FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General question about 55 gallon drums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeasel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21 13 7:25 am    Post subject: General question about 55 gallon drums Reply with quote

My cousin and I were thinking about some kettle mods and thought we could cut up and use a 55 gallon drum from his shop. Are all drums created equal or should we be wary of its prior contents? In general the drums will have had antifreeze or motor oil in them. If we can use these what sort of prep work is needed to make them safe (scrubbing, sand blasting, heat)? Much thanks in advance.
______
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21 13 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you are in California... 99% of lab rats in California, say that eating food that has been prepared in drums that contained motor oil and antifreeze may be hazardous to your health...it certainly was to theirs, when force fed 1,000 times the amount a human could eat in a year!

Clean them out, burn them out, sand blast, use strippers etc.

But keep doing it, until you feel safe to assume any risks!

I still work here!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21 13 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeasel, FWIW, I used a oil drum for my UDS.

After cleaning out the heavy stuff and a good wipe down, I burned it out and wire wheeled it, then a shot of simple green and hose out. Very Happy

Be careful, even electrical tape is known to cause cancer in California. Shocked Razz Laughing
spinningwheel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22 13 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another FWIW. I use drums that contained either food grade products or petrochemical products. I like to use the ones that held some form of oil/grease either petro related or food related since they are unlined and a much easier burn. I use a weed burner or cut up pallets stuffed into it to completely burn the drum. I then take them to the self car wash and hit them with the engine cleaner, regular cleaner, soapy brush and high power rinse to make sure they are spotless inside and that as much of the outer paint - now a powder - has been blasted off. If I had access to a sand blaster it would be my next move. After it dries I then sand the outside, use an old towel soaked with denatured alcohol to wipe off the inside and outside, spray the inside with Pam or a similar product and paint the outside. After the build is complete, do your first coal burn at about 300 degrees for 3-4 hours with no food in the uds and then you are good to go with whatever you want to Q.
Onthekeg

PostPosted: Mon May 05 14 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the local University, talk to the guy running the chemistry storeroom. Get an acetone or methanol barrel. They don' need much cleaning since the chemical is volatile. I prefer that over motor oil. Also, they will give you a half dozen if you ask, they pay to dispose of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Tech-Talk All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: