FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need robocop arm or plier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
htrisna
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 1:35 am    Post subject: Need robocop arm or plier Reply with quote

Can anyone point me where to purchase a big tong or plier that can grip a split log so my hand won't have to get near the blade on my Miter saw?

I buy a quarter cord or splits at a time for my stickburner, I like to make my own chunks out of splits for my grill.

The only thing is, making chunks gets my left hand dangerously close to the blade.

I'd like to have something like a big steel tong to grip the log and guiding it to the blade.

Something like what a blacksmith uses to grip a piece of steel when forging.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htrisna, about 11 years ago I had the emergency room and an orthopedic surgeon put the first joint of my left index finger back together.
The cause of this was a piece of Hickory I was cutting into chunks, the blade dug into the log and rolled my hand into the fence on my Makita chop saw. Lesson learned I bought a Craftsman chop saw with a clamp down vise this worked quite well till the day the blade dug into a log stopped the saw so abruptly it actually shattered the pivot arm.
What I am trying to say is a chop saw with its RPM speed is not designed to cut grainy logs into chunks. A pair of pliers or tongs is not a safe approach in my opinion.
I use my 10" table saw with the push arm, if a piece gets hung it simply stops the saw.

Hybrid Cooker
htrisna
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that K.A.M. , scary thought indeed.
mopar440_6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16 14 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree with KAM. I've known two people that have lost part of a digit due to cutting a piece of wood with the wrong saw. My grandfather lost part of his thumb because the tablesaw grabbed the piece and pulled him in and a close friend almost lost 3 fingers to a radial arm saw.

For cutting chunks from a log/split I would prefer either a bandsaw of some sort or just use my chainsaw to cut the log to length then split the shortened piece.
SeanC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16 14 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how big of chunks you want, but sometimes ill use a sawzall to take a couple inches off of the longer splits to fit my cooker, or I'll break down a few into couple-inch chunks. Might not be the most effcient method for mass producing chunks but my hands are clear of the blade, and it gives me something to do outside when cooking. I've had a few close calls with the miter saw as well. Stopped that method pretty quick...
htrisna
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17 14 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use to hold down the splits while using your sawzall?

SeanC wrote:
Not sure how big of chunks you want, but sometimes ill use a sawzall to take a couple inches off of the longer splits to fit my cooker, or I'll break down a few into couple-inch chunks. Might not be the most effcient method for mass producing chunks but my hands are clear of the blade, and it gives me something to do outside when cooking. I've had a few close calls with the miter saw as well. Stopped that method pretty quick...

garyeng
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23 14 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What woodworkers use when they are prepping logs to go in the lathe is a band saw. That would also be my choice in your case as it is allot more controlled than a miter saw or a table saw would be. I know Kevin uses the table saw but the likely hood of my table saw stopping if it gets in a bind is not guaranteed as I have a full cabinet saw.

Be safe!
Gary
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, the table saw I use to cut splits is an old Craftsman belt driven saw. I have the belt loose enough so that if I force a piece the belt slips and the blade stops.
I should have been more clear on what I use.

htrisna, you can use a bench mounted vice to hold your pieces if you use a sawzall.

Hybrid Cooker
htrisna
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all,
A couple of things:

I saw that harbor freight has a 36" angled pler that will work for my robocop arm, other than that, I just bought a 7" dewalt angle grinder. Can I use that too instead of a sawzall since I already have it?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to grind the wood in two? I believe you will catch fire before the wheel gets it cut in two.
The 36" pliers are just another piece of shrapnel flying around when things go south in my opinion.

Hybrid Cooker
htrisna
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm ... good point ... Sparks and sharpnells ... they do lessen life expectancy Smile

k.a.m. wrote:
Are you going to grind the wood in two? I believe you will catch fire before the wheel gets it cut in two.
The 36" pliers are just another piece of shrapnel flying around when things go south in my opinion.

capitalism
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
use my chainsaw to cut the log to length then split the shortened piece (with a hatchet.)

This is what I do as well with some steel toed boots. Worst case is the log kicks out to the side.

and seriously... i get to use the chainsaw...

Cheers,
Cap
garyeng
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - Understood my friend and I was just saying that I would not do it with my saw. Then again, I have a 17" bandsaw. Smile

htrisna - My advise is if Harbor Freight sells it, leave it at the store. I just do not like tools from that place at all. Half the stuff from that place looks fine in the store but in use, they just piss me off. Evil or Very Mad LOL I would also not use a grinder as that is not what the wheels are for.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24 14 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also please do not even consider mounting a saw blade to your angle grinder, the high rpm's & lack of lateral control makes that a deadly combo. My go to setup is a low (15") sawhorse made with a V top, & a couple saw dogs to hold logs or splits in place. Quick ,easy, & safe with a chainsaw, buck, or sawsall...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: