FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinion Needed ~ Do any of you use a electric meat Slicer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nascarfantom99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14 14 1:01 pm    Post subject: Opinion Needed ~ Do any of you use a electric meat Slicer Reply with quote

One of the items I plan to have is Tri Tip Sandwiches. I was thinking about buying a meat slicer. I know when you look at videos etc you don't see anyone using a meat slicer. Everyone slices the meat by hand.

I know of one food vendor at a street fair that sliced his tri tip with a meat slicer. I found a nice unit but Im on the fence because most don't use one. Is it a bad thing using a meat slicer. Im just thinking about having to slice all day.

Whats your opinion
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love one for many applications, but space is far too tight to justify one in my trailer! Its also quite a bit easier and uses less water to clean a knife - both huge in my day to day operations!YMMV
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how thin you want it. We cut our brisket by hand for the restaurant, but if we get 20 pounds for a catering I will use the slicer and then while I'm at it I will pre-cut what we will use for the restaurant. I cook my briskets the day before and reheat in au jus. We started this practice in the beginning when we might only sell one brisket if we were lucky but could sell 2 or 3. It helps manage inventory and keeps a consistent product. Better than slicing it thin like Oklahoma Joe's, I'm sure on a slicer, for example. I have been doing Tri Tip as well and I am pre-cutting thin for french dip style sandwiches which we heat by dipping to order. I leave the fat on and it mostly dissolves or marries into the meat making it moist and delicious. I use my slicer very rarely unless we are doing Tri Tip. Too much mess to clean up. If you are slicing it thicker I would do it by hand as we do with brisket for festivals.
Nascarfantom99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I use a electric slicer it will be fore tritip. Also when I say meat slicer Im talking about one you put your meat in and it has a round blade that cuts the meat to the slice you want. Its $1500 for a nice one.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hobart 1712 slicer that we use daily, but I prefer using a knife to slice tri-tip.

Keeping a slicer clean and sanitary is very important,
The only way I see slicing tri-tip on a slicer is if you are prepping way ahead of time with plans to reheat.
Slicing hot meat on a slicer is no fun at all,.
Especially with tri-tip and the changing grain of it,
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 6:34 am    Post subject: Electric knife Reply with quote

We still slice by hand, but I have seen several places using electric knives. That might be a good compromise between speed of a slicer and easy cleaning of a knife.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
sunrise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 12:02 pm    Post subject: Slicer Reply with quote

Sure glad to see this question here. I sell tri tip sandwich's every week at a farmers market we do. I also had a fund-raiser for a local high school that was for 300 tri tip sandwich's. It took 50 tri tips, all of which we sliced by hand. I swore that the next time I would have a slicer, and I have been looking, but they are not cheap, even used. After reading the answers here, and considering the clean up with an electric slicer, I am going to stick with my knife, pretty easy to clean & sharpen, I do slice very thin with the knife I use.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Slicer Reply with quote

sunrise wrote:
Sure glad to see this question here. I sell tri tip sandwich's every week at a farmers market we do. I also had a fund-raiser for a local high school that was for 300 tri tip sandwich's. It took 50 tri tips, all of which we sliced by hand. I swore that the next time I would have a slicer, and I have been looking, but they are not cheap, even used. After reading the answers here, and considering the clean up with an electric slicer, I am going to stick with my knife, pretty easy to clean & sharpen, I do slice very thin with the knife I use.

For 50 sandwiches I'd be using a slicer if I could. You could buy a small Berkel for that kind of volume and size of meat.
Still hate cleaning the slicer though.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15 14 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Slicer Reply with quote

sunrise wrote:

Are you just smoking those to 130, resting then slicing them pencil thick?
sunrise

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16 14 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Slicer Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
sunrise wrote:

Are you just smoking those to 130, resting then slicing them pencil thick?

I smoked to 135, pulled, put in a cooler, and started to slice. I didnt rest too long as the ones in the cooler were resting as I was slicing. I slice thinner than pencil size, makes the TT more tender, also across the grain. I had to smoke the 50 in batch's, my Lang 60 wouldnt hold all 50, I also used my Onyx at the same timeI can hold about 12 at a time. Pretty sure my wrist & arm are still sore....
Souza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23 17 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the electric meat slicer, which is easier to slice meat and any other products also.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29 17 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Souza wrote:
I would suggest the electric meat slicer, which is easier to slice meat and any other products also.

I'm guessing after three years they have decided one way or the other.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Souza

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12 17 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reviews the best automatic meat slicer Reply with quote

Is there anyone who doesn't love great deli sandwiches? I have a best automatic meat slicer, which has given me a fantastic performance and I have made more recipes with this device. Many slicers have been made for all different types of food. This particular unit belongs to the latter category, allowing you to cut anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: