FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ham/Bean soup, people think mine sucks!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 13 4:48 am    Post subject: Ham/Bean soup, people think mine sucks! Reply with quote

Hi to all.
I've meen making navy bean soup since I was a kid. I use dried navy beans (small) and use the soak all night method witch I have no problems with whatsoever! I just do it from memory since I've been doing it for so long.

However I took a container to a friend and she didn't like it much! At first I just thought well she's not feeling good so her taste buds are probably off, Ive had that hapen to me.
Then that evening my neighbor came over when I was reheating the bean soup for dinner. I gave him a bowl and after a few minutes he said, " Man you need a new bean soup recipe", that was kinda shocking. It tasted like my normal bean soup to me.

My beans are tender and I use leftover ham bone with plenty of meat! I simmer the mixture and NEVER let it do a runaway boil! The Hams I make are awesome.

Question: What is your "tried and true" recipe for Ham/Bean soup?
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 13 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No recipe here but I like to add vinegar to my beans,

Mike Lawry.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13 13 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never soak any of my beans over night and have had pretty good reviews on the finished product. Your friends are being honest and I love that as a cook. To many times we think we have a winning recipe only to find out that there are a multitude of taste buds out there that disagree at least your friends were being honest. Ask them what they would change and work from there. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14 13 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoke your ham bone raw...then add to the soup or any soup....
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14 13 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have soaked over night or do the quick method. If i do not have leftover country ham water (I freeze mine) or leftover chunks, I will get the country ham pieces at the store.

Cook low and slow to prevent burning. I mash mine with a potato masher to break up some of the beans. This changes the texture of the soup. Cook longer to make thicker.

I concur with K.A.M. your style may not be to the liking of your friends.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14 13 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get new freinds
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Changeling
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15 13 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at some recipes on line and have decided to try adding some celery, onion, carrots, and "bay leaves" to it next time. It seems all or most of the recipes call for these ingrediants in one magnitude or the other. Some, refer to other spices, like basil, Italian seasoning, etc,.
However, I am going to aproach this a little at a time.
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22 13 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a left over ham bone. Spice wise I generally just go with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Saute' some onion maybe. Depends on my mood. I've also been known to used jarred great northern beans as opposed to soaking them.
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22 13 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of mirepoix will add some nice flavour to your soup. It also adds some visual as well.. We eat with our eyes first after all..

Garlic is also good to add when you are almost done the saute on the mirepoix..

First off, I like to simmer the ham bone first off for a couple three hours so I can make a nice stock, with the bone I add chopped onion, celery, carrot, pepper corns, dried thyme and the bay leaves..

I like to simmer the beans first for a while so that way the veg is not mush by the time the soup is ready.. It does take 2 pots to do it this way but you end up with a resto grade soup..

Dang.. come to think of it, thats how I make it at the resto.. Laughing Laughing Cool
LIAR #100
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22 13 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would ever make bean soup without garlic, onions and celery. I like cumin and oregano with it too though spices are more related to your personal preference. If using smoked ham, I am careful about how much salt I add because the ham has lots of salt already in it. I usually don't add any salt. I have never made it with carrots though. I like potatoes in it sometimes.

George
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22 13 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changeling, this is the recipe that I use for Ham and Beans. I know it says Split Pea, but sub beans for peas. I also add some Ham Base to the water to increase the flavor. It's very good, give it a try.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/print.php?docid=26821

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22 13 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife, being Serbian, makes a version of this. However, she changes the water twice (which helps prevent gas) and uses some smoked ribs which I freeze and save for her, salt pork and a small slab of double smoked bacon.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/croatianserbiansoups/r/beansoup.htm

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23 13 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
My wife, being Serbian, makes a version of this. However, she changes the water twice (which helps prevent gas) and uses some smoked ribs which I freeze and save for her, salt pork and a small slab of double smoked bacon.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/croatianserbiansoups/r/beansoup.htm

Thought that was the reason for making bean soup. Embarassed

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24 13 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got enough on my own DP.... Wink

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my own recipe for bean soup. I would have provided it sooner but I didn't have it perfected yet. It took some work to get the spices right. I normally use 1/2 of a piece of sliced ham (about a 1/2 lb) from the grocery store because I can't buy ham hocks by themselves. I have always used the cold soak method of soaking the beans but I provided a quick soak method if you are in a rush. I mention adding oil to reduce foaming, but have never had a problem with foam so I don't add it. I list assorted dry beans on the ingredients. I usually mix several different types of beans and sometimes lintels to make the soup more interesting (this part is never the same). Just make the total weight of the beans 1 1/2 lbs. When I say to add the beans and the rest of the ingredients to the pot, I usually add the stock, spices and beans and set the burner to high. Then I chop the onions and celery and add them when finished chopping. The pot is usually about to start boiling when I'm done with the chopping.

Bean Soup

Yield:
about 6 servings

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds assorted dry beans
1/2 pound diced ham (or one ham hock)
2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock (Note 32 oz of broth [or 2 lbs] = 1 quart)
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped or sliced thinly
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 4 cloves garlic)
2 teaspoons of dried oregano (or 2 sprigs fresh oregano)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 bay leaves

Directions

Pick through the beans and discard any debris and soak as noted below. Wash under cold running water.

Set a large pot over high heat. Add beans and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 2 hours until beans are tender.

When cooked, remove bay leaves. Taste the soup and add salt if needed (Note that the ham and chicken broth will have salt in it before cooking so adding more salt may not be necessary).

If you want a thicker soup, use a blender to puree some of the beans and stock (about a third of the total pot).

Quick Hot Soak:

Place a Dutch oven with 4 quarts of water over high burner. Add 3 tablespoons salt and rinsed beans. Bring up to boil, then remove from burner, cover the pot, and allow to soften for 1 hour. Discard soaking water; and rinse well to remove any surface salt. Cover beans with fresh water. If you want to reduce foaming during the cooking process, add two tablespoons of oil before cooking.

Overnight Cold Soak:

Add 1 tablespoon salt to six cups of room-temperature water. Cover one pound of dry beans with water and allow to soak overnight (12 hours or more). I have found it works best to not refrigerate the beans while soaking. Discard soaking water; cover beans with fresh water. If you want to reduce foaming during the cooking process, add two tablespoons of oil before cooking.

George
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19 14 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you still want bean soup recipes but I have created a new variation of my previously posted recipe that uses different spices. Here it is:

George's Bean Soup

I always add a mix of different types of dry beans or lintels to my soup for variety. The pearled barley is optional but adding it makes a complete protein with the beans (that is, it contains all nine of the essential amino acids). I don't normally use quick cooking pearled barley but if you do, it should be added about 10 minutes before serving. I rarely ever have a ham hock so I usually buy a ham steak or small packages of ham that are usually near the lunch meat section of the grocery store. I normally buy ham that is uncooked but have also used fully cooked ham. I often dice a larger ham and freeze it in 1/2 pound packages. Yield: about 6 servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds assorted dry beans
1/4 pound pearled barley (optional)
2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock (Note 32 oz [or 2 lbs] of broth = 1 quart)
1/2 pound diced ham (or one ham hock)
1 large onion, roughly chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 teaspoons Penzey's Minced Garlic (dried pieces) (optional)

Spice Mix #1
2 teaspoons of dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 bay leaves

Spice Mix #2
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme (broken leaf)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon marjoram (broken leaf)
3/4 teaspoon chervil (broken leaf)
3/4 teaspoon celery seed (ground)
1/2 teaspoon rosemary (ground)
1/2 teaspoon savory (ground)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions

Pick through the beans and discard any debris. Wash the beans under cold running water and soak the beans and optional pearled barley in a 6 quart pot or Dutch oven as noted below. Add chicken broth to the pot and set it over high heat. Bring to a boil. While waiting for the pot to boil, chop the onion, celery, ham and add it to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients including one of the two spice mixes. After it boils, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 2 hours until beans are tender. When cooked, remove bay leaves if added. Taste the soup and add salt if needed. (Note that the ham and chicken broth will have salt in it before cooking so adding more salt may not be necessary). I usually don't need to add salt.

Quick Hot Soak:

Place a pot or Dutch oven with 6 cups of water over high burner. Add 1 tablespoon salt and rinsed beans. Bring up to boil, then remove from burner, cover the pot, and allow to soften for 1 hour. Discard soaking water; and rinse well with fresh water to remove any surface salt.

Overnight Cold Soak (preferred method):

Add 1 tablespoon salt to six cups of room-temperature water. Cover the dry beans with water and allow to soak overnight (12 hours or more). I have found it works best to not refrigerate the beans while soaking. Discard soaking water; and rinse well with fresh water to remove any surface salt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: