FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hobart stickmate 300

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prowelder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 14 11:21 am    Post subject: hobart stickmate 300 Reply with quote

Anyone have the new stickmate 300 and is the price difference worth the added amps?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 14 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost went with the Miller 300 instead of the 225 AC/DC for my home shop. But then I thought about not doing a lot of heavy production plate anymore so I went with the 225 AC/DC.
I can and have burned 1/8" 7018's all day with no issues so for me the saved money has far out weighed the extra Amps.
I do not think Miller even offers it anymore in Blue.

Hybrid Cooker
prowelder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 14 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No miller does not and hobart just came out with this last yr i believe. I have a mig and an ac buzzbox but would like to experience stick on dc. I am a welder full time but never get a chance to run stick, just mig and tig.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 14 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love welding stick it is my preferred process. In a shop setting with wire feeds so readily available I would think a 225 AC/DC would be all that is needed for those jobs such as repair work where the metal would more than likely be dirty or rusty.
Miller owns Hobart so I am not sure why they dropped the blue 300 and decided to offer it on the Hobart side.
I guess it will depend on what your shop needs are, when I fabricated oilfield trucks my go to machine was a Lincoln 250 some of the decks on the tandems were 1/2" plate so to get into the 5/32" rods I needed the Amps. At home building trailers and cookers the 225 AC/DC is all I need. My machine has never been ran on the AC side I love DC.

Hybrid Cooker
prowelder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05 14 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to be as well rounded and proficient in all processes as I can be. I have read you(kam) say you love DC and AC doesn't compare and that just adds to my drive to learn the process. I got turned down for a part time job because I was honest and told him I didnt know stick, the guy pays really well and more work would've come from it but I lost out for now. We are moving by the end of the month and it looks like most of my welding would be better suited to stick since I wont have a shop to work in there.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05 14 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being proficient in stick is a definite plus in most fabrication jobs. While you see more and more shops going to the wire feeds you rarely if ever see a job site with a wire feed it is almost always stick in the field.

Hybrid Cooker
prowelder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05 14 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not alot of "job site" work around here, most all welding is done in shops. Occasionally a new power plant (lately) will get built and obviously that is built on site but not like Texas with oilfields and such that requires welding in the field....or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05 14 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got depressed when they spec'd one of my jobs with push together steam mains underground. you only welded when it entered the buildings Sad My welders lost a lot of work...tough work lying on you back in a ditch...but work none the less.
prowelder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05 14 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the new way of the world for ya Maniac. Cheaper and faster has taken the place of quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: