FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quick question about honey bacon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08 14 7:11 am    Post subject: quick question about honey bacon Reply with quote

so I wasn't thinking when I got my 12lb belly the other day. I totally forgot I planned to roll it once it had cure and honey on it. Anyways, I cut it into 3 pieces, all of them right around 4 lbs give or take a few oz's. instead of rolling the small pieces and fighting them the whole way, I opted for 2gal Ziploc bags.

My question is, since they are not rolled and the juice/extra honey seems to be pooling around the meat and not under or on top, should I flip the bags every other day or so to make sure I get a good even coating???? Its no hassle really, I just have them stacked in the fridge right now because the MRS is out of town for the next week.

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08 14 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way should be fine, just don't dump the juice until you're ready to smoke.

I do my honey & maple bellies flat, fat down, honey poured on the meat for good penetration.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09 14 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Either way should be fine, just don't dump the juice until you're ready to smoke.

I do my honey & maple bellies flat, fat down, honey poured on the meat for good penetration.

Thank you Mr. Bacon, I mean Harry. HAHA I figured I could get by either way. I'll just flip and rotate them in the stack. you sure weren't joking about the mess that honey makes either. GOOD HEAVENS!!! Glad nobody was around to hear that string of 4 letter words.

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10 14 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mr Bacon"?

Well, I do make a pile of it every month. I even got to have some of my Honey-Cured bacon last week, I brought a pound home for myself

My biggest seller is still maple bacon, then traditional in 2nd place, then garlic, Honey, & peppered are all about even, but honey is catching up since I ran out of maple early, and people tried the honey and they are going mental over that now.

Prices are sliding down on bellies a little finally. But I still do not understand why pig ears cost me $3.89/LB when I can get #1 grade boneless back loins for $1.89/LB
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10 14 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
"Mr Bacon"?

Well, I do make a pile of it every month. I even got to have some of my Honey-Cured bacon last week, I brought a pound home for myself

My biggest seller is still maple bacon, then traditional in 2nd place, then garlic, Honey, & peppered are all about even, but honey is catching up since I ran out of maple early, and people tried the honey and they are going mental over that now.

Prices are sliding down on bellies a little finally. But I still do not understand why pig ears cost me $3.89/LB when I can get #1 grade boneless back loins for $1.89/LB

I really enjoy the maple too. When u buy store bought stuff it just tastes like someone poured fake maple syrup all over it and it sometimes is nearly unpleasant. Ur recipe has just the right hint of maple for me.

Garlic huh???? If u would be willing, I'd love to try a batch based on ur recipe. Same with the pepper. I will be a bacon makin fool as long as these bellies stay where they are right around $3/lb. Prices have steadily gone down and quality has gone up. They are actually shipped in from canada someplace. Plus I've found a pound or half pound of bacon goes a long way when u need a favor.

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11 14 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:
"Mr Bacon"?

I really enjoy the maple too. When u buy store bought stuff it just tastes like someone poured fake maple syrup all over it and it sometimes is nearly unpleasant. Ur recipe has just the right hint of maple for me.

Garlic huh???? If u would be willing, I'd love to try a batch based on ur recipe. Same with the pepper. I will be a bacon makin fool as long as these bellies stay where they are right around $3/lb. Prices have steadily gone down and quality has gone up. They are actually shipped in from canada someplace. Plus I've found a pound or half pound of bacon goes a long way when u need a favor.

You must be seeing the "Agrimex" brand if they are coming from Canada, I love their bellies too. they are squared up and fit in my pans perfectly. Very high yielding too, due to not needing to trim them

Up until 4 years ago, belly hovered around $1.00/LB, it is insanely priced right now at $3.00/LB

Get this, Pig Ears are $3.98/LB right now
I can get grade-1 boneless back loin for $1.89/LB so I ask WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12 14 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that's nuts!! It's been yrs since I've seen pigs ears or feet. Been longer since I have eaten either. My polish grandfather used to indulge in both from time to time. Might have landed a lead on butts for 50 cents/lb though.

Hey, do you have any idea what an "Asian belly" is?

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13 14 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:

Hey, do you have any idea what an "Asian belly" is?

I have heard the term, And if I remember correctly, it is an American Belly that exported to Asia, I also think I remember it being real expensive too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: