FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dutch Oven Lasagna plus Dessert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14 14 12:17 pm    Post subject: Dutch Oven Lasagna plus Dessert Reply with quote

I did this cook using the new “oven ready” lasagna noodles and it was also my first cook in my new camp style dutch oven that I received from my children for my birthday.

Nice thing about these noodles is that they don’t have to be cooked first as you just layer them uncooked into the DO along with your other ingredients. I did change my recipe by adding more sauce to help with the final product.

I started with a little sauce on the bottom and then my first layer of the noodles. I then added 3 more layers consisting of my meat (a mixture of my homemade and super spicy Italian sausage and some 72% burger along with my sauce and spices), my wet cheese mixture, shredded cheese, and more noodles.

I did use some shredded cheddar for color on the last layer of ingredients.

Was a cooler morning with intermittent showers so I setup my cooking area with my WSM which I sometimes use for DO cooking in bad weather to shield my oven from the elements.

I cooked my lasagna until it was done at about 375 degrees and I did have to use the lid of the WSM a couple of times to avoid the rain showers.

Just before it came off of the fire.

I started some more charcoal and then made up my dessert which was a cherry chocolate cake in another DO.

I figured the rain was done so I did this short cook on my table.

Just before it came off of the fire.

The results of my cook.

Now, as plated.

I did add a scoop of ice cream to my dessert.

The felt cook was still a little short on sauce so I will add more on the next cook and I sure like the “oven ready” noodles as they save me a step on the cooking process especially for camping.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14 14 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

Haven't done a DO lasagna, done other pasta dishes, just not lasagna going to have to give it a go, I like a lot of sauce on the bottom of my lasagna, at least a 1/4 - 1/3" with some meat in it, then layer up pasta, cheese, more meat and sauce, repeat.

There are a number of shortcuts and assists that I like to use for DO cooking, if you have the time to cook everything from scratch it's one thing, but with pre- made pasta, pastry, fillings, you can put a good meal out, in half the time... and I like that too! Wink

Going to be cooking some DO with my son tomorrow, we will see if we come up with some pictures and info... you never know. Laughing Wink Laughing

I still work here!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14 14 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking cook. I agree you have too add a little extra sauce with the oven ready pasta...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: