FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First cook with BGE. Pork butt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smcswain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05 14 11:22 am    Post subject: First cook with BGE. Pork butt Reply with quote

OK, everybody, I finally decided to take the plunge on the Big Green Egg, and I'm preparing for the maiden voyage with a 8.3 lb pork butt. I'm planning to do overnight cooks with it once I get more comfortable with it, but for the first time, I know I wouldn't sleep a wink, so I'm going to get up early and get it started. In the past with my WSM, when I wanted to get it done fast, I'd get it up to 150 or so then wrap and transfer to an oven at 350 to finish. My question is, with the BGE, can I get away without wrapping it and still finish it at 350? As I understand it, the Egg holds moisture so well that I shouldn't need to.

All input is greatly appreciated!
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05 14 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcswain, congratulations on your new cooker. There are a good number of proud BGE owners on the forum that will probably respond and give you specific information as time goes by. I see no problem running it at 350 unwrapped as long as you have a drip pan in. I'm not sure about your plate setter or heat deflector as to whether it needs to be in to cook at that temp. They do create a very moist cooking environment. Over time you might find 300 or 325 might be more effective than 350 or maybe not.

I have a Primo XL ceramic and really enjoy it's versatility. I have found that it took quite a bit of experimentation for me to find the sweet spot on how to set it up when cooking a particular cut. I had some early frustration with results but came to the realization that it is a different method of cooking and it takes a little time. I find my self often using aluminum catering pans as drip pans and not using the heat deflectors. It seemed at times that they radiated more heat and things cooked too fast with them in. I like using my upper racks when the product will fit in that space as it gives more separation from the firebox. I can say they are an absolute wing cooking machine and I love it for Prime Rib, Rack of Pork, Ribs, Steaks Pork Loins and Tenderloins. You'll want to read up on reverse sear. When cooking steaks, prime rib...things you want a sear on it is much more effective to cook at lower temps to start, remove the meat for a moment and bring it to high temp and sear on the end of the cook. They are very efficient cookers and it is much easier to take it up to temp than to bring it down. Overshooting your desired temperature can be a pain and a wait to get it back down. I still prefer my butts and brisket off of the stickburner but what I will often do is run the first half of butt and brisket cooks on my stickburner and then let them cruise on in on the Primo.

Best of luck with your BGE and hopefully Canadian Bacon, Griffin, Mossy Mo and other BGE owners will stop by and share the knowledge they have gained.

I saw in one of your previous posts you were looking for a crusty sear on your steaks. Your BGE will do it as well as it can be done by running temp up to 600-700 degrees. Doing a reverse sear on a 4.5 lb Porterhouse for 3 by cooking the steak at low temp until it achieves about 75% of it's target temp and then dialing up the heat to sear it on the end.

You will like ceramic cooking....it didn't cure me of my stickburner habit but it did open up a new way of cooking for me that is distinct in its own way. I must admit I got it as an alternative to all night smokes but found I still do those and I use the ceramic a lot more for grilling and what would have been those 3-6 hour cooks. I think people that have primarily used bullet smokers convert over easier to using a ceramic than those have primarily used stickburners. Be sure to comeback and post some of your cooks on your new machine.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
smcswain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the fantastic info and the pics! I'm very excited to try some steaks on the BGE, too.
smcswain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question... will doing the foil-towel-cooler thing after the cook soften the bark significantly?
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good bark to begin with you will be fine. I never pull mine without it resting foiled for at least 2 hours.

This probably sat wrapped for 3 hours. You can see a little glisten from moisture on the bark but you still get the texture and flavor.

30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smcswain - I don't own a BGE (I have cooked on one a couple of times - SWEET cookers), just wanted to say CONGRATS! You're gonna love it.

kc - Dinner isn't for a while, so I really didn't need to see those pics Laughing . Especially the veal and that Porterhouse and those wings and... Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hungry after those pics lol
jaronimo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06 14 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the egg club about two weeks ago too! I love it so far. Did a couple of small cooks and then on Saturday I did my first overnight cook, a 14 pound brisket. It came out great!

I started it at 10 pm and ran out of charcoal at 6:30am. My rookie mistake because I thought I was filling the charcoal to the top of the fire ring, but instead only filled it to the top of the fire bowl. So basically I had half the charcoal I needed. It was an easy fix, pull the grate off, pull the plate setter, and then add more charcoal. Only problem was it was 6:30 in the morning and it was 3 degrees outside. I could have done without that.

My UDS was great for holding solid temps, but the egg is in a whole nother category!
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09 14 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already cooked it? (if so, how did it turn out?)

I've never done a butt at 350 so I can't help much there. I do mine at 250 grate temp (I ignore the dome thermometer altogether) and I never foil during the cook. I ususally end up getting them done sooner than I expect, so I do the whole foil and cooler trick. Never noticed much of a change in the bark.

Oh, when you open the Egg to toss in the butt, the temperature will obviously drop. Do NOT do anything to adjust for that. If you had your temperature dialed in at a steady temp before tossing it in, it will return to that temp all by itself given time. If you try to adjust, it will overshoot and you will then have to compensate and you will be chasing temperatures for the whole cook. Get it steady before and don't mess with the settings after.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09 14 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great advice from the above posters smcswain....all I can add
is welcome to the world of ceramics.....
these are cooking machines and hold steady temps like you would not believe....
I love the BGE for the long cooks in the winter when its real super cold....
almost set it and forget it.....they are also very fuel efficient....
great all around cooker that can smoke,grill and even bake in it....great for making pizza. Laughing
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09 14 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of baking...wish I had gotten a picture of this bread before I sliced it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: