FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carnitas in the DO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 9:03 am    Post subject: Carnitas in the DO Reply with quote

I found a recipe of carnitas made in a DO. So, I was curious and had a go of it.

Cut up pork shoulder and onions, oranges, and spices. The recipe starts on the stovetop then moves to the oven for a couple hours.

This stuff smelled so good all mixed together.

I was able to use my campfire DO because the legs fit nicely between the cast iron grate on the stovetop.

The trash from the Fresh garlic, cilantro, onions and limes.

Making some very fresh tasting and quick salsa.

After two hours out of the oven and smelling great!

Shred the pork while the goop from the DO is thickening up.

Goop thickening up.

Mmmm very tasty...with pickled jalapenos and salsa!

And Spanish rice!

Great tasting salsa.

The meat.

Will try Denny's version next fried up on the disco! Very tasty!

--jeepdad

Carnitas

Ingredients:

3 1/2-4 pounds boneless pork butt roast (sometimes called boneless pork shoulder or boneless picnic roast)
2+ cups water (enough to cover the pork in the pot)
1 white or yellow onion, peeled and halved
4-6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 bay leaves salt and pepper
1 orange

For serving:

Small corn or flour tortillas, grated cheese, pico de gallo, mango pico de gallo, mint-pineapple pico de gallo, guacamole, sliced avocado, sliced white onion, sprigs of cilantro, fresh lime wedges, etc.

Instructions:

Place the oven rack in the lower middle position and preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

Trim the pork of excess fat and cut into 2″ chunks. Place the pork in a heavy lidded pot like a Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover the pork and then add onion, garlic, lime juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and the juice from the orange. After squeezing the juice from the orange, toss the rinds into the pork mixture and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 2 hours or until the pork falls apart when poked with a fork. When the pork is fork-tender, remove the pot from the oven.

Remove the orange rinds, onion, and bay leaves. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork from the liquid to the foil-lined baking sheet. Set aside.

Return the pot to the stovetop and bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Boil for 8-15 minutes (longer or shorter if necessary) until the liquid is thickened and glaze-y and, when stirred, the spoon leaves a trail in the liquid (you should have about 1 cup of liquid).

Use your fingers to pull apart the pork pieces, discarding any particularly fatty pieces (or removing the fat from them).

Drizzle with the cooking liquid. Turn your oven broiler on high and place the pork in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the pork starts to brown and the edges become crispy. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and use a spatula to flip the pork. Return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes, broiling until the pork is browned and crispy (but not charred, unless that’s your thing).

Serve in warmed tortillas with desired toppings. Makes about 12 servings.

Salsa Recipe
You wouldn't think canned tomatoes would produce such a yummy fresh tasting salsa but it works! And, it's a quick fix!

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can original Ro-tel tomatoes
Cilantro
Jalapeño pepper, seeded Or not
1/2 onion, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp honey
1/2 t. Salt

Blend or process all together and eat!
blue ox
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all looks great. Love fresh salsa.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wife would be all over that...nicely done my man Very Happy
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do mine similar to that, but there is lard in the cooking liquid, I stay stove top the whole time, (also in a camp oven) I cube the meat before cooking, and cook the liquid out and crisp it up all in the DO.

Yours looks great though.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue ox Love this salsa recipe it is so simple and tasty.

Thanks Maniac it was dang tasty.

ckone I think I may have used too much liquid to start with because it didn't cook down to a glaze once out of the oven and back on the stiovetop. Most of the recipes I read called for lard this one did not. If you have a recipe you're willing to part with I'd like to try this experiment again. I also want to try Denny's (Killswitch) discada recipe too.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant remember where I found my recipe, pretty sure I looked at several then created my own based on what I read, but I did not write it down since I kinda just always wing it on things.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22 13 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Dan that looks so good! I love carnitas. I have done Denny's recipe in the disco a few times and have still yet to get them as good as he did them at Kevin's house last year, but Im still trying Very Happy I will definitely have to give the DO version a go as well. My DO's have never been in an oven before though, only over coals. Im sure I can figure out my temps with coals though Cool Awesome cook brother, good to see you posting some food pics again!!
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 14 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks yummy, and probably healthier than traditional carnitas, which are cooked in oil instead of water. I love carnitas but I've never tried making them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: