FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Competition Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 13 14 9:10 am    Post subject: Competition Setup Reply with quote

I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'll ask the newbie question. Anybody got any advice/ pictures of your table and site setups? I'm trying to decide how many tables and how big they should be, how they should be set up etc. And to head them off at the pass so to speak, please no "whichever floats your boat" comments please. Lol

Reborn Oyler 700
Meadowcreek TS250 w/Insulated firebox
Modified OK Joe's Highland Smoker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13 14 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you just need to do what ever floats your boat! Wink Laughing Laughing

OK here is my info for real:

What size pitch do you want to pay for at the competition, they regularly have 10' x 20' for one price or 20' x 20' or 20' x 40' for higher prices.

Then from the size you are willing to pay for, subtract the area of your cooker, allow for free air around it, and allow for standing out of the rain.

Then remember that EZ ups etc come in 8' x 8', 10' x 10' and 12' x 12', some of the longer car port tents come as 10' x 15' and 10' x 20'.

I generally use a 14' x 7' trailer, this provides all my tables, and I cook on the drums outside the back doors, within the 6' x 10' left of my 10' x 20'.

If I'm not able to use the trailer, I use two 10' x 10' EZups one with the walls as a private area, (I put the walls on this section), I use fold down tables, I have 3 x 6' and I form them into a U shape, wash, rinse and sanitize tubs on the right hand of the U as I stand in it, coolers under the table on the left, cutting and prepping on the table in front of me.

Then under the other EZup, I have the cookers, chairs and drink and food coolers.

I don't prep in the open, there are too many nosey folks willing to take time off from what they are doing, to spend time bothering you about what you are doing, shigging off you. (I don't know why they try and shig from me...I don't know nothing)!

Sleeping at the competition, I do in the private area, or by cat napping next to the cookers throughout the night.

I don't take pictures of my set ups, I'll try and find some of the inside of the trailer if you'd like?

I still work here!
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 13 14 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it, I grew up at and have been to several competition's just never paid attention to those details. Like everyone else I've notice everyone on BBQ Pitmasters seems to use L-shaped but didn't know if that was just for tv access.

Reborn Oyler 700
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 13 14 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thas been siad on here many times by several other cooks. Do several run throughs in the drive way and take notes as to what works and what doesn't. I haveseen many different set ups by winning teams, and very few were the same.

The only thing that matters is that your comfortable in the set up. And in your cooking schedule, and the product you turn in.

I use a toy hauler, witht eh ramp set level and the smokers on the ramp with a canopy over it, then I use the garage area for prep and turn in boxes. This helps to make it more weather proof.

RandyE
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 14 14 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the mighty bear said, block your prep area from being bothered -- not only from prying eyes from competitors but from pesky people just wandering about. During the competition you are stressed out about timing anyways, the last thing you need is someone trying to ask questions about everything you are doing. Now Friday nights, that's the time for people to be stopping by for visits and to ask questions - and we encourage it then.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed May 14 14 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie and I are pretty self contained as far as equipment goes. We carry just about everything in rolling job boxes.
When we set up it is one 10 x 10 with a wall kit for our prep area and one 10 x 10 for hanging out under.
I am a little different than Bedlam BBQ as far as visitors meaning Friday night for us is prep night and I do not really want to be bothered. This is when we set down and confirm our times, notes for tomorrows cook, prepping meat and then to bed by 9:00.
The friends and other teams that know us know when our walls are closed come back later unless they need us for something.
The day of the cook for me is much like a cook at home except for when I am preparing boxes.
Here are some pics of our set ups.
The cooker with the boxes and headed out.

A couple of set up pics.

Hybrid Cooker
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 14 14 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, that's what I've been trying to see, if you're allowed more room than just a 10x10 popup and your pit, do you have to allow open area for the "guests", is it rude to have walls blocking your neighbor so to speak etc..... Anyone else with pics please don't be shy.

Reborn Oyler 700
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed May 14 14 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here most cook offs will have you a 40 x 40 or smaller space with or without water and electricity. What you do in that area as far as fencing or blocking off is up to you. I know teams that have portable fencing like a coral so to speak but they are usually entertaining large crowds and going for best dressed. Debbie and I pretty much know the party teams and stay away from those areas for set up because of the foot traffic that comes with it. We rarely leave our area to go visit on cook day. The other teams drop by and visit but they know my routine and respect it, not trying to be snobbish or rude but I have things to do and do not want to get distracted.

Hybrid Cooker
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 14 14 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. Once I'm able to start, I'll be as nervous as a dog trying to pass a peach seed for a while! Shocked

Reborn Oyler 700
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu May 15 14 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigE wrote:
I agree with that. Once I'm able to start, I'll be as nervous as a dog trying to pass a peach seed for a while! Shocked

I think everyone is the first time out. My advice is practice at home on your timing of your cooks, you need a good feel for what to expect if something goes stupid. Like it or not you are now cooking to time, you usually have about a 20 minute window that is it.

Hybrid Cooker
Jo Jo
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 16 14 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the same set-up that KAM uses: 2- 10x10's. One has walls that velcro on (purchased at Costco). It has one zippered opening in the middle of one wall that I have to the back. That gives me a walk-thru to my 2nd 10x10 that my cooker is set-up under. The cooker 10x10 has mesh sides to allow air flow but hinders most of the rain.

I use 2 fold out tables in an L-shape in my prep area. All of my supplies are in containers under the table. My cambros sit on the table to the side of my prep table. There is plenty of room between the cambro table on one side and my coolers on the other to set up a cot for catching some sleep at night after the big meats are on. I have a smaller fold out table next to my cooker for setting things on as I take them in and out of the cooker.
Deep South GC 48
toymaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 16 14 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigE wrote:
I appreciate it, I grew up at and have been to several competition's just never paid attention to those details. Like everyone else I've notice everyone on BBQ Pitmasters seems to use L-shaped but didn't know if that was just for tv access.

The setup was for TV crew access. We weren't allowed to change it Evil or Very Mad
Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe - Baby
Backwoods Party - Victoria
Weber Smokey Joe - Gretchen

USMC - Semper Fi
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 17 14 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments and directions. I trying to save as much grief as possible. I already have (1) 10x10 so I need to look at getting another w/sides. I'm trying as finances allow to gather all my equipment so its not such a large hit at one time and it will allow me time to I use the term loosely "perfect" Shocked my methods!

Reborn Oyler 700
awgraham

PostPosted: Mon May 26 14 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using 2 10'x10' pop ups, one is walled off on 3 sides, with the back open for getting to my cookers. I use the other pop up for sitting in the shade, and if it starts raining, I can move it over my cookers. I only have one 5' folding table right now, Im getting another one soon. But I keep everything so close I dont have to walk but a couple of steps from my cooker to my table. I have the 3 sides walled off for the same reason as above, I dont want people watching what Im doing for prepwork or even my cook process.

Here are a couple pics of my setup. These were over two different contests:

CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 26 14 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one 10x10 popup, I guess I'll get another one but with sides. I thought about one of those 10x20 portable carports with the sides too. Wish I had the money for a trailer, but I guess small steps are best. I discovered my brother in law has 3 foldable tables I can borrow so saves sine money there. I've been watching eBay and craigslist for a cheap cambro.

Reborn Oyler 700
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: