FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about steel thickness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joegeds

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 14 12:04 am    Post subject: Question about steel thickness Reply with quote

New guy here from a suburb of Detroit (Livonia). I will be trying my hand at a reverse flow smoker build. It will go very slow as I have a lot of projects on the burner. I have a few technical questions for the forum, so I hope you can help. The body of the smoker is a 2' diameter steel pipe that is 1/4" thick and 4.5' long. I picked up a 4' X 4' piece of steel at the scrap yard that is 3/8" thick. I cut that into 4 square pieces, each 2' X 2'. This will be my fire box. My main question is do you think those thicknesses will suffice? Also, how thick should the reverse flow pipe be? Thanks in advance!!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 14 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Question about steel thickness Reply with quote

joegeds wrote:
New guy here from a suburb of Detroit (Livonia). I will be trying my hand at a reverse flow smoker build. It will go very slow as I have a lot of projects on the burner. I have a few technical questions for the forum, so I hope you can help. The body of the smoker is a 2' diameter steel pipe that is 1/4" thick and 4.5' long. I picked up a 4' X 4' piece of steel at the scrap yard that is 3/8" thick. I cut that into 4 square pieces, each 2' X 2'. This will be my fire box. My main question is do you think those thicknesses will suffice? Also, how thick should the reverse flow pipe be? Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to The Smoke Ring Forums joegeds and Happy( Very Happy )
Ya'll bounced in here to the Tech Page 'fer answers! Cool

Knowin' what 'Yer building and the dimensions of what 'Yer using' , I believe 'Yer pretty much on the money-

But I'll defer to some of our resident pit builders who have been there and Dunnit more than once! Laughing Wink

Should have one of the Boyz along here promptly...Sit back and crack open a cold one and enjoy these Forums!

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 14 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Exclamation
IMHO you have picked up some great materials. when you say RF pipe, did you mean plate ...if so 1/4" was my choice.
Good luck on your build...will be looking for pics of your progress Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13 14 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring joegeds, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile

The 3/8" plate is fine for your firebox you just need two more pieces to complete the box.

I know you have already cut your plate but I would have gone with a smaller firebox the 24" square is about 5836 more cu. in. that needed.

For the R/F plate I agree with Maniac on the 1/4" steel.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
joegeds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Welcome to the ring joegeds, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile

The 3/8" plate is fine for your firebox you just need two more pieces to complete the box.

I know you have already cut your plate but I would have gone with a smaller firebox the 24" square is about 5836 more cu. in. that needed.

For the R/F plate I agree with Maniac on the 1/4" steel.

Well, I can still cut them smaller if it will help the functionality of the smoker. I have done some research, and it seems like the most common error people make when building these is that they make the fire box too small, so I did 2'x2' just to be sure. What size is optimal if not 2'x2'?
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 x24 x 20 will give you 118%

kam will give his input I'm sure.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14 14 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not go bigger than 20.5" square.
Anything larger starts to effect the exhaust height and draft if you are trying to follow the calculator.
At 20.5 squared you are at 8615.13 cu. in. If you follow the calculator, 1/3 of your 24" x 53" pipe is 7988.16 Cu. in.
You will be 626.97 Cu. in. over sized. In my opinion that is enough.
Will your current size work? Yes it will , in time you will learn the cooker.
Is that large a firebox needed for that chamber? No it is not.
My suggestion was based on my opinion of what will work.

Hybrid Cooker
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to cheese on the thread, but my nephew is designing and going to build me a new Offset Smoker. Now he is experienced at designing commercial fryers, cookers and ovens etc... My question is are there going to be different calculation for the sizes of the fire box, main smoke chamber etc that he should consider that are different from commercial applications?

Reborn Oyler 700
Meadowcreek TS250 w/Insulated firebox
Modified OK Joe's Highland Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigE wrote:
Sorry to cheese on the thread, but my nephew is designing and going to build me a new Offset Smoker. Now he is experienced at designing commercial fryers, cookers and ovens etc... My question is are there going to be different calculation for the sizes of the fire box, main smoke chamber etc that he should consider that are different from commercial applications?

I am not sure. Have you asked him if he uses the calculator when designing a commercial unit? If he says no then I am pretty sure if you take his design numbers and plug them into the calculator they will be different.
In my opinion it would be in his favor to follow the calculators suggestions based on your size of firebox and cooking chamber if he has never designed an offset cooker.
The calculator is based on a 1/3 rule meaning the firebox is 1/3 the Cu. in. of the cooking chamber, once these sizes are balanced it calculates intake, exhaust length of the given diameter, firebox to cooking chamber opening.
Simply put if you follow it and you build a fairly well sealed cooker it will work.

Hybrid Cooker
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he has never designed an "offset smoker." I've seen his preliminary 3D design and I can't wait to see it built, and I know and trust his skill level on commercial equipment. Just reading all the comments about cu. in. , exact firebox dimensions etc due to the fact I've always owned and used pre-made smokers, I just began wondering. On the design he has adjustable dampers, tuning plates, insulated firebox etc.. I just didn't ask him about size proportions.

Reborn Oyler 700
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigE wrote:
I know he has never designed an "offset smoker." I've seen his preliminary 3D design and I can't wait to see it built, and I know and trust his skill level on commercial equipment. Just reading all the comments about cu. in. , exact firebox dimensions etc due to the fact I've always owned and used pre-made smokers, I just began wondering. On the design he has adjustable dampers, tuning plates, insulated firebox etc.. I just didn't ask him about size proportions.

Any chance We might be able to see what the Young Feller's got planned? Wink

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
CraigE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask him if he will take a screenshot of what he's got designed so far so I can post.

Reborn Oyler 700
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15 14 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please make sure the image is less than 650 px on the longest side!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Tech-Talk All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: