FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miller plasma vs Hypertherm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05 13 10:44 pm    Post subject: Miller plasma vs Hypertherm Reply with quote

Hey folks, yeah, I know there are quite a few threads on plasma cutters and I have read quite a few but wanted to take this in several directions. First off, I have been a true believer in the blue machines but my recent creation of a Miller 375 boat anchor due to a fried circuit board has got me grasping at straws as to what I need to replace it. Actually, it may as well be a boatless boat anchor as owning a boat is not necessarily a requirement to justifying tossing this to the bottom of a lake. Evil or Very Mad Replacing the circuit board is 95% of a new machine so that option was out. First off, the short in the board came from my shop and myself due to grinding dust. My bad, I think. I was blowing the unit out periodically thru the vents, seemed like the correct thing to do tho I could find no info on doing this. I was told by the repair shop that a dismantling of the cover every 90 or so is more appropriate. As the machine does not have a quick release assembly set up, is this something others are doing? Being pretty much catastrophic to my budget, I cannot afford for this to happen again. Anyone else fry a circuit board or heard of it, be it this machine or other brands? Any tips on premium care from any of ya'll frequent users? On to my second thought... referring to the title of this thread, since I am shopping, any input into the longevity of these two brands? No ill feelings here toward the blue machines, just ill feelings in my gut to having to pony up for a new cutter and I need to get my next purchase correct. Any idea on size for a hypertherm? My 375 seems to run middle of the road when compared to the powermax 30 and 45. On to consumables... yeah, I could call around and have for comparison prices but due to several of my LWS places not even being on the same page price wise depending on what I am purchasing I.E Argon for the mig, mig tips, stick welding rods, etc, I figured it would be worth it to pose that question here. Being a budget shop aka working on a shoestring budget, I just need and would like all aspects of my new purchase covered as much as possible by my Ring brothers as we use these daily rather than some salesman. Any and all comment very much appreciated. Special note to a hard core O/A user here on the Ring, I have never ran out of plasma on a weekend after the LWS was closed. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Thanks in advance folks.
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the board repaired by a 3rd party a lot cheaper than buying new.
Smoke Hollow #5
Lang 48 D
Acorn Komado
And a couple of Weber kettles
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animal wrote:
You can get the board repaired by a 3rd party a lot cheaper than buying new.

Thanks Animal! I was using my LWS third party, $1070 for the board, 90 days on parts / service but only on the fix. New is about $100 more, 5/3/1 warranty, seemed like a no brainer as far as sticking with the same machine. Might be some cheaper third parties but at $80 for each to give me a quote only to turn them down when still not cost effective, I would be deeper in the hole than currently. Think I have to bite the bullet on new, just making sure new is the correct new.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Miller plasma vs Hypertherm Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Special note to a hard core O/A user here on the Ring, I have never ran out of plasma on a weekend after the LWS was closed. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Thanks in advance folks.

If you would plan ahead for the weekend projects running out of O/A is a Mute subject. Yoda has spoken. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Miller plasma vs Hypertherm Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
Special note to a hard core O/A user here on the Ring, I have never ran out of plasma on a weekend after the LWS was closed. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Thanks in advance folks.

If you would plan ahead for the weekend projects running out of O/A is a Mute subject. Yoda has spoken. Wink

I have spoken to our resident PITA Murphy and he has agreed Vidor seems like a good place this time of year, he has your address and a clean pair of Choneys Wink Say hi and Adios for me will ya? Laughing
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. will do my Brother. Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06 13 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, glad ya'll got a hold of Mr. Murphy, he's been riding my a$$ for about 2 weeks, TX seems like a better place for him.(sorry Kevin).

On the plasma's, you could buy one of each and send me the one you don't like, I'll cover the shipping. Wink Rolling Eyes

Good luck with it. Very Happy
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Wreckless, glad ya'll got a hold of Mr. Murphy, he's been riding my a$$ for about 2 weeks, TX seems like a better place for him.(sorry Kevin).

On the plasma's, you could buy one of each and send me the one you don't like, I'll cover the shipping. Wink Rolling Eyes

Good luck with it. Very Happy

We'll see how that getting rid of Murphy thing works out GF, no worries Kevin, I gave him a fake address for your casa and I believe he has cloned himself many times over anyways. George, on the cutters, I take your comment to mean either one will work fine. Kind of what I have been hearing ( other than the old school fellow anyway), sort of like the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, Toyota, etc., it's all the same. Big name brands can ill afford to produce crap these days. I'll see what this post further produces but I have a feeling that access to and price of consumables may be the biggest deciding factor.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07 13 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless, I have very little knowledge on plasma's. I called a fitter buddy of mine and asked him, he said it wouldn't matter as long as he could get consumables localy and didn't have to order everything. Rolling Eyes

BTW, Murphy hasn't left Ct. yet. Evil or Very Mad
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08 13 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 I think the "Cutmaster" was named after me and I love the machine. I do a skirt off cleaning on it maybe once a year, also on my Blue 250, I think Ill bump that up to twice a year now Shocked I love my plasma, it has been a great machine for everything I do with it. I have used a Miller 375 and it seemed to cut well for me. My buddy has a Hypertherm 30 and I have cut with it also, it doesn't seem to have the balls my Thermal Dynamics does IMO. My bud says he has used a 45 and wished he would have stepped up with the $$ and went that instead of a 30. He does cut a lot of 1/4" and 3/8" plate. Consumables for the 3 plasmas are fairly close in price range...all expensive. I found a seller on eBay that I buy the same tips in the same bags I get here from my supplier, but at almost 1/2 the price and with free shipping. There are always places to find the consumables cheaper online, but just keep in mind to keep extra on hand so you don't run out and have to buy the high priced ones at your supplier on Friday afternoon. Personally, I think whatever route you take, you will get a good machine. All 3 are good names and good products, Id look for the best deal and then weigh out the options

JM2CW

FWIW, if you do buy 2 and just keep 1, I think I should get dibs on it over George Surprised I mean we have been through so much together...Camp Vidor...Twin Pits...yada yada yada Razz Wink Laughing Laughing
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09 13 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, if what you mean by "been through so much together" means you watched a brother burry his truck and then watched Kevin come-along it out, your right. Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing

Now that you've thrown Thermal Dynamics into the mix, there could be two rejects. Wink Very Happy

Sorry for gettin off track on this. Embarassed
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10 13 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
I have a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 I think the "Cutmaster" was named after me and I love the machine. I do a skirt off cleaning on it maybe once a year, also on my Blue 250, I think Ill bump that up to twice a year now Shocked I love my plasma, it has been a great machine for everything I do with it. I have used a Miller 375 and it seemed to cut well for me. My buddy has a Hypertherm 30 and I have cut with it also, it doesn't seem to have the balls my Thermal Dynamics does IMO. My bud says he has used a 45 and wished he would have stepped up with the $$ and went that instead of a 30. He does cut a lot of 1/4" and 3/8" plate. Consumables for the 3 plasmas are fairly close in price range...all expensive. I found a seller on eBay that I buy the same tips in the same bags I get here from my supplier, but at almost 1/2 the price and with free shipping. There are always places to find the consumables cheaper online, but just keep in mind to keep extra on hand so you don't run out and have to buy the high priced ones at your supplier on Friday afternoon. Personally, I think whatever route you take, you will get a good machine. All 3 are good names and good products, Id look for the best deal and then weigh out the options

JM2CW

Thanks for the info bro, I'm thinking as of now to just replace it with the same rig, the newer model comes with a upgrade torch so just maybe I can will be able to keep up with Mr. Cutmaster himself . Rolling Eyes Laughing The consumables are readily available tho i will have to check out the online prices, good advice there. TrailerBuilder, Cutmaster? Add any more aliases to your resume and I may be inclined to think you might be capable of some devious BS from time to time. Oh, wait... Shocked, nevermind... FWIW, I did mean to include the Thermal Dynamics brand in this thread. I am currently borrowing my bud Jimbo's Cutmaster 102. Yumpin Yimminy Jehosaphat, that bad boy rips thru 1/4" plate like butter, I'm guessing like 10' a minute? No idea since my single stage 80 gal compressor is the weak link in that combo
TrailerBuilder wrote:

FWIW, if you do buy 2 and just keep 1, I think I should get dibs on it over George Surprised I mean we have been through so much together...Camp Vidor...Twin Pits...yada yada yada Razz Wink Laughing Laughing

Dude, yup, we have been thru some good times together and in light of you pointing this out I feel obligated to offer you first dibs on this certified machine. I think the tag attached says that all knobs, bolts, etc are in fine working order, just disregard the other info on the tag as it prolly irrevelant info. Wink Laughing

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10 13 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Troy, if what you mean by "been through so much together" means you watched a brother burry his truck and then watched Kevin come-along it out, your right. Razz Rolling Eyes Laughing

Now that you've thrown Thermal Dynamics into the mix, there could be two rejects. Wink Very Happy

Sorry for gettin off track on this. Embarassed

George, just be clear, Troy and crew had our backs the whole time on the truck stuck adventure, offering up several times the encouraging words to Kevin and I " We're right behind you on this, keep up the good work!" Hell, they couldn't have been more than 30' behind us the entire time. Wink No apologies needed for getting off track on one of my threads my friend, most of my threads go downhill shortly after my first post, kinda used to it. Cool
bigmike782

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12 13 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypertherm Powermax 45.
I am a died in the wool Miller guy but when it comes to plasma Hypertherm leads the way.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12 13 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a hyper at our shop at least 15 years beat the crap out of her . Besides consumables we put a new torch on her when one of the wires inside shorted...would buy another one when she dies Very Happy
Bgcoop8784

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak of the hypertherms, but I like the miller spectrums. We had a miller spectrum 1251 that ran great for 5 or 6 years until the board fried also, but It's mounted on a CNC plasma cutter table and it runs 20-30 hours a week and a lot of it is non stop other than loading unloading the table. We replaced it with a spectrum 875 last year and haven't had a problem out of it yet.
Dustin4185

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19 13 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMOP, I would go with Hypertherm. I have had both in an industrial setting (fab shop) and the Hypertherms seems to hold up longer. We have a LWS that sells and services both. We keep them covered when not in use and try to keep them as far away from the work as possible. I know it is a pain to pull leads/roll up leads, but it is worth it.
pitbullinc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08 14 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hypertherm that has held up great. I talked with all our fabricators at work to find their opinion. The thermal dynamics and hypertherm were the 2 favorites. part of their logic was they are both companies that only focus on plasma cutters. They mentioned the miller machines had some components made by hypertherm. I think it was the torches.
morkdach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02 14 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with Hypertherm over any other brand.
I am a service tech for all the name brands and know what makes them tick.
I would go BLUE on welders but the Powermax leads the way in plasmas.A new 30 will be avail soon if you need 120/240 volt input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: