FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fire_fiter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 14 7:59 am    Post subject: Newbie needs help! Reply with quote

Hi...new to the welding forum but have been under the cookers forum for a while. so my dilemma? I have decided to invest in plasma cutter and mig welder (a complete novice at both) to help with my smoker build. After some research, I found this tig/mma/puls/plasma cutter combo. first help I need is understanding what the puls refers to and secondly, do I still need a mig welder with this unit? from what I can see with my limited knowledge, mig seems to be somewhat easier. I welcome any advice from the professionals here. Thanks

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 14 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire_fiter, that is not a mig. it is a Tig, plasma, and stick.
I would look elsewhere.
Thermo Dynamics for the Plasma and Miller / Hobart for the Mig.

Hybrid Cooker
fire_fiter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 14 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx KAM.... i was thinkin of this along w/ a MIG....really wondering if buyin a MIG is worth it...have been learning stick welding as i do my build (not pretty but functional)...wonder if i should just forgo a MIG and just invest in a good combo unit that is capable of stick welding (using my brother's wleder right now)
fire_fiter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30 14 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked at the thermodynamics...very impressive but very much out of my reach...just doin small projects...my budget can probably stand $ 500....anything decent out there for that price range???
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31 14 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your just going to be do smaller household type projects with the biggest probably being your cooker build, I think your overdoing it a lot with a machine that does all that. Decide if you want to stick or MIG and then go from there with a purchase. IMO, MIG is easier to pick up for the beginner and if you plan on doing any projects where the material is thinner, MIG is much more forgiving that stick on the learning curve you'll have...again my opinion.

As for a plasma cutter...Thermal Dynamics, Hypertherm & Miller are your top 3, in that order IMO, but they are pricey. Its hard for a small hobby welder to justify the $$ unless you just have it. What I always stress when buying a welder or a plasma cutter, make sure you can get the consumables easily and fairly cheap. You can buy a cheap machine and the cost of a tip or cone will break the bank, or be extremely hard to locate them. Always ask about the consumables before a purchase. I have a good friend who bought a Miller plasma cutter, best they make, and it is nice, but for a tip and nozzle for it, he's paying almost $30 a pair, where with my Thermal Dynamics, I'm paying $12-$13 for the pair. Cant stress enough to research not only the machines, but the consumables.

My thought for you would be to (1) keep an eye out on Craigslist or eBay for a good used machine or (2) start off with a small O/A torch set and save some $$ for a nicer plasma at a later time.

JM2CW
fire_fiter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31 14 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks trailerbuilder.....the more i research the more i feel dat my investment may need to be geared towards a decent MIG.....i do worry about doing the more precise cuts w/ an O/A but I guess practice will go a long way....you guys on here are great! appreciate the help.
DunnSmoke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31 14 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Eastwood Combo

http://www.eastwood.com/versa-cut-60-and-mig175-combo-kit.html

I am a novice myself and I have been looking at this combo.
60 amp plasma and a 175 mig that includes the spool gun.
It offers room for growth.
fire_fiter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31 14 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the info Dunnsmoke......nice looking unit.....the MIG is in my budget....think i am going to trust my ability to learn to cut the smaller holes w/ a torch and just purchase a MIG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: