FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby Backs/Back Lion Ribs???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 12 5:07 am    Post subject: Baby Backs/Back Lion Ribs??? Reply with quote

Hiya All
What is the major difference between these two rib cuts ?Looks like the bones are much thicker & meater on the Back Lion ones? I'm assuming they also, would take longer to smoke then the BB's.

Hi All Smoked Baby Backs from a supermarket last weekend, had good taste and texture..This week I smoked Hormel Back Lion Ribs, from Target, they weren't as good..More meat but alot of grease,even tasted greasy. Still ate then but wasn't to happy about them.

NO more Back Lion Ribs for me..It's a shame cause the Back Lions were much cheaper..

Last weekend I didn't taste the Rib rub..This weekend I over rubbed the ribs and put more rub on just before smoking..Still couldn't really taste the rub.Am I suppose to tatste the Rib Rub, or does the smoking take the taste away from the rub? I used Hickory,only 1 and 1/2 chunks.

3-1-1 method

Thanks DanB
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 12 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hormel ribs are often enhanced with a brine solution, 8 or 12%, they never taste as good as the un-enhanced ribs.

From memory they call them "natural" or always tender or some such!

Check your packaging if you still have it to hand!

I still work here!
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 12 7:00 am    Post subject: Brine solution Reply with quote

Yes. I was aware of the brine solution in the Hormel Ribs.
I'm more concerned about the difference between BB's and the Back Lion ribs.
Might try regular spares next time.
Thanks Dan
Jedimatt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 12 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby backs and back loin are two terms for the same cut of meat. Generally, the only types of pork ribs you will find are spare ribs and loin back (baby back) ribs.
DanB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10 12 4:09 am    Post subject: St Louis Ribs Reply with quote

Hi All This weekend I tried St. Louis Ribs with apple/hickory wood.
Did taste pretty good but way to much fat and grease for my tasting.
Back to Baby Backs/Back Loin, or maybe full spares and trim them myself.
Thanks Dan
Thisfool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23 12 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: St Louis Ribs Reply with quote

DanB wrote:
Hi All This weekend I tried St. Louis Ribs with apple/hickory wood.
Did taste pretty good but way to much fat and grease for my tasting.
Back to Baby Backs/Back Loin, or maybe full spares and trim them myself.
Thanks Dan

in my opinion the higher fat content is what makes spare ribs taste better, more tender and easier to cook with out fear of drying them out.

and you can always trim off any extra fat to help cut down on that
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23 12 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of Baby Back Ribs and Loin Back Ribs. They are the same cut of meat essentially although baby backs should be smaller and weigh less than 1-3/4 lbs. Loin backs usually weigh 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 lbs. Both come from the section of the pig that are on the back of the pig next to the loin and above the Spare Ribs.

I prefer back ribs because they have less fat than spare ribs.

George
SmokinBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same issue (greasy ribs) as well as ribs that were falling off the bone too much (although some people don't think that could be a problem). I watched a show where at the end of a normal smoke (5-6 hrs) the guy was taking his ribs out, brushing them with sauce, and grilling them for about 10-15 mins over medium high heat. So, I tried that and found that the higher heat from the grilling burns up a lot of the excess fat and brings the meat back from the "one bite pulls all the meat off the bone" issue to "one bite being plenty tender and only taking off one mouth full at a time."
famous david

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05 14 11:47 pm    Post subject: hormel ribs Reply with quote

I bought a couple of those Hormel loin back ribs yesterday. Planned to smoke them today,, rinsed them , soaked them, changing the water 4 times, left them covered with water all nite. This morning it 6 degrees, north wind 15 to20 mph, probly going to drain the water off, bag them, try to smoke them in a couple of days.
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11 14 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: hormel ribs Reply with quote

famous david wrote:
I bought a couple of those Hormel loin back ribs yesterday. Planned to smoke them today,, rinsed them , soaked them, changing the water 4 times, left them covered with water all nite. This morning it 6 degrees, north wind 15 to20 mph, probly going to drain the water off, bag them, try to smoke them in a couple of days.

What is the purpose of soaking them in water?
famous david

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12 14 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get some of the stuff they put in the package out of the meat,, so I can put some of my own stuff in or on it
Pkerchef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29 14 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What temp are you cooking the ribs at to get the "greasy" taste or appearance ? Pkerchef
8.5 x 18 Haulmark concession/ competition trailer
ShyTownSmoker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 14 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best bang for your buck is buying the whole spare ribs and then trimming them yourself. First I've seen the whole spare ribs cheaper than both the St. Louis and Baby Back styles. All you have to do is doing a little trimming, which you can find plenty of tutorials on youtube, plus you get a lot of free pork meat that you can put in some beans or whatever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: