FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacemaker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07 14 12:20 am    Post subject: Pacemaker Reply with quote

Does anyone weld that has a pacemaker? I just got one--the nurse said I shouldn't use one but she didn't even know what a welder was. Some instructions say it is ok if 2 ft. away but don't say if that is the welder or the leads.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07 14 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bypass the nurse and consult your doctor. He knows what he put in you, he also knows your situation and he probably has had this conversation before. For every pro there is a con if you search this on the Web.
Be Safe. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07 14 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. doesn't really know what a welder is either---and just wants to cover hiss ass, so not much help.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07 14 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c crane wrote:
Dr. doesn't really know what a welder is either---and just wants to cover hiss ass, so not much help.

Do you blame him? He could say go out there and gitter done. Then when you get dead some lawyer cleans his clock.
The only issues I have ever read about were when using high frequency like Tig work. But if my doc said better safe than sorry I would take up a new hobby in a heart beat. Get it? " In a heart beat " Laughing
Get the doctor to consult with one that knows.
Hear is a link to Lincolns safety Q&A's Just scroll down to the pacemakers.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-safety/pages/misc-welding-safety.aspx

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07 14 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously!?!? Is the doctor who doesn't know about voltage and a pace maker your heart doctor? He sounds more like a proctologist to me.

Why would you chance this? This makes about as much sense as knowing that galvanized gives off poison at a certain temp but you go ahead and cook on a cooker built out of it and feed a group of 100 because you don't think it will happen to you.

No matter how much you love a hobby, there isn't one worth chancing your life. There is a lot of info on the web about this, research, research and then research some more and then get in touch with a real doctor. 2nd chances probably not a choice here if the 1st one goes south.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21 14 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with O/A. Kinda a beyotche but the hey?
AndrewT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21 14 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a pacemaker for 14 years (well, two pacemakers - wore the first one out) and weld without issues. I was told when mine was installed in 1996 that ham radio and arc welding could affect it, but that it would only fail to "on"; I'd feel it, but it would not be damaged. Your mileage may DEFINITELY vary; I'd contact the manufacturer of your pacemaker.

Best of luck!
Daddeo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08 14 12:45 am    Post subject: Pacemaker Reply with quote

I have a pacemaker/defibrulator. I was told that I should use a 115 volt machine rather than a 210, and be careful. At first, I swithed to O/A to be safe and really enjoyed that. O/A is certainly more of a challenge; its more artistic and you certainly get a better feel for the "puddle". I wound up buying a Hobart 140 Handler because its much faster and I'm just a hobby welder, usually welding 1/8th or less. I think the O/A experience definately improved my welding skills and I've never had a problem with my hardware (defibrulator). The literature I read never cited an incident, but the possibility of an inciedent and always with the higher voltage machines. You should get a DR opinion, though. Use good gloves and don't cut corners on lay out.
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first checkup on my new pm last week--dr said that it would be ok to weld that the warnings were more for defibulaters. By the way after "going down" 4 times in the last 2 1/2 years and they finally figured out why, I feel better than I have in several years
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 14 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear all is well Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: