FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dry brined belly question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddy'sbbq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 14 1:10 am    Post subject: Dry brined belly question Reply with quote

I have 15 lbs of belly, plan on doing a dry brine in 2lbs kosher salt 1/2 pound brown sugar 1/2 pound white sugar and 1 oz salt petre . They are on raised racks on cookie sheets should I be turning these bad boys every day? The recipe calls for 7 days. If so what would the reason be? Also said to smoke for 3 hrs @ 130
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 14 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ratios seem very high, I think the salt level will be close to unpalatable. I'd be concerned also about the saltpeter levels as the permitted amount in the U.S. is 2.75 ounces per hundred pounds ... meaning you only need 0.42 ounces for that amount of belly ... you are more than double the amount. I suggest using cure #1 instead as saltpeter requires very accurate scales and are difficult to use for a beginner. Harry here uses the ration of .75 tbsp of salt and sugar per 1lb of meat, I suggest that as a good starting point. You can always add more salt if you prefer it saltier but removing with your recipe will be difficult. I also suggest that you keep the meat in contact with the brine that develops instead of allowing it to drain clear.
buddy'sbbq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29 14 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice unfortunately they are already in fridge for several days now Sad . I'll let you know how they come out, hopefully I didn't waste that much bacon it will make me sad. lol Live and learn
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy'sbbq wrote:
Thank you for the advice unfortunately they are already in fridge for several days now Sad . I'll let you know how they come out, hopefully I didn't waste that much bacon it will make me sad. lol Live and learn

rinse the belly very well, Test fry a piece before smoking, see what the salt level is like for you.

I also expect it to be way too salty, so soaking it in fresh water that gets changed every few hours will help draw out the salt, it may take a day or two to leech out that much salt though. so keep soaking until you get a proper salt level, and remember, cooking will increase the salty taste of it by removing moisture during the cooking process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: