FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a good Hot Cajun Sausage recipe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenneman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30 14 3:22 pm    Post subject: Need a good Hot Cajun Sausage recipe. Reply with quote

When I goto New Orleans, one of the fav Po Boys is the Hot Sausage Po Boy. I'm looking for something close to that if anybody has any recipes. I have a great Andouille recipe already so I don't need that. I just made a recipe from a pretty reputable cajun website and it tasted like s--t! If anybody has something they've tested for themselves and wanna share it would be much appreciated!
Darwin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04 14 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Orleans and Cajun do not always go together. When I lived there the variety of sausage was vast. Traditional Cajun smoked sausage is a rustic spicy beef/pork or mixed, course ground and heavily smoked. In New Orleans it could be anything from traditional smoked, Chaurice, green onion to a spicy Italian.
Tell us about the one you liked and where it came from if you remember, or tweak the one you have towards what you are referring to.
hope that helps a wee bit.

Life is too short to eat wampum biscuits and drink cheap beer.
suckaass
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05 14 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a recipe for Chaurice that I really like.

It has great flavor and a good amount of heat. Course you could always add more spice. Very Happy

Chaurice

3lb. pork butt
1 onion, coarsely chopped
3 Tb. pure New Mexico chile powder
4 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground bay leaf (use a blender or spice mill)
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 C. finely chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley

Blanch onions in 2 quarts of boiling water for 2 min. Strain and cool under running water.

Combine meat, onions, and the rest of the ingredients(except parsley) in a large bowl. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 min. or up to 4 hours.

Grind through 1/4" plate. Add parsley and mix well.
Stuff into 32-35mm casings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: