018's for prolonged use that far out.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
aufgehdraht

PostPosted: Tue May 21 13 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having longer leads shouldnt cause any problems as long as your using a big enough awg wire. Ive ran hundred foot leads with no ill effect. If you're having problems check your awg, conections, and your welder. It might be goin bad on you.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue May 21 13 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aufgehdraht wrote:
Having longer leads shouldnt cause any problems as long as your using a big enough awg wire. Ive ran hundred foot leads with no ill effect. If you're having problems check your awg, conections, and your welder. It might be goin bad on you.

I have ran 100' plus leads on larger machines designed for it as well.
The Miller Thunderbolt 225 like the Lincoln Tombstone 225 and Hobart have #4 fixed leads. There is nothing wrong with my machine believe me. Wink
In order to increase the AWG you would need to cut loose the factory clamps inside the machine to add larger cable and this is not something I am prepared to do I have enough cable for my needs. Simply adding a Tweco connector and bigger leads to a #4 cable factory hooked to the machine isn't gonna cut it in my opinion, your still bottle necked at the machine. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
morkdach

PostPosted: Thu May 23 13 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverters are great and the prices are coming down.
They live longer now with all the newer tech.
Most all have a 3 to 5 year warrenty.
The arc on a stick is very chrisp and smooth.
cupped wings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
aufgehdraht wrote:

The Miller Thunderbolt 225 like the Lincoln Tombstone 225 and Hobart have #4 fixed leads. There is nothing wrong with my machine believe me. Wink
In order to increase the AWG you would need to cut loose the factory clamps inside the machine to add larger cable and this is not something I am prepared to do I have enough cable for my needs. Simply adding a Tweco connector and bigger leads to a #4 cable factory hooked to the machine isn't gonna cut it in my opinion, your still bottle necked at the machine. Wink

Actually it is not a big deal at all to add larger AWG cable to your existing #4 cable KAM to extend your lead and ground. This is commonly done, just usually at the electrode holder end. A lot of contractors will run hundreds of feet of #1/0 or 2/0 cable and then run a 10-15 foot #4 "whip" cable with a 200 amp electrode holder on it so they are not holding and supporting the heavier cable while welding.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07 13 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cupped wings wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:
aufgehdraht wrote:

Actually it is not a big deal at all to add larger AWG cable to your existing #4 cable KAM to extend your lead and ground. This is commonly done, just usually at the electrode holder end. A lot of contractors will run hundreds of feet of #1/0 or 2/0 cable and then run a 10-15 foot #4 "whip" cable with a 200 amp electrode holder on it so they are not holding and supporting the heavier cable while welding.

As I said the adding 1/0 to the factory equipped #4 is not recommended on the smaller 225 machines. They are set up with the recommended cable size and length to ensure that you do not overload the machine. It is like having 14 gauge wire the first foot out of a receptacle then saying it is okay to add 10 gauge and go another 100 feet for 50 amp service its not safe on the equipment. If you understand what I am trying to convey your bottle necking your amps. If I were to open my machine and break the factory #4 off then add the 1/0 I would feel safe about not hurting my machine but like I said I am set up just fine like I am. Wink
I have welded over 100' in the air with extended leads but on machines that were designed to work this way.

Hybrid Cooker
tigman250

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10 13 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverters have plenty of pros, they are smaller, lighter and probably their biggest pro is you can run them on any voltage or on single/three phase. if they have any cons it would be that the technology is fairly new, well new compared to their transformer based cousins anyway and in my experience they are not as "tough" as a transformer machine. It's not uncommon to have to replace an inverter board every now and then. That is experience in an industrial setting, in a hobby type setting where they stay cleaner and are not run as hard they will probably last a lifetime.
lennyk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07 14 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased one of the Chinese igbt inverter stick machines, 160amp.
This thing is about 12lbs.

There are hundreds of them on ebay.
Need to make a power cable for it, will try it out later this week.
lennyk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02 14 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using my igbt 160a 220v inverter stick few months now,
Very happy with it.

I initially had trouble learning to strike arc and welding anything but flat but i seem to have gotten better hang of it now.

Built a steel shed roof yesterday with it and even joined some short pieces of pipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: