FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef jerky recipes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMills151

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17 10 8:57 am    Post subject: Beef jerky recipes? Reply with quote

Ive done a few beef jerky batches so far, all of them have came out real salty. Does anyone have a good recipe? And im using london broil for the meat, what kind of meat to you all use? Any help would be good
CrazyChef
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18 10 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am truly not trying to be a smartass here, but why don't you just use less salt?
JMills151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19 10 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me ive tried, just looking for a good recipe
davejschultz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try soaking your meat in water with some peeled potatoes for about 30 minutes, then drying completely before smoking. The potatoes will help draw salt from the meat.

Alternatively, a simple rinse in plain water will always help.

BTW, I only use bottom round roasts for my jerky. Less expensive...a bit more trimming work, but the end product is the same.

Char-Griller Trio 3030 / Masterbuilt 30 Electric / Webber One Touch Gold / Small BGE
cityevader
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11 10 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done three batches so far, first two terribly salty.
I was using high mountain curing salt mix for 24 hours per 1/4" thickness. (Very specific quantity according to measured weight of meat by the way).

Last batch I did I rinsed it all off after curing, then added a bit of Soy Vay teriyaki to the meat in a baggie for another 24 hours, rinsed that off, smoked it at 150 for three hours, then in the oven on lowest temp with door part open for another two hours. As good as store bought!

To make the ° temperature symbol, hold the Alt key while typing 248 on keypad.
smitty81

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13 10 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didnt accidently mix the cure and seasoning for ground meat instead of muscle meat did you?

The quantity for ground meat is different than for muscle meat.

The mixture for ground contains enough more cure and seasoning to make it taste salty.

I have used hi-mountain seasoning before and it has always turned out good.
Duckhead79

PostPosted: Fri May 28 10 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not following a recipe. I dont remember the last time I followed a recipe for anything.
I have made 2 batches of beef jerky using london broil in the last month. the first batch only lasted a few hours because i brought it to work. I never marinade for more than a few hours. and as you dehydrate the marinade will still be on the outside of the meat and it will dry on it, leaving flavor. I want to taste the beef AND the seasoning, not just the seasoning. If I do marinade over night, I keep the cut of beef whole and just let it sit in about 1/8 inch of the marinade. Cutting the beef in strips then marinading can result in too much flavor being sucked up into the beef. my marinade usually consists of worcestershire, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, course black pepper, cayenne, a tiny touch of liquid smoke, a small amount of kosher salt...I think thats it. Like I said I never follow a recipe so I just start grabbing stuff out of the cabinet to season. Never too salty... remember that cayenne and cumin are strong and can ruin a marinade pretty quick so go easy on those ingredients. Also using onion and garlic powder will cut down on the salt as opposed to using onion salt or garlic salt. I also think the liquid smoke can go away because i smoke my meat for about half an hour or 45 min, then bring it inside to dehydrate. I try to smoke at as cold of a temp as possible. I cut the meat into strips before smoking. also remember that airflow is what dehydrates. too much heat can actually cook the meat and make it flaky and dry, not a good jerky consistancy. i will also sprinkle on a bit more black pepper on the strips before putting in the oven. i will turn my oven on to the lowest temp (170 on mine), put the jerky on a rack and put it in the oven, I then open the door to the first stopping position, usually about 1 foot and I place an oscillating fan on one side of the door facing in and the tray on the other side of the oven. let this go for about 2 hours. then bring the meat out and set it on the counter and let the fan continue to blow over the meat overnight...so about another 6-8 hours. this airflow continues to dehydrate and it is not cooking anymore. my jerky comes out nice and chewy, doesnt taste cooked, and isnt too salty one bit. I think thats all the advice I have...
JMills151

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23 10 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank u everybody for your responses!
slayer2710

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davejschultz wrote:
Try soaking your meat in water with some peeled potatoes for about 30 minutes, then drying completely before smoking. The potatoes will help draw salt from the meat.

Alternatively, a simple rinse in plain water will always help.

BTW, I only use bottom round roasts for my jerky. Less expensive...a bit more trimming work, but the end product is the same.

i have never tried the patatoes thing i have made jerky 5 times first 2 where so salty i had to throw them out then i rinsed with water and dryed them before going in the smoker and they turned out good... i also only use bottom round roasts

charbroil offset modded
little chef smoker
wildfire00

PostPosted: Sat May 28 11 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the link to my site. it has a great recipe that i use all the time. I have done probably 10 to 15 batches this way.

I hope you enjoy.

Regards
Darcy_7

PostPosted: Wed May 21 14 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shopping around for best brands of jerkies and I must say that list at Ranker amazed me! Do you think lot of people prefer these brands which are in top of that list?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29 14 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darcy_7 wrote:
I was shopping around for best brands of jerkies and I must say that list at Ranker amazed me! Do you think lot of people prefer these brands which are in top of that list?

Nope it's all BS, I just went and pushed Hormel to the top to see if it can be done.

I don't mind Hormel, but you have to have tried multiple brands to provide a valid opinion, there are probably some people who have tried 10 of the 50, a lot fewer who have tried 20 out of the 50, and there may be only a handful that have tried them all. Then you need to know if the way they like their jerky matches the way you like yours... do you like it more or less chewy, spicy or mild, sweet or not.

At the end of the day it's an advertising tool to sell commercial jerky.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: